Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric guitar for noob
(01-23-2022, 03:06 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: They all look a little thicker than I was thinking of.  I just need to go instore and ask.

Thanks for the time and effort!

Oh, you're talking about the thin hardshells?  I don't think they really make those any more.  That's "vintage" these days.  I'm sure you can find them, but I haven't seen one of those not used in a store, maybe ever in my 22 years of playing.  Asking at a store you might get lucky, though! 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 02:58 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Do you have an amp already?  Or is this the only amp, but wanting to add the effects?

I have a shitty amp right now, kind of made for electric acoustic my friend gave me.

I would like something with some built in like wah wah, distortion, chorus, etc effects.

Only like 10 or 15 watt is ok with me. Just a practice amp
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 03:08 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Oh, you're talking about the thin hardshells?  I don't think they really make those any more.  That's "vintage" these days.  I'm sure you can find them, but I haven't seen one of those not used in a store, maybe ever in my 22 years of playing.  Asking at a store you might get lucky, though! 

Yes.  They're thin enough to fit into a guitar rack while still protecting from impact.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 03:21 PM)magikod Wrote: I have a shitty amp right now, kind of made for electric acoustic my friend gave me.

I would like something with some built in like wah wah, distortion, chorus, etc effects.

Only like 10 or 15 watt is ok with me. Just a practice amp

What is your current amp, if you don't mind me asking?  Depending on the amp, it might be easier to get a multi-effects unit and keep that amp.  But shitty means different things to different people so I'm curious  Smirk
Reply/Quote
I have a small Marshall MG15CFX that I bought when I got my first electric. It has clean/crunch channels, 2 Overdrives, plus reverb built in. It's not a tube amp, but more a practice amp. I usually use my big Mesa Boogie MkV, but if the wife is home I still sometimes just use the Marshall. These can be found for around $200.00
https://marshall.com/marshall-amps/products/archive/mg-carbon-fibre/mg15cfx

I think they have updated models out now though, but it ought to get you close. It's as loud as you would want for a practice at home amp.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 01:27 AM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: What is your current amp, if you don't mind me asking?  Depending on the amp, it might be easier to get a multi-effects unit and keep that amp.  But shitty means different things to different people so I'm curious  Smirk

Electric acoustic amps are different animals from electric amps. I have a Fishman Loudbox Artist for my electric acoustics. It's an excellent amp for acoustic guitars. I don't play out anywhere, so I use it mostly for loopers, etc.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 01:27 AM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: What is your current amp, if you don't mind me asking?  Depending on the amp, it might be easier to get a multi-effects unit and keep that amp.  But shitty means different things to different people so I'm curious  Smirk

It's an acoustic amp, with a phaser effect but its total bullshit for any electric guitar. No over-drive, etc.

(01-24-2022, 02:30 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I have a small Marshall MG15CFX that I bought when I got my first electric. It has clean/crunch channels, 2 Overdrives, plus reverb built in. It's not a tube amp, but more a practice amp. I usually use my big Mesa Boogie MkV, but if the wife is home I still sometimes just use the Marshall. These can be found for around $200.00
  https://marshall.com/marshall-amps/products/archive/mg-carbon-fibre/mg15cfx

I think they have updated models out now though, but it ought to get you close. It's as loud as you would want for a practice at home amp.

This looks like an ideal option. Nice effects built in, OD1 and 2 which is nice...

Have you heard of Line 6? 
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 02:33 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Electric acoustic amps are different animals from electric amps. I have a Fishman Loudbox Artist for my electric acoustics. It's an excellent amp for acoustic guitars. I don't play out anywhere, so I use it mostly for loopers, etc.

I've heard people say various "clean" amps are for acoustics (Rolands and Fenders specifically) when they're electric amps, so didn't want to assume. But yes, there are definitely acoustic amps. I've always wanted to try a Fishman amp just to see how it sounds. Never needed one with a nice Fishman pre on my guitar and both mic and pickup in the guitar, but still curious!

(01-24-2022, 02:58 PM)magikod Wrote: It's an acoustic amp, with a phaser effect but its total bullshit for any electric guitar. No over-drive, etc.

This looks like an ideal option. Nice effects built in, OD1 and 2 which is nice...

That Marshall is probably a great amp. It's funny because it seems everyone is making these modeling amps these days, and even well-known tube amp companies are making some nice solid state combos with effects and modeling built in (Marshall, Fender, Vox). Fender also makes one (Mustang) that has effects and modeling. The Fender has a USB port as well, but not sure you're connecting with a computer (or even your phone) so that might not make any difference.

And then yes, Line 6. I've got an old POD 2.0 I still use at times because it honestly does a halfway decent job at certain amp sounds. They were the first big name in the modeling game, and the Spider amp has been around forever (albeit in many forms over the years). Without doing a head-to-head, I'm going to assume that the Line 6 has more amp models and effects than either the Fender or Marshall and I *think* you can stack effects with the Line 6, which I don't believe you can with other similar amps. If you're looking for straight versatility at home, I think the Line 6 is still pretty hard to beat for the price and features. The Spider V 20 MkII is probably the model in line for your price range and size.

I'm sure it's in one of these threads about guitar already, but this is truly the golden era of guitars. Yes, equipment made 60 years ago is what people are chasing now because of tone and history and nostalgia, but the sheer number of manufacturers right now making solid instruments and equipment and the choices that exist is amazing. On top of that, the wealth of knowledge online is staggering. Lessons, reviews, the ability to share music and collaborate globally from home. I don't think there's ever been a better time to get into guitar or try something new.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 03:24 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I've heard people say various "clean" amps are for acoustics (Rolands and Fenders specifically) when they're electric amps, so didn't want to assume.  But yes, there are definitely acoustic amps.  I've always wanted to try a Fishman amp just to see how it sounds.  Never needed one with a nice Fishman pre on my guitar and both mic and pickup in the guitar, but still curious!

That Marshall is probably a great amp.  It's funny because it seems everyone is making these modeling amps these days, and even well-known tube amp companies are making some nice solid state combos with effects and modeling built in (Marshall, Fender, Vox).  Fender also makes one (Mustang) that has effects and modeling.  The Fender has a USB port as well, but not sure you're connecting with a computer (or even your phone) so that might not make any difference.  

And then yes, Line 6.  I've got an old POD 2.0 I still use at times because it honestly does a halfway decent job at certain amp sounds.  They were the first big name in the modeling game, and the Spider amp has been around forever (albeit in many forms over the years).  Without doing a head-to-head, I'm going to assume that the Line 6 has more amp models and effects than either the Fender or Marshall and I *think* you can stack effects with the Line 6, which I don't believe you can with other similar amps. If you're looking for straight versatility at home, I think the Line 6 is still pretty hard to beat for the price and features.  The Spider V 20 MkII is probably the model in line for your price range and size.

I'm sure it's in one of these threads about guitar already, but this is truly the golden era of guitars.  Yes, equipment made 60 years ago is what people are chasing now because of tone and history and nostalgia, but the sheer number of manufacturers right now making solid instruments and equipment and the choices that exist is amazing.  On top of that, the wealth of knowledge online is staggering.  Lessons, reviews, the ability to share music and collaborate globally from home.  I don't think there's ever been a better time to get into guitar or try something new.

Yeah I learned all through online-, and my grandma emailing me chords (upside down) for a lefty back in the day lol..

Marshall amp sounds like a good choice, I mainly play acoustic anymore but I wanted to fiddle with electric again. Just wanted some good sounds instead of always playing clean or full on distortion overdrive lol.

You play guitar yourself? Live near Columbus, Ohio?! Lets jam!!
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 03:27 PM)magikod Wrote: Yeah I learned all through online-, and my grandma emailing me chords (upside down) for a lefty back in the day lol..

Marshall amp sounds like a good choice, I mainly play acoustic anymore but I wanted to fiddle with electric again. Just wanted some good sounds instead of always playing clean or full on distortion overdrive lol.

You play guitar yourself? Live near Columbus, Ohio?! Lets jam!!

I do play, yes.  I've been playing since 2000, acoustic and electric.  Several bands in HS and college but nothing more than noodling since.  I've got two standing invites to join local bands but I don't have the time to dedicate to it, though I do miss performing.  There are definitely some guys on this board that I know have way better chops than I do, though! 

I live in Colorado, otherwise I'm always down for a jam! 
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 03:34 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I do play, yes.  I've been playing since 2000, acoustic and electric.  Several bands in HS and college but nothing more than noodling since.  I've got two standing invites to join local bands but I don't have the time to dedicate to it, though I do miss performing.  There are definitely some guys on this board that I know have way better chops than I do, though! 

I live in Colorado, otherwise I'm always down for a jam! 

ive been playing since 2008 myself. i got a few videos i posted earlier in the thread.

i mainly play acoustic anymore, cause i play with myself mostly. 

i was in a few bands during HS/after HS...we wanted to be the next nirvana lol
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 02:58 PM)magikod Wrote: This looks like an ideal option. Nice effects built in, OD1 and 2 which is nice...

Line 6 is good stuff. I've never had one of their amps, but have heard others say good things about them. I do have one of their loopers with backing tracks built into it and it's a tank. Great for noodling around... here is a video review I found online of it.

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2022, 04:18 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Line 6 is good stuff. I've never had one of their amps, but have heard others say good things about them. I do have one of their loopers with backing tracks built into it and it's a tank. Great for noodling around... here is a video review I found online of it.

Kickass, I've always wanted a simple looper to make a riff up, put it on repeat then pick out some notes over top of it.
Reply/Quote
Quote:i mainly play acoustic anymore, cause i play with myself mostly. 
Personally I try to keep the noise level down when I play with myself..mostly..  Usually one of those,  you know...private moments? Smirk
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I played electric for the first time in about 22 years a couple weeks ago. It was a small Kurt Cobain Strat and the kid
that had it was a shredder, he could play really fast but didn't have any timing as he was half deaf. He gave me a chance
on the baby as I am not a known electric dude as you know, all acoustic all the time but play acoustic electric on my 12
string, anyways...

I was playing at a party and played a few of my songs while singing at the same time and did some solos and everyone
was pretty blown away. Was really cool, I think I am going to get an electric now with a badazz pedal like that kid had.

Wanted to bring back this thread anyways guys. Rock On
Reply/Quote
I recently upgraded to Amplitube 5, the full version and downloaded Ableton Live and EZ Drummer so i can actually make some real music now instead of just sitting around noodling all the time. 

Ola Englund has a segment on his Youtube channel called Sunday's with Ola where he uploads a drum track that he creates and people can d/l it and record some riffs, upload it and he will show them during his live streams on Monday mornings (the following week). One of these days i'm gonna do that. 

Been mostly spending all my time hacking away at some Children of Bodom (are you dead yet) and The Haunted (Abysmal). After many years of picking and grinning, i decided to totally trash the way i've always played and i've been working on different types of phrasing and mixing things up with scales, trying to be more unconventional. Been pretty fun, actually. 

The amount of songs i used to know by heart, that i've now mostly forgotten because of such a long layoff, is astounding and a little frustrating at times so i also spend some time going over (re-learning) all that stuff; Metallica, Dream Theater, Alice in Chains, etc. 

The crazy thing is how some nights i'll pick it up and it's almost like i've never even played a guitar before and then the next night i'll be shredding my ass off with little effort. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 01:56 PM)magikod Wrote: Anyone know a good cheap electric guitar amp, like Line 6 or something with some effects already built into it?

So I don't have to have buy a bunch of effect pedals, etc.

Looking to spend around 200-250$ max preferably.

Just get a used Fender Mustang III.

You can get them for $200 or usually less.

The amp can provide you with the effects and everything you could possibly need.

If you can find one with both the 4-button and 2-button switches included that's even better.

Clean tones are probably the best made for cheap modeling amp.

I've gotten decent distorted sounds by adjusting or making my own.

The factory loaded patches for electric are mostly crap.

The main thing is finding the noise gate in the amp and turning it on for any gain or high gain sounds.

Otherwise it's very noisy.

Putting in the time to figure the amp settings out makes owning this amp worth well more than you'll pay for it.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could find one for $150 locally.

I picked up one for $180 that was like brand new.

The program FUSE that allows you to make adjustments to the amp has been discontinued but you can still get an aftermarket app for your phone called Remuda that allows you to adjust and store patches.

The best thing about the Mustang is you can make any adjustments on the small LCD screen built into the amp.

It even has a built in tuner.

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=mustang%20III%20amp

[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2022, 11:13 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I recently upgraded to Amplitube 5, the full version and downloaded Ableton Live and EZ Drummer so i can actually make some real music now instead of just sitting around noodling all the time. 

Ola Englund has a segment on his Youtube channel called Sunday's with Ola where he uploads a drum track that he creates and people can d/l it and record some riffs, upload it and he will show them during his live streams on Monday mornings (the following week). One of these days i'm gonna do that. 

Been mostly spending all my time hacking away at some Children of Bodom (are you dead yet) and The Haunted (Abysmal). After many years of picking and grinning, i decided to totally trash the way i've always played and i've been working on different types of phrasing and mixing things up with scales, trying to be more unconventional. Been pretty fun, actually. 

The amount of songs i used to know by heart, that i've now mostly forgotten because of such a long layoff, is astounding and a little frustrating at times so i also spend some time going over (re-learning) all that stuff; Metallica, Dream Theater, Alice in Chains, etc. 

The crazy thing is how some nights i'll pick it up and it's almost like i've never even played a guitar before and then the next night i'll be shredding my ass off with little effort. 

Sometimes I hate the way I play.

Other times I think I'm pretty damn good.

It just depends on the mood I suppose and the mental clarity.  LOL  It happens duuuude!
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2022, 08:43 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Sometimes I hate the way I play.

Other times I think I'm pretty damn good.

It just depends on the mood I suppose and the mental clarity.  LOL  It happens duuuude!

Yes, it is all in your mindset and how comfortable you are honestly.

Sometimes even Jimmy Hendrix sounded like crap lol

BTW, thanks for the heads up on the Fender Mustang III.

Will be looking for one now along with the best, cheapest, electric I can find. Rock On
Reply/Quote
Check out the prices at monoprice.com for guitars. I know a few players who swear by them for the money. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote