Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eli's BBQ Copycat
Has anyone ever attempted to replicate their taste and had success?

Planning on making some ribs this weekend and wanted to try to get their flavor.
Reply/Quote
Never tried Eli's bbq. I'm guessing that's a locally owned joint, in your area. What style of bbq are they? Texas, Memphis, Kansas City, 'Carolina? Once you pinpoint the style, then you can more easily work on making a similar flavor.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2018, 07:43 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Has anyone ever attempted to replicate their taste and had success?

Planning on making some ribs this weekend and wanted to try to get their flavor.

Maybe this is what your looking for?

http://www.fox19.com/story/26231309/elis-bbq-sauce-and-rub

Quote:Recipe: Eli's BBQ sauce and Rub
Posted by Nathan Vicar, Digital Content Producer
CONNECT

• [/url]
    • [url=http://www.fox19.com/story/26231309/elis-bbq-sauce-and-rub#]
(FOX19) -
Simple Dry Rub 
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar 
  • 3 teaspoons salt
  • 2 teaspoons black pepper. 

Simple BBQ Sauce
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon Garlic salt
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2018, 03:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Never tried Eli's bbq.  I'm guessing that's a locally owned joint, in your area.  What style of bbq are they?  Texas, Memphis, Kansas City, 'Carolina?  Once you pinpoint the style, then you can more easily work on making a similar flavor.

They are pretty classic KC bbq, fwiw. Strong hickory, descent char. Only real deviation from traditional KC style is that the main sauce is not really as sweet or smokey as what I expect from that region. 

I have never been that high on Eli's, in truth, but Cincy really doesn't have a wealth of good bbq so it punches above its weight. 
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2018, 08:38 AM)Westwood Bengal Wrote: They are pretty classic KC bbq, fwiw. Strong hickory, descent char. Only real deviation from traditional KC style is that the main sauce is not really as sweet or smokey as what I expect from that region. 

I have never been that high on Eli's, in truth, but Cincy really doesn't have a wealth of good bbq so it punches above its weight. 

Yea i only had it once and the ribs were over cooked. But there was something special about the flavor of the unsauced rib that i figured came from the rub.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2018, 06:02 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Maybe this is what your looking for?

Thats the only thing i could find. I just dont believe there is only those 3 ingredients in the rub. 
Reply/Quote
I like their pulled pork and sides. Their ribs are good (I'm not an expert) but insanely expensive.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(05-25-2018, 07:43 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Has anyone ever attempted to replicate their taste and had success?

Just stopped in today to snag some lunch and they had containers of their rub on sale. Haven’t tried it yet but as I was leaving I saw one of the workers bring a couple of bottles back to the smoke shack for them to use on the meats, so I think it should give ya the flavor your looking for.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2018, 06:02 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Maybe this is what your looking for?

With that much ketchup and maple syrup that is going to be a very sweet sauce.
Reply/Quote
Their sauce is waaaaay too sweet for me.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote