Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Eli Apple and Reggie Nelson
Nelson....21st pick in first round
Apple.....10th pick in first round

Nelson...27 years old with 42 career starts when he joined the Bengals
Apple.....26 years old with 48 career starts when he joined the Bengals

Nelson..Obtained for peanuts (Traded DB David Jones)
Apple....Obtained for peanuts ($1.2 million free agent contract)

Nelson...Became Pro-Bowl and 2nd Team All-Pro for Bengals. Led league in interceptions in 2015.
Apple.....????????????
Reply/Quote
Apple has good skills but gets a bad wrap because of the TD to Kupp in SB. I’ve watched that play several times and don’t think he could’ve covered any better. What makes Nelson stand out to me was his ability to rise up and play like a madman against Pittsburgh.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2022, 11:18 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Apple has good skills but gets a bad wrap because of the TD to Kupp in SB. I’ve watched that play several times and don’t think he could’ve covered any better. What makes Nelson stand out to me was his ability to rise up and play like a madman against Pittsburgh.

Didn’t Apple have the lowest passer rating allowed in man to man coverage or something?
Reply/Quote
When Nelson came to the Bengals, he was a corner, wasn't he? The Bengals moved him to safety if I remember right and that jump started his career.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2022, 12:05 PM)Sled21 Wrote: When Nelson came to the Bengals, he was a corner, wasn't he? The Bengals moved him to safety if I remember right and that jump started his career.

Nelson was always a safety
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2022, 12:05 PM)Sled21 Wrote: When Nelson came to the Bengals, he was a corner, wasn't he? 

i don't think he was a CB, but there was something about the scheme Jacksonville played and the way they tried to use Nelson that was not working as well as they hoped.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2022, 12:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: i don't think he was a CB, but there was something about the scheme Jacksonville played and the way they tried to use Nelson that was not working as well as they hoped.

JAX was playing him out of position. We bring him in and leave him in the spot best suited for him. The rest is history! One of the best trades in Bengaldom EVER!
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2022, 02:00 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: JAX was playing him out of position. We bring him in and leave him in the spot best suited for him. The rest is history! One of the best trades in Bengaldom EVER!

Probably THE best trade. James Brooks was nice too, and BJ Hill for Billy Price was an utter fleecing.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2022, 02:00 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: JAX was playing him out of position. We bring him in and leave him in the spot best suited for him. The rest is history! One of the best trades in Bengaldom EVER!

Yes it was, but I gotts give the nod to the James Brooks trade. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-19-2022, 02:11 PM)jason Wrote: Probably THE best trade.  James Brooks was nice too, and BJ Hill for Billy Price was an utter fleecing.

Beat me to Brooks, honorable mention to Brian Leonard. We traded Orien Harris for him and got Orien back in the same year. 

Reply/Quote
Ya know, Eli gets a ton of shit on here but think about this…does William Jackson III make those plays Eli didn’t? Better yet… does WJIII help make the plays that caused those playoff turnovers that sealed those games for us? I don’t know, but I’m leaning towards “nope”. People need to get behind this young man and cheer for him and hope he continues to get better. You can’t have an all pro at every position, CBs get beat (its the nature of the position), and its nice having his skill set on the team.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2022, 02:24 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Ya know, Eli gets a ton of shit on here but think about this…does William Jackson III make those plays Eli didn’t? Better yet… does WJIII help make the plays that caused those playoff turnovers that sealed those games for us? I don’t know, but I’m leaning towards “nope”. People need to get behind this young man and cheer for him and hope he continues to get better. You can’t have an all pro at every position, CBs get beat (its the nature of the position), and its nice having his skill set on the team.

Coming in with the reputation of a bust is a hard thing to overcome. Clearly he hasn't lived up to a top 10 pick, but we didn't blow that pick on him. I think he was serviceable at worst for us. He's probably the weak link back there, but we have a sneaky good secondary.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2022, 02:24 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Ya know, Eli gets a ton of shit on here but think about this…does William Jackson III make those plays Eli didn’t? Better yet… does WJIII help make the plays that caused those playoff turnovers that sealed those games for us? I don’t know, but I’m leaning towards “nope”. People need to get behind this young man and cheer for him and hope he continues to get better. You can’t have an all pro at every position, CBs get beat (its the nature of the position), and its nice having his skill set on the team.

If he'd just stay off Twitter

Reply/Quote
(06-19-2022, 11:18 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Apple has good skills but gets a bad wrap because of the TD to Kupp in SB. I’ve watched that play several times and don’t think he could’ve covered any better. What makes Nelson stand out to me was his ability to rise up and play like a madman against Pittsburgh.

If they stop the Kupp end around that play doesn't exist and this board looks at Apple much differently. 
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2022, 03:59 PM)phil413 Wrote: If they stop the Kupp end around that play doesn't exist and this board looks at Apple much differently. 

True, but limited. Apple wasn’t that hot at the beginning of the year, but did find his game at the perfect time. I would say it was around week 14-15 when something clicked and he found his game. I wish he would back down the trash talking, but I think it helps him to play harder and keep his focus. You know, eye of the tiger type shit.

Reply/Quote
(06-19-2022, 11:38 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Didn’t Apple have the lowest passer rating allowed in man to man coverage or something?

I’m unsure, but I find it difficult to find holes in his game. 

(06-19-2022, 03:59 PM)phil413 Wrote: If they stop the Kupp end around that play doesn't exist and this board looks at Apple much differently. 

Exactly. Although I’m talking Apple up right now, I must admit the first half of the year I thought he sucked and wanted him gone. Guess that’s why I’m not a coach. I love to be proven wrong in instance’s like this.

Reply/Quote
(06-19-2022, 10:08 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Nelson....21st pick in first round
Apple.....10th pick in first round

Nelson...27 years old with 42 career starts when he joined the Bengals
Apple.....26 years old with 48 career starts when he joined the Bengals

Nelson..Obtained for peanuts (Traded DB David Jones)
Apple....Obtained for peanuts ($1.2 million free agent contract)

Nelson...Became Pro-Bowl and 2nd Team All-Pro for Bengals. Led league in interceptions in 2015.
Apple.....????????????

Sure hope Apple ends up anything close to the player for us Reggie was. He is really talented and has started to resurrect 
his career with us. Yah never know, it is a good comparison even if they play different positions. Both were busts before 
they became Bengals according to most.

I think Apple better play his ass off or Cam Taylor Britt will take his spot, that is how much I like CTB.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2022, 02:00 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: JAX was playing him out of position. We bring him in and leave him in the spot best suited for him. The rest is history! One of the best trades in Bengaldom EVER!

Yeah, Jacksonville was playing Reggie at Strong Safety when he was clearly a roaming Free Safety.

We put him where he was suited and he played fantastic.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2022, 04:23 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I’m unsure, but I find it difficult to find holes in his game. 

Bad hands. Interceptions go right through them
Reply/Quote
I like Eli Apple and I think he had played well for us and hopefully that continues. But he will not be leading the league in interceptions so we can get rid of that hope right now.
Reply/Quote