Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric guitar for noob
I tinkered around with an acoustic guitar in my youth for several years and got I dunno, decent I guess ? Literally like 40 years ago. I just bought a new lower end Fender acoustic oh several months ago and was trying to relearn but my granddaughter basically daughter got sick and has had a time last few months so my practice got put off.

She's getting much better now and I've recently started to practice again. However my old fingers are having a hard time with the string tension. Thye're not taking it very well, haha.

So, I've always wanted to try my hand at electrics and just have never rolled the dice. I've been looking pretty hard at a Gibson les paul tribute and a Fender champion 40 amp. I don't wanna break the bank but I also don't wanna sink big $$$ into something right off the jump.

Does that combo sound like a good start up or would you guys advise something else ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 10:08 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: my old fingers are having a hard time with the string tension. Thye're not taking it very well, haha.

That's because you used them more as a kid than an adult. If you are not wearing glasses, your doing it wrong.  Ninja

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 10:13 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: That's because you used them more as a kid than an adult. If you are not wearing glasses, your doing it wrong.  Ninja

Haha  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
there is a game called RockSmith... Which is suppose to help teach you to play a real guitar (not the plastic toy guitars)
Reply/Quote
I'd have a couple recommendations. First, on the acoustic front, you can get lighter guage strings. Not sure what you're using now, but I've got some Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze strings on one of my acoustics and the light guage are really easy to me. They make extra light but I'll break one in a week the way I play.

On the electric side, I'd go about this a little differently. There are so many body styles and they play and feel differently. I'd be more inclined to go the store and try out some guitars. LP, strat, tele, 335, etc. See which one feels best in your hands. Maybe you've done this, but if not, I think it's a good first step because you want something that feels comfy to want it in your hands often. For example, I really dislike the feel of a LP as much as I love the look. Just doesn't make me want to play as much as others.

If you're not wanting to drop big dollars and get an LP style, I probably wouldn't go Gibson. Gibson is great and it's the little things and details that make them what they are (plus the name on the headstock). But they're really pricey if you're just looking to learn and noodle. You can get an Epiphone for a fraction of the price but a very similar guitar. Some Epis are amazing quality. ESP makes some good one in the body style. I've seen one from Ibanez as well, but never played it. PRS has a similar thing, but I think they're a totally different category of guitar because of their unique scale length, and are pricey.

As far as amp... what kind of music are you going to be playing? I found one of the most frustrating things about electric was trying to get the tones I wanted out of the wrong amp. You can make anything work, and versatility is awesome, but sometimes the best starting point is knowing what sound you're going for. Being frustrated isn't a good way to get motivated to play in my experience at least!
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 11:49 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: there is a game called RockSmith... Which is suppose to help teach you to play a real guitar (not the plastic toy guitars)

Is this something online for computer ? I'm old and not tech savvy at all. 
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 01:01 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I'd have a couple recommendations.  First, on the acoustic front, you can get lighter guage strings.  Not sure what you're using now, but I've got some Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze strings on one of my acoustics and the light guage are really easy to me.  They make extra light but I'll break one in a week the way I play.  

On the electric side, I'd go about this a little differently.  There are so many body styles and they play and feel differently.  I'd be more inclined to go the store and try out some guitars.  LP, strat, tele, 335, etc.  See which one feels best in your hands.  Maybe you've done this, but if not, I think it's a good first step because you want something that feels comfy to want it in your hands often.  For example, I really dislike the feel of a LP as much as I love the look.  Just doesn't make me want to play as much as others.  

If you're not wanting to drop big dollars and get an LP style, I probably wouldn't go Gibson.  Gibson is great and it's the little things and details that make them what they are (plus the name on the headstock).  But they're really pricey if you're just looking to learn and noodle.  You can get an Epiphone for a fraction of the price but a very similar guitar.  Some Epis are amazing quality.  ESP makes some good one in the body style.  I've seen one from Ibanez as well, but never played it.  PRS has a similar thing, but I think they're a totally different category of guitar because of their unique scale length, and are pricey.  

As far as amp... what kind of music are you going to be playing?  I found one of the most frustrating things about electric was trying to get the tones I wanted out of the wrong amp.  You can make anything work, and versatility is awesome, but sometimes the best starting point is knowing what sound you're going for.  Being frustrated isn't a good way to get motivated to play in my experience at least!

Thanks

I'll probably run over to some local pawn shops and see what I can lay my hands on. I've just been dipping a toe into looking and one of the dings on the cheaper guitars I've read say 500 bucks or so is the necks are bad to bend, stretch, and shrink and very hard to keep in tune. Just playing for an hour and you have to retune them 3 times or whatever.

And I'm old school so to speak, 70's 80's rock and some country. Been learning Sweet Home Alabama and such.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 02:45 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Is this something online for computer ? I'm old and not tech savvy at all. 

https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/game/rocksmith/plus?scrlybrkr=b9ed8bcf

I think they have PC Version they had xbox/ps versions.. 

Looks like they are adding a ios and googleplay versions as well
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 02:50 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Thanks

I'll probably run over to some local pawn shops and see what I can lay my hands on. I've just been dipping a toe into looking and one of the dings on the cheaper guitars I've read say 500 bucks or so is the necks are bad to bend, stretch, and shrink and very hard to keep in tune. Just playing for an hour and you have to retune them 3 times or whatever.

And I'm old school so to speak, 70's 80's rock and some country. Been learning Sweet Home Alabama and such.

You can hit the pawn shops, but it'll be really hit and miss what you find (condition-wise).  I honestly recommend going to a music store with the biggest selection possible and just get your hands on a lot.  You'll learn a lot about the feel from that.  You'll also be able to grab a $5,000 and $500 guitar and maybe realize to your hands there's not much difference.  It can be pretty educational.  I bought my latest guitar a couple years ago and I made a trip to Guitar Center just for that reason.  Didn't even plug a single guitar in, just played about 5 different styles because I was trying to decide what I wanted (I was treating myself to a new guitar to celebrate 20 years of playing).  I wasn't going to buy my guitar there, but the selection is so massive I knew I'd be able to get my hands on everything I wanted to try.  Once you know what you're looking for, you can start shopping around to find the "one."  

That Fender amp you're looking at probably meets what you're wanting in terms of tone and I've seen good reviews on it.  Looking back, I wish I had gone the tube route out of the gate to get a set of tones I just couldn't with a solid state amp.  But 40 watts is more than enough if you're just playing at home (you could even consider the 20 and have plenty of volume).  And solid state is easier to maintain.  It's kind of amazing to me how amps have improved so much over the years and there are so many now that are good quality in the same price range.  

Definitely want to know how your search goes and what you decide to get! 
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 11:49 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: there is a game called RockSmith... Which is suppose to help teach you to play a real guitar (not the plastic toy guitars)

There is also a game called John Madden football that will make you a future NFL coach! Ninja
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 03:38 PM)GodFather Wrote: There is also a game called John Madden football that will make you a future NFL coach! Ninja

you make fun.... But seeing things in Madden as far as routes options defensive alignments and all that gives you a better understanding for how things work in the game.  and visa versa.     
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 02:54 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/game/rocksmith/plus?scrlybrkr=b9ed8bcf

I think they have PC Version they had xbox/ps versions.. 

Looks like they are adding a ios and googleplay versions as well

Been eyeballing that for years and picked it up on the Steam holiday sale for like 9$ just in case I decide to learn the guitar sometime in the future.
Reply/Quote
I think we should get the band back together! Who's in?
ThumbsUp
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 03:31 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: You can hit the pawn shops, but it'll be really hit and miss what you find (condition-wise).  I honestly recommend going to a music store with the biggest selection possible and just get your hands on a lot.  You'll learn a lot about the feel from that.  You'll also be able to grab a $5,000 and $500 guitar and maybe realize to your hands there's not much difference.  It can be pretty educational.  I bought my latest guitar a couple years ago and I made a trip to Guitar Center just for that reason.  Didn't even plug a single guitar in, just played about 5 different styles because I was trying to decide what I wanted (I was treating myself to a new guitar to celebrate 20 years of playing).  I wasn't going to buy my guitar there, but the selection is so massive I knew I'd be able to get my hands on everything I wanted to try.  Once you know what you're looking for, you can start shopping around to find the "one."  

That Fender amp you're looking at probably meets what you're wanting in terms of tone and I've seen good reviews on it.  Looking back, I wish I had gone the tube route out of the gate to get a set of tones I just couldn't with a solid state amp.  But 40 watts is more than enough if you're just playing at home (you could even consider the 20 and have plenty of volume).  And solid state is easier to maintain.  It's kind of amazing to me how amps have improved so much over the years and there are so many now that are good quality in the same price range.  

Definitely want to know how your search goes and what you decide to get! 

Thanks again

I wouldn't buy a used guitar at a pawn shop. Just to get a feel as you say. I'm not that big on buying used anything as a general rule. My hands are probably medium size and I know I'll not be able to handle a big neck so that will play into it. And I don't want a real heavy guitar.

Other than that I'm pretty open to whatever. I just don't want to go real cheap and then regret it a year from now.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 09:32 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I think we should get the band back together!  Who's in?
ThumbsUp

I've got a tank full of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and I'm wearing sunglasses.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2022, 12:28 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I've got a tank full of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and I'm wearing sunglasses.

[Image: blues-brothers-hot.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2022, 12:24 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Thanks again

I wouldn't buy a used guitar at a pawn shop. Just to get a feel as you say. I'm not that big on buying used anything as a general rule. My hands are probably medium size and I know I'll not be able to handle a big neck so that will play into it. And I don't want a real heavy guitar.

Other than that I'm pretty open to whatever. I just don't want to go real cheap and then regret it a year from now.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...can you play?  I'm talking world tour man.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2022, 01:01 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Yeah, yeah, yeah...can you play?  I'm talking world tour man.

Can I play ?? Does a lion crap where it wants to ? Can Joe Burrow throw a football ?

No not really.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2022, 12:24 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Thanks again

Sounds like the anti ad for a Les Paul  Tongue  There are still some lighter LPs, but I'd stay away from the 50s style neck if you go Gibson/Epiphone, as those are thicker.  The neck radius will vary from other manufacturers.  

When I got my first electric, I ended up with a Fender strat.  That guitar to this day fits like a glove against my body and I can wear it for hours.  I've got other guitars, but I still always gravitate toward to that one if I'm going to be playing a while because it just feels the best to me.  Finding the right guitar is a great feeling. 
Reply/Quote
Not sure what you want to spend, but if you are looking for a comfortable electric to play while seated, you can't beat the Stratocaster. I have a room full of acoustic and electric guitars, and one of my favorites to play is the cheapest guitar I own. It's a Made in Mexico Fender Blacktop Stratocaster (Blacktop just referring to the pickup configuration) Get you a Mexican Strat, they can be had new for about 400 dollars, and play exceptionally well. I have several friends who worked in the industry, and they turned me onto them when I was looking for an American made Srat. Lots's of touring musicians have expensive guitars but take their Mexican Strats on the road. I got mine with a maple neck and love it. (only maple neck I own.)
Reply/Quote