Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric guitar for noob
(01-11-2022, 11:49 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: there is a game called RockSmith... Which is suppose to help teach you to play a real guitar (not the plastic toy guitars)

Late to the party but can confirm. Also turns your home theater into an amp, if you don't wanna pay for one.

Anyways that's how I learned how to play guitar and bass. There's plenty of exercise games in it.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2022, 11:59 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Late to the party but can confirm. Also turns your home theater into an amp, if you don't wanna pay for one.

Anyways that's how I learned how to play guitar and bass. There's plenty of exercise games in it.

Awesome, will tell my friends and family about this, thanks Xeno and BPK. Rock On
Reply/Quote
I don’t play anymore. I have a Kramer metal neck, and used to play several hours a week, more when i was in college. I’m thinking of taking up classical when I retire. My right shoulder is jacked up, partly because of playin, so I’m thinking that standing it up will help with that.
Go Benton Panthers!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I used to play quite a bit until my index finger got in a fight with a table saw blade..I can still play some, that fingertip is always numb so I miss most of the chords I used to be able to hit..  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2022, 12:24 PM)SladeX Wrote: I don’t play anymore. I have a Kramer metal neck, and used to play several hours a week, more when i was in college. I’m thinking of taking up classical when I retire. My right shoulder is jacked up, partly because of playin, so I’m thinking that standing it up will help with that.

You are going to stand up your guitar like a Cello? That is different.

Maybe try the lap with a slide. Some dudes are amazing playing like that..

(08-22-2022, 06:41 PM)grampahol Wrote: I used to play quite a bit until my index finger got in a fight with a table saw blade..I can still play some, that fingertip is always numb so I miss most of the chords I used to be able to hit..  

Rough, being a Carpenter I am always so damn careful with my fingers and hands as I always am using table saws, band saws
and every other type of saw you can imagine but those 2 lose fingers more than any other saws. Had a buddy come and play 
guitar with me and he lost his pinky in a saw accident. Probably why I still have mine.

Grinders can also be extremely dangerous.

Don't know what I would do without a finger. Gotta be extremely careful all the while being confident and enjoying it while being
a Carpenter. Not easy.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2022, 09:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You are going to stand up your guitar like a Cello? That is different.

Maybe try the lap with a slide. Some dudes are amazing playing like that..

Rough, being a Carpenter I am always so damn careful with my fingers and hands as I always am using table saws, band saws
and every other type of saw you can imagine but those 2 lose fingers more than any other saws. Had a buddy come and play 
guitar with me and he lost his pinky in a saw accident. Probably why I still have mine.

Grinders can also be extremely dangerous.

Don't know what I would do without a finger. Gotta be extremely careful all the while being confident and enjoying it while being
a Carpenter. Not easy.

You ever hear/see Phil Keaggy?  He lost his middle finger on his right hand in a farming accident growing up.  He's one of the most phenomenal fingerstyle players in the world.  He's Christian, so his music with lyrics might not be up everyone's alley, but his instrumental work is breathtaking (and comprises many albums).  I've seen him 3 times live over the years and he's one of the most humble and gifted musicians.  He's been rather innovative with his loop work, multi-capos, non-standard tunings and tapping techniques as well. 

I can't play fingerstyle worth a damn to begin with, so I can't imagine doing it like he does and missing a finger! 

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2022, 11:06 AM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: You ever hear/see Phil Keaggy?  He lost his middle finger on his right hand in a farming accident growing up.  He's one of the most phenomenal fingerstyle players in the world.  He's Christian, so his music with lyrics might not be up everyone's alley, but his instrumental work is breathtaking (and comprises many albums).  I've seen him 3 times live over the years and he's one of the most humble and gifted musicians.  He's been rather innovative with his loop work, multi-capos, non-standard tunings and tapping techniques as well. 

I can't play fingerstyle worth a damn to begin with, so I can't imagine doing it like he does and missing a finger! 

Yes MHG, I heard of Phil Keaggy before and watched a few of his vids years ago. Dude is great.

Would suck to lose any finger but that might be one you could deal with being a right handed guitartist and losing your
middle picking finger over losing a finger on your left hand where you have to play the neck. Same way with fingerstyle.

Cannot play that style worth a lick. I am a pick guy all the way. Have to play with a pick pretty much. I change it up once
in awhile and play without a pick but I am not near the guitarist that way. Too quiet for me. Love all the dudes that play 
in this style though, big time fan of finger style cause I am no good at it. 

It is the way you have to learn from the beginning. I learned pick style from the beginning, hard to change it up after.

Really like Trace Bundy, John Butler Trio, Marcin, Estas Tonne, Luca, Andy Mckee etc.

Seems like thousands of fantastic fingerstyle players.
Reply/Quote
Thanks guys for turning me onto Sweetwater.com I ordered me a new electric finally...

An Ibanez Gio GRX Red Burst with a Boss MT 2-3A 30th Anniversary Metal Zone Distortion Pedal.

Also got a Gator gig bag for it, an Ernie Ball strap, instrument cables and a guitar stand.

Excited to say the least. Everything was 5 stars according to the reviews and I got it all for under 500 bucks.

Really surprised me how easy it was and the quality of the website. Should be getting my gear on the 26th.Yes
Reply/Quote
I was secretly rooting for a shoe box and a handful of rubber bands. We used to play the shoe box when we were kids..  

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2022, 04:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thanks guys for turning me onto Sweetwater.com I ordered me a new electric finally...

An Ibanez Gio GRX Red Burst with a Boss MT 2-3A 30th Anniversary Metal Zone Distortion Pedal.

Also got a Gator gig bag for it, an Ernie Ball strap, instrument cables and a guitar stand.

Excited to say the least. Everything was 5 stars according to the reviews and I got it all for under 500 bucks.

Really surprised me how easy it was and the quality of the website. Should be getting my gear on the 26th.Yes

Looking forward to hearing how you like the new rig when it arrives! 
Reply/Quote
Sure you'll enjoy it. I was ok with acoustic till I mangled my index finger ..Never quite could get the hang of the electric..I've always picked or strummed with my thumb nail ..Didn't quite sound right on an electric..
Good luck with your endeavor and soon as you become a international super star I'll say,  "I don't care about the lives of the stars. Never heard of him..!" <-- my preemptive ringing endorsement of your stardom!  ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2022, 11:16 AM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Looking forward to hearing how you like the new rig when it arrives! 

Just got it all yesterday, it sounds fantastic. Couldn't believe how nice of a guitar I got for under 200 bucks and the pedal
can make any tone I want. I wanted something crunchy with alt metal sound and this has it and everything else. Stayed up
late last night playing my acoustic songs and trying to adapt them to the alt metal genre...

Not easy but it is possible, just have to learn how to sing a bit different on the mic. Sweetwater also sent me an extra gig
bag, an acoustic guitar case and a double pack of instrument cables. These guys are great, and I am going to recommend 
them to every musician I know from now on. Will have to tell our contact how satisfied I am with the purchase and overall
quality. Sweetwater is the best!

Rock On

(09-21-2022, 01:25 PM)grampahol Wrote: Sure you'll enjoy it. I was ok with acoustic till I mangled my index finger ..Never quite could get the hang of the electric..I've always picked or strummed with my thumb nail ..Didn't quite sound right on an electric..
Good luck with your endeavor and soon as you become a international super star I'll say,  "I don't care about the lives of the stars. Never heard of him..!" <-- my preemptive ringing endorsement of your stardom!  ThumbsUp

"The only stars I believe in are in the sky" Loretta Lynn I believe said that.

We will see how it goes, was impressing my family last night so that is a start. I know all the chords and can sing and
write tons of songs so I have some gifts. Going to keep working that is for sure and will let people know if I start a
youtube channel. Could happen, people make a lot of dough doing this. Could be in the cards for me instead of possibly
mangling my fingers being a carpenter like you did Gramps lol
Reply/Quote
When you're cutting lumber with your handy skill saw think about your fingers instead of how much fun you might have with all the young groupies.. LOL

Reply/Quote
Nate, soon as you get really good play us that uber cheesy song, Wipeout! LOL
I can't wait to be 3 again listening to it from down the hall in my brothers room.. 

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2022, 04:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thanks guys for turning me onto Sweetwater.com I ordered me a new electric finally...

Nice !
I'm running an Ibanez rgrt421 faded black, like this...

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RGRT421WK--ibanez-rgrt421-weathered-black

And a Vox VT20X amp, transplanted into an old Fender cabinet with a 12" speaker.

I only riff around, but I love the action and the amp is quite versatile.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2022, 12:52 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: Nice !

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RGRT421WK--ibanez-rgrt421-weathered-black

And a Vox VT20X amp, transplanted into an old Fender cabinet with a 12" speaker.

Love those wizard necks!  So easy to play.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Hey Nate, if you can play Row Row Your Boat you can master Walk, Don't Run and the rest of those goofy Ventures songs..  Wink

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2022, 12:52 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: Nice !

Man, I am surprised how good this guitar sounds honestly. I can do anything with it,

From David Gilmour of Floyd to Billy G of ZZ Top. The Boss pedal is nice but i didn't know I needed a 9 volt
battery every time I play. Remember to unplug your battery after you play or it will waste your battery!

Haven't been able to get into my heavy tones as much as I would like to, Alt metal and such.

Still, Sweetwater treats you very well and gives me some thought of mankind doing good for others like I try.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2022, 02:57 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Man, I am surprised how good this guitar sounds honestly. I can do anything with it,

From David Gilmour of Floyd to Billy G of ZZ Top. The Boss pedal is nice but i didn't know I needed a 9 volt
battery every time I play. Remember to unplug your battery after you play or it will waste your battery!

Haven't been able to get into my heavy tones as much as I would like to, Alt metal and such.

Still, Sweetwater treats you very well and gives me some thought of mankind doing good for others like I try.

Just unplug the guitar input when you aren't playing.  I believe that will keep the battery from draining down so quickly.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2022, 08:10 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Just unplug the guitar input when you aren't playing.  I believe that will keep the battery from draining down so quickly.

Thanks, much easier than prying the battery out of the pedal lol
Reply/Quote