Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Elephant in the room - run game
(08-27-2018, 08:39 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: So we can't blame PA anymore? well....$hit.

5 months isnt really enough time to revamp an entire Oline that played the same way for 20 years. If by next year they still suck I can agree, although a large part of the problem was the wasted picks of Fisher and Og which you have to believe were made in large part because of P.A.
Reply/Quote
I don't think a run game will just magically appear, so it looks like another year with no run game UNLESS, we admit the true elephant in the room......

Gio is our best rb and should start.

Sure he didn't make much of a difference last night, but he's proven to be able to run behind all of our "bad lines" unlike Hill and Mixon. Which makes you question if it's our lines or our RB's.....

My guess, it's the RB coach who needs to go for ruining Hill and possibly Mixon. Gio came under Jim Anderson. The last RB coach to give us a run game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2018, 09:33 AM)jj22 Wrote: I don't think a run game will just magically appear, so it looks like another year with no run game UNLESS, we admit the true elephant in the room......

Sure he didn't make much of a difference last night, but he's proven to be able to run behind all of our "bad lines" unlike Hill and Mixon. Which makes you question if it's our lines or our RB's.....

My guess, it's the RB coach who needs to go for ruining Hill and possibly Mixon. Gio came under Jim Anderson. The last RB coach to give us a run game.

It's the line... When guys get beat we get tackled in the backfield.
Reply/Quote
We've been blaming the line for years, but Gio runs well consistently behind them. He's the only one that seems to be able to.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Seeing how the Vikings just traded a 7th for Brent Jones thus might be a time the bengals might consider trading them n of their coveted late round picks for decent lineman before he hits the open market.

Note, I’m not saying they should have gone after jones just that’s the type of move they should be considering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
once the line gets settled and is consistant on who is playing I think it opens up especially if we hit them deep a few times early pushing those safties back and out of the run game
Reply/Quote
I'm thinking that when the regular season starts and we have guys like AJ, Ross, Eifert and  Boyde all lined up  at the same time with actual game planning and video on opposing defenses we'll see a completely different running game take shape. Those guys will all have to be accounted for and they won't be able to stack up every play against Mixon and Gio..  They're going to get their carries . Even so,  ypc can be misleading at times too. If running backs are still putting points on the board (which is the actual goal by the way ) then ypc's don't mean nearly as much. 
As long as they don't become extremely predictable , ie, run run pass punt like in some previous seasons they should be able to open the running game with a prolific passing game and vica versa.. We'll see though . Nothing is carved in stone. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2018, 12:11 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: once the line gets settled and is consistant on who is playing I think it opens up especially if we hit them deep a few times early pushing those safties back and out of the run game

Not only safeties, but linebackers as well.  4 very good receivers on the field at the same time means that 4 defensive backs just can't cover them all at the same time .
If Andy is able to take some long shots and hit them in stride early on it'll force defenses to drop into coverage much more often . 
In preseason teams don't really have to worry about points on the board nearly as much as they do in the regular season. They can sit on running backs all day and ignore receivers. It becomes a whole different story when points are at a premium .. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2018, 12:52 PM)grampahol Wrote: Not only safeties, but linebackers as well.  4 very good receivers on the field at the same time means that 4 defensive backs just can't cover them all at the same time .
If Andy is able to take some long shots and hit them in stride early on it'll force defenses to drop into coverage much more often . 
In preseason teams don't really have to worry about points on the board nearly as much as they do in the regular season. They can sit on running backs all day and ignore receivers. It becomes a whole different story when points are at a premium .. 

I agree with this. If that was a regular season game and Andy came out and hung 20 on them in the 1st half while the D pitched a shutout, there would be no more 8 men in the box crap.....
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2018, 08:31 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: I know some may laugh but OG looked better against the run than others.  I didn't see whole game though.  I think the team needs to grab a RG from teams when cut down arrives.  I liked Hopkins at Center but I am not impressed with what I have seen from him at RG.   Price is a rookie so it will take time.

Saw Og make some good blocks and was really surprised, but it was against backups.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2018, 09:33 AM)jj22 Wrote: I don't think a run game will just magically appear, so it looks like another year with no run game UNLESS, we admit the true elephant in the room......

Definately have to think about starting Gio if this keeps up but i still think Mixon needs to get enough carries to get
into a rhythm before we can say Gio is our best RB. Mixon is bigger and just as fast. He can punish Defenders which
i like to have some physicality to my starting RB even though Gio can run with attitude.

BTW, always said it will take time for the O-line to gel, just happy it is the running game that is suffering and not
the QB and the passing game...

Dalton had a pocket to step into and look what happened.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2018, 01:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Saw Og make some good blocks and was really surprised, but it was against backups.

The fact he making plays against anyone other than St. Mary's School for the Blind speaks volumes that he's improved a little.....
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2018, 01:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Saw Og make some good blocks and was really surprised, but it was against backups.

On the other hand, when fans are speaking highly regarding an average to below average first round bust, it just demonstrates the dire straits the offensive line has become.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
It doesn’t matter who is coaching these guys Hart n Hopkins are not that big bodied offensive lineman type to maul the guys in front of them. They are not Big Willie, Runyon, Lewan. We are not the Cowboys where we just run it all game long. Like someone said come playoff time if we get their this running game will be a problem. Ps. PFF said Price n Westerman have not allowed a pass pressure all preseason long!! Price is gonna be a good one.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2018, 01:12 PM)Sled21 Wrote: The fact he making plays against anyone other than St. Mary's School for the Blind speaks volumes that he's improved a little.....

Lol
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2018, 01:12 PM)Sled21 Wrote: The fact he making plays against anyone other than St. Mary's School for the Blind speaks volumes that he's improved a little.....

Hilarious

(08-27-2018, 01:14 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: On the other hand, when fans are speaking highly regarding an average to below average first round bust, it just demonstrates the dire straits the offensive line has become.  

It is what it has been, but it is better under Pollack. Much better pass protection this Preseason.

We still need a RT though that is for sure.

(08-27-2018, 01:20 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: It doesn’t matter who is coaching these guys Hart n Hopkins are not that big bodied offensive lineman type to maul the guys in front of them. They are not Big Willie, Runyon, Lewan.   We are not the Cowboys where we just run it all game long.  Like someone said come playoff time if we get their this running game will be a problem.  Ps. PFF said Price n Westerman have not allowed a pass pressure all preseason long!!  Price is gonna be a good one.

Good stuff on Price and Westerman. I know that we haven't been starting Westerman at RG but we need to think
about it. Redmond is a penalty machine and Hopkins just isn't good enough to start. Atleast Westerman is a very
good pass protector and he did have a few nice run blocks this Preseason, i think he is the best Guard not named
Clint Boling.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2018, 01:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hilarious

Good stuff on Price and Westerman. I know that we haven't been starting Westerman at RG but we need to think
about it. Redmond is a penalty machine and Hopkins just isn't good enough to start. Atleast Westerman is a very
good pass protector and he did have a few nice run blocks this Preseason, i think he is the best Guard not named
Clint Boling.

I agree, I think Westerman should be starting RG....
Reply/Quote
I would start Westerman at RG like others stated and if he is not the answer, then they better go after some player cut from another team.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Did I see or hear Westerman got injured yesterday?
Reply/Quote
Not that they ran it that much better against Chicago or Dallas but I think the one thing buffalo has going for it is its damn near impossible to run on em.

That run game will get going in the regular season for sure. Too many weapons spreading defenses thin, we'll start gashing teams soon enough.

Also I would imagine it takes a little more time for a group of linemen who haven't worked together as a unit much to develop chemistry in the run game. There's enough talent there now is the main thing. They'll get it going.
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote