Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trey Hopkins Released
(03-18-2022, 05:02 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I’m not so sure that will stick. Karras is much better as a guard and my gut tells me the Front Office will still sign a high quality center.

Earlier this week Hobson said he was signed as center. Hopkins was cut. Zac and company would have to be incompetent to take a guy who’s been the league 7 years and not know his best position.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 04:58 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Absolutely.

Again, that was why I was surprised they didn't restructure the deal to lower the cap hit and keep him around.

Super happy with the upgrades they have made so far, just was surprised they released him versus trying to re-work the deal.

Is what it is though.

Could always bring him back, but tbh I think we can do better.

His play took a hit after that injury.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Getting rid of deadweight, I'm ok with it.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 04:51 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We can get depth at a cheaper price than $7.1 million (cap hit).

What price would you think a solid swing tackle back up would be worth. A Anthony Collins, Eric Winston type guy either an older vet near retirement or younger solid swing type that could fill in for 2 to 4 games if needed? I am thinking 3 to 3.5 if the guy was proven to be a solid player.
Reply/Quote
I am hoping:

1) This means we are confident a Collins deal gets done (we need more cap space).

2) This does not mean we are settled on Karras at C and Carman at G. Hopefully, if Linderbaum, Green, ir Zion Johnson is sitting there at #31, we'd take them. Penciling Karras in at one spot devalues his versatility. Plus, Carman could not beat out Adeniji.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 07:52 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: What price would you think a solid swing tackle back up would be worth. A Anthony Collins, Eric Winston type guy either an older vet near retirement or younger solid swing type that could fill in for 2 to 4 games if needed? I am thinking 3 to 3.5 if the guy was proven to be a solid player.

Seeing how the Bengals paid Fred Johnson $2.4M, I'd say that's their number.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
This is not meant as an excuse for Hopkins play last year, but I was shocked that he was injured in January but was ready to start opening day.  And we are not talking about a QB.  This is an O-lineman whose knee is used to leverage hundreds of pounds of defensive linemen every single play.  I have never seen a lineman return that quickly from knee surgery.

Other than that I think I agree with a lot of people here.  Hopkins was not complete trash when he was healthy.  He might even start for another NFL team.  But he was not even close to worth his salary.  We had to release him.

Bengals have called Karras "center" ever since they signed him.  That leaves us with two holes at RT an RG.  I say we sign one more free agent and either Carman or Smith will start in the last spot.  I don't see anyway a rookie starts.  And I don't see the team counting on both Smith and Jackson to start.  So even if it is just a mid-tier ($4-$6 million) experienced starter on a 1-year deal  I still sya we bring in another free agent O-lineman.
Reply/Quote
Knew this was going to happen. Good luck to Hop a good pass protecting Center. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 08:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Seeing how the Bengals paid Fred Johnson $2.4M, I'd say that's their number.

Fred will be cut if we sign Collins. Unless we see Smith as a pure guard. 
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 07:56 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I am hoping:

1) This means we are confident a Collins deal gets done (we need more cap space).

2) This does not mean we are settled on Karras at C and Carman at G. Hopefully, if Linderbaum, Green, ir Zion Johnson is sitting there at #31, we'd take them. Penciling Karras in at one spot devalues his versatility. Plus, Carman could not beat out Adeniji.

Karras will play C
Cappa will play G
Carman will backup both G spots

Hopefully Trey Hop will re-sign at a lower cost to back up C, as I just don't see Hill cutting it.  Hop has been very good over his career, and time as a reserve will help him regain his health and hopefully bring him back to full form.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 10:59 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: Karras will play C
Cappa will play G
Carman will backup both G spots

Hopefully Trey Hop will re-sign at a lower cost to back up C, as I just don't see Hill cutting it.  Hop has been very good over his career, and time as a reserve will help him regain his health and hopefully bring him back to full form.

Are you assuming Spain comes back & starts? Or a draft pick? Some sites have Raiman projected as a G. 
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 11:02 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Are you assuming Spain comes back & starts? Or a draft pick? Some sites have Raiman projected as a G. 

I am assuming we re-sign Spain, and he will be penciled at LG.

The draft could very well change things, but in no way should anyone use that as a basis for figuring out their line unless talking about they hold the first overall pick.  Too easy for guys to be gone to bank on it.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 08:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is not meant as an excuse for Hopkins play last year, but I was shocked that he was injured in January but was ready to start opening day.  And we are not talking about a QB.  This is an O-lineman whose knee is used to leverage hundreds of pounds of defensive linemen every single play.  I have never seen a lineman return that quickly from knee surgery.

Other than that I think I agree with a lot of people here.  Hopkins was not complete trash when he was healthy.  He might even start for another NFL team.  But he was not even close to worth his salary.  We had to release him.

Bengals have called Karras "center" ever since they signed him.  That leaves us with two holes at RT an RG.  I say we sign one more free agent and either Carman or Smith will start in the last spot.  I don't see anyway a rookie starts.  And I don't see the team counting on both Smith and Jackson to start.  So even if it is just a mid-tier ($4-$6 million) experienced starter on a 1-year deal  I still sya we bring in another free agent O-lineman.

Cappa is playing Right Guard.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 07:56 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I am hoping:

Zac seemed pretty clear that Karras was the Center.... Zion would be a great pickup.

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 02:04 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Fred will be cut if we sign Collins. Unless we see Smith as a pure guard. 

I think they see both Adeniji and Smith as G/T.. so that could be a good call on Fred.

Reply/Quote
Was Carman better playing on the left side?

Sent from my BE2026 using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 01:44 PM)ah5 Wrote: Was Carman better playing on the left side?

Sent from my BE2026 using Tapatalk

We have not seen enough to know
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 08:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Seeing how the Bengals paid Fred Johnson $2.4M, I'd say that's their number.

Yeah I know we are kind of set with him being signed recently. But do not think he is as good as Collins or Winston was.
Reply/Quote