Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric guitar for noob
(01-17-2022, 01:36 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I've not bought a guitar from Sweetwater, but I would without a second thought.  Like Sled says, they sell guitars individually.  Not just by the model and then you get whatever is laying in a warehouse.  My understanding is that you can even choose a specific guitar if you like the finish on one better than another, for example.  Sweetwater has great customer service, too.  I've bought a lot of other things from them, and they seem like just genuinely cool people.  

And I think at least getting your hands on a player model strat is wise.  I think it's an awesome guitar.  Mine has a humbucker in the bridge position (a "fat strat"), but hands down my favorite guitar in my collection. 

Right about the pictures. If they have five of the same model, they will put up pictures of each with the serial number, so you can pick whichever one you like the best.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 09:49 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Sometimes I turn up the bass on my stereo system.

Got any demo tapes?

(01-14-2022, 01:40 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: My 3 year old granddaughter would be a good drummer. Maybe ?

We might have to start out in some back alley bars, she might be a little "green" for that type of environment.

(01-14-2022, 05:39 PM)magikod Wrote: I used to play bass for fun few years back. But ended up selling it.

I need to buy a cheap 150-200$ one again just to mess around with.

Really fun to play Joy Division songs lol.

Can you compare your playing style to anyone we'd know?
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2022, 11:33 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Got any demo tapes?

We might have to start out in some back alley bars, she might be a little "green" for that type of environment.

Can you compare your playing style to anyone we'd know?

Guitar playing?

I'd say similar to Bob Dylan, chords with a bit of fingerpicking to make it sound more interesting.

I'm mostly into playing folk/old school songs. 

Here's a few of my video's from YouTube:

[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 12:59 PM)magikod Wrote: Guitar playing?

I'd say similar to Bob Dylan, chords with a bit of fingerpicking to make it sound more interesting.

I'm mostly into playing folk/old school songs. 

Here's a few of my video's from YouTube:

I took out the vids so it didn't take up a lot of room.  Bro, that is good playing.  All joking aside, you have talent man!

[Image: FAz3.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2022, 02:52 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I took out the vids so it didn't take up a lot of room.  Bro, that is good playing.  All joking aside, you have talent man!

[Image: FAz3.gif]

Thanks bro, always looking for people to jam with!
I don't play as much as I used to, I need to pick it up more. 
I used to play at least hour and a half a day, anymore I'm lucky to play about 4 or 5 hours a week.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2022, 12:57 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I used to be that way until I found Sweetwater. They not only put up a stock photo of a guitar, they take detailed pictures of every single guitar they sell from every angle, so you can see the woodgrain you're getting, the serial number, etc. Then they run an inspection on it before they ship it. If you get it and don't like it, return it free with no hassle at all. I've probably bought 7-8 guitars from them, both electric and acoustic. Plus one Mesa Boogie MkV 10/45/90 combo amp with no problem at all. When I bought my MkV, it was a returned item, marked down because it was supposed to have a small scratch on the switchplate. Got a heck of a deal on it, being a returned item. I called them and the salesman went and looked at it, and said otherwise it looked in perfect condition. When it arrived, it was perfect, looked like new and never out of the box, and I still can't see any scratch on it. The reverb did not work though. So, where the reverb plugs in there are two unmarked RCA plugs in the back. I pulled them off and switched them, and the reverb works perfect. I suspect that is why the original buyer sent it back. Saved me 400.00 off new.

Thanks Sled, will check out Sweetwater, is it just sweetwater.com?
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 07:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thanks Sled, will check out Sweetwater, is it just sweetwater.com?

Correct.  And they have some pretty cool sales people there as well if you contact them.  Definitely not the same experience as the local Guitar Center! 
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 09:02 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Correct.  And they have some pretty cool sales people there as well if you contact them.  Definitely not the same experience as the local Guitar Center! 

Thanks MHG! Got me excited here. Gonna have to get me an Electric now! Rock On
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2022, 11:18 PM)magikod Wrote: Thanks bro, always looking for people to jam with!
I don't play as much as I used to, I need to pick it up more. 
I used to play at least hour and a half a day, anymore I'm lucky to play about 4 or 5 hours a week.

Absolutely.  If I could play, and sing as well as you, I'd never stop.  You learned for a reason man.  Hold on to it!
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 12:45 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Absolutely.  If I could play, and sing as well as you, I'd never stop.  You learned for a reason man.  Hold on to it!

I can't sing worth a dang, need to find a good singer.  Cool
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 02:39 AM)magikod Wrote: I can't sing worth a dang, need to find a good singer.  Cool

Okay, we'll work on that man.  I think I was stoned the first time listening to it.
Reply/Quote
I started with classical guitar and eventually stayed with classical guitar, folk & electrical just don't feel the same. Are you trying to start a Bengals playoffs band? Tongue
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2022, 11:22 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Okay, we'll work on that man.  I think I was stoned the first time listening to it.

Haha nothing wrong with that! I'm stoned right now  Hilarious

(01-22-2022, 12:20 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: I started with classical guitar and eventually stayed with classical guitar, folk & electrical just don't feel the same. Are you trying to start a Bengals playoffs band? Tongue

We def need to star the Bengals Jam Band!!  Who Dey
Reply/Quote
Question for the regular guitar players out there who frequent music store.

Back story, I RARELY find the time to play, sometimes more than 6 months can go by without playing. As such, some of my guitars have gone untouched for years at a time. I have two old chipboard cases that house two of them, and the cases are cracked and falling apart, so I want to replace them. I was just looking online to find replacements and can't seem to find any that aren't used. Are these no longer made or available? I prefer them over bags, and the nice thing is they can actually fit into my rack so I'm taking up less space storing them.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2022, 01:29 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Question for the regular guitar players out there who frequent music store.

Back story, I RARELY find the time to play, sometimes more than 6 months can go by without playing.  As such, some of my guitars have gone untouched for years at a time.  I have two old chipboard cases that house two of them, and the cases are cracked and falling apart, so I want to replace them.  I was just looking online to find replacements and can't seem to find any that aren't used.  Are these no longer made or available?  I prefer them over bags, and the nice thing is they can actually fit into my rack so I'm taking up less space storing them.

I'm not sure if you're looking for one case in particular, but I know these still exist.  Sweetwater and Guitar Center both sell them, and a lot of times the company that makes the guitar will also sell them.  All brand-new.  I only use a gig bag on my little travel guitar, because I want it to be lightweight and easy to carry around, and it's a cheap guitar so I'm not as worried about it (Takamine G series if anyone cares.  There's a sizable gash already out of the headstock from my kids grabbing it to play around, too). 
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 11:58 AM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I'm not sure if you're looking for one case in particular, but I know these still exist.  Sweetwater and Guitar Center both sell them, and a lot of times the company that makes the guitar will also sell them.  All brand-new.  I only use a gig bag on my little travel guitar, because I want it to be lightweight and easy to carry around, and it's a cheap guitar so I'm not as worried about it (Takamine G series if anyone cares.  There's a sizable gash already out of the headstock from my kids grabbing it to play around, too). 

I couldn't find them on either or their websites, but if you say they sell them I'm sure I can call my local Guitar Center and see if they either have them in store or can get them for me.

Thanks!
Reply/Quote
Anyone know a good cheap electric guitar amp, like Line 6 or something with some effects already built into it?

So I don't have to have buy a bunch of effect pedals, etc.

Looking to spend around 200-250$ max preferably.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 01:41 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I couldn't find them on either or their websites, but if you say they sell them I'm sure I can call my local Guitar Center and see if they either have them in store or can get them for me.

Thanks!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/best/guitar_cases

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Guitar-Cases-and-Gig-Bags.gc#narrowSideBar

Are any of those hard shell cases listed above what you're looking for?
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 01:56 PM)magikod Wrote: Anyone know a good cheap electric guitar amp, like Line 6 or something with some effects already built into it?

So I don't have to have buy a bunch of effect pedals, etc.

Looking to spend around 200-250$ max preferably.

Do you have an amp already?  Or is this the only amp, but wanting to add the effects?
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 02:56 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/best/guitar_cases

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Guitar-Cases-and-Gig-Bags.gc#narrowSideBar

Are any of those hard shell cases listed above what you're looking for?

They all look a little thicker than I was thinking of.  I just need to go instore and ask.

Thanks for the time and effort!
Reply/Quote