Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Elephant in the Room
(11-07-2021, 11:57 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Tbh, I think when Dalton hit 0-2 in the playoffs is when the debate really went nuclear, and that was year 2. There was definitely some naysayers way before that though.

Nah. The heavy criticism came after the loss to the Chargers at home, year 3. I didn't even jump off the train till sometime after 2015. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 12:06 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The defense is my primary concern, not Joe Burrow.  For seven weeks Lou Anarumo had his men allowing only 17 points per game and for two straight games the Bengals have allowed 34 points.  That’s Teryl Austin territory.  

Is Burrow’s recent penchant for throwing interceptions a concern?  Yes.  But the lack of defense is throwing the offensive game plan off by a light year.  Against the Steelers and Ravens the Bengals ran way more than they threw and won big.  That’s the benefit of playing with a lead.  Today Burrow threw over 40 passes against only 23 run plays because he had to — but both Cincinnati touchdowns were scored on the ground.

Thank you for coming down off the crazy tower and making a legitimate, good post. ThumbsUp

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 12:49 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: the irony is thick

(11-08-2021, 12:50 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: this guy is still bitching about Dalton

Nicomo is a gift. Christmas came early!

What irony? You sit back and wait to see him type "Dalton" and go into feast mode. 

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 01:02 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I would have traded Andy Dalton after 2015 for a king’s ransom and multiple draft picks, loaded up both lines, and rolled with AJ McCarron into 2016 and beyond.  AJ McCarron came the closest to ANY quarterback in the Marvin Lewis era to winning a playoff game.

McCarron played like garbage in the playoff game against the Steelers but when it mattered he threw a go-ahead pass to AJ Green with 1:52 left in the fourth quarter before Jeremy Hill got butterfingers and Vontaze Burfict and Pacman Jones went batshit crazy.

McCarron was the opposite of Dalton.  Dalton was amazing in regular season games but wilted under pressure.  McCarron was freakin’ amazing under pressure.  Dalton had poise and tenacity but McCarron had swagger and cojones.

Well, that didn't last long...

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 02:24 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: I feel your frustration with this board. Although the interceptions are annoying, I wouldnt ever say Burrow isnt a top 10 qb in the NFL in 2021. And it's only his 2nd year. 

The guy is for real. But I do wonder if he's locking onto Chase too often

The last few games he definitely has and it's come at the expense of Tyler Boyd. 

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 02:20 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Are you talking about Kylar Murray? The 1st overall pick in the 2019 draft who is finally playing like a top 10 QB in YEAR 3? 

And i'm only guessing that you are talking about Trevor Lawrence, the 1st overall pick in this years draft, who's playing like hot shit on a stick this year. 

Too bad you didn't mention Baker Maybefield, the 1st overall pick in the 2018 draft who, in his 4th year is still average and no one is sure (lolz, he's not) if he's a top, franchise QB. 

Maybe we could throw Jared Goff in there, the 1st overall pick in the 2016 draft, who's with his 2nd team and not very good. 

We can get real silly and talk about Jameis Winston, the 1st overall pick in the 2015 draft who, i'm told, just threw another interception and they're not even playing right now. 

But instead of doing any of that, let's ***** and moan and cry and spew all kinds of ignorant crap about how Burrow isn't the top rated qb right now, after playing his 19th career game, because He CaN't StOp ThRoWiNg InTeRcEpTiOnS!!1!!11!!!!111111

Man, i really wish i could say what i feel about some of the posts on this board...

[Image: RightUnconsciousHermitcrab-max-1mb.gif]

C’mon…you’re a Hall of Famer. You can say what you want! Big Grin

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 02:28 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The last few games he definitely has and it's come at the expense of Tyler Boyd. 

Targets have been much more even than people think.

The flea flicker today was the perfect example of Burrow not locking in on Chase (who was the vertical option), instead he hit Tee on a wheel. They do need to get Boyd the ball more though.

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 03:12 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: C’mon…you’re a Hall of Famer. You can say what you want! Big Grin

Now that you mention it...NFL HoFers get a cool gold jacket when they go in and we can't even get a 100,000 boost of rep points??

[Image: michael-scott-the-office.gif]

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 03:27 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Now that you mention it...NFL HoFers get a cool gold jacket when they go in and we can't even get a 100,000 boost of rep points??

[Image: michael-scott-the-office.gif]

Bears - beets - bad Burrow interceptions

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 03:21 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Targets have been much more even than people think.

The flea flicker today was the perfect example of Burrow not locking in on Chase (who was the vertical option), instead he hit Tee on a wheel. They do need to get Boyd the ball more though.

Yeah, they were pretty well split not too long ago and i'm not upset at how much Tee is getting targeted but the last 4 games, Chase 38 targets. Higgins 35 targets. Boyd 20 targets. 

Things would have looked a hell of a lot better today if Higgins and Chase hadn't dropped multiple catchable balls. 

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 03:37 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yeah, they were pretty well split not too long ago and i'm not upset at how much Tee is getting targeted but the last 4 games, Chase 38 targets. Higgins 35 targets. Boyd 20 targets. 

Things would have looked a hell of a lot better today if Higgins and Chase hadn't dropped multiple catchable balls. 

No doubt. Even Perine got in on the dropsie’s today (on a 3rd down to boot).

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2021, 08:37 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Is Burrow a trash QB? Of course not.

Are the INTs an issue? Absolutely.

Please don't include trash and QB within the same sentence when talking about a Bengals franchise QB. 
He may use that as an excuse to retire or be traded.  Nervous
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 03:21 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Targets have been much more even than people think.

But I have C.J. Uzomah on my fantasy team.  Mellow
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 02:20 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Are you talking about Kylar Murray? The 1st overall pick in the 2019 draft who is finally playing like a top 10 QB in YEAR 3? 

And i'm only guessing that you are talking about Trevor Lawrence, the 1st overall pick in this years draft, who's playing like hot shit on a stick this year. 

Too bad you didn't mention Baker Maybefield, the 1st overall pick in the 2018 draft who, in his 4th year is still average and no one is sure (lolz, he's not) if he's a top, franchise QB. 

Maybe we could throw Jared Goff in there, the 1st overall pick in the 2016 draft, who's with his 2nd team and not very good. 

We can get real silly and talk about Jameis Winston, the 1st overall pick in the 2015 draft who, i'm told, just threw another interception and they're not even playing right now. 

But instead of doing any of that, let's ***** and moan and cry and spew all kinds of ignorant crap about how Burrow isn't the top rated qb right now, after playing his 19th career game, because He CaN't StOp ThRoWiNg InTeRcEpTiOnS!!1!!11!!!!111111

Man, i really wish i could say what i feel about some of the posts on this board...

So we should all just relax and be happy that Burrow is on the same track as Jared Goff, Jamies Winstead, and Baker Mayfield?

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.
Reply/Quote

i'd agree that burrow isn't becoming a 1 wr qb. chase's catches just stick out a bit more in people's memories because they tend to be more dramatic. as chase draws more double teams, we should start seeing a bit more of spectacular/clutch catches from boyd and higgins again.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 09:41 AM)P W Wrote: i'd agree that burrow isn't becoming a 1 wr qb. chase's catches just stick out a bit more in people's memories because they tend to be more dramatic. as chase draws more double teams, we should start seeing a bit more of spectacular/clutch catches from boyd and higgins again.

The WR’s only caught 2 of 11 contested balls yesterday. That’s not going to get it done. Tee, especially, should be coming down with more of those.

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 09:47 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The WR’s only caught 2 of 11 contested balls yesterday. That’s not going to get it done. Tee, especially, should be coming down with more of those.

Absolutely, on contested balls and clutch catches.

Keep in mind: Browns DBs always bring something extra vs the Bengals. To win the battle of Ohio: the team that runs better almost always wins. Zac failed at doing his OC homework or he got schooled. 
Reply/Quote
The fact that folks are gleefully talking about the struggles of other 1OA picks to comfort them is........... Something.

Whatever makes you feel better. Misery does love company, so maybe there is comfort in other 1OA busts.

Either way we've fallen so far since the promise of week 5. Burrow no longer pro bowler, Chase no longer rookie of the year, ZT no longer up for extension, Lou back on the hot seat, Oline no longer on the up and up, 240 million now looks wasted on D. Just a mess.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2021, 10:41 AM)jj22 Wrote: The fact that folks are gleefully talking about the struggles of other 1OA picks to comfort them is........... Something.

Whatever makes you feel better. Misery does love company, so maybe there is comfort in other 1OA busts.

No it shows reality. Very few come in and do as well as Joe has.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
My elephant in the room is the utter lack of execution since the Baltimore game
-Housh
Reply/Quote