T-8th FF
T-16th PD
T-6th sacks
19th passer rating
29th yards per carry
T-11th 3rd down %
26th yards per play
T-26th penalties

The eye test says they aren't horrible, but those numbers don't say "elite" to me.

This'

We have real good talent everywhere except LB, but a defense is only as strong as its weakest link.  If Burfict comes back balling we will become a legitimate Super Bowl contender.  Until then we are only a good team that is just a few plays from being 2-3.

A win is a win is a win in the NFL.  But judging our team objectively at this point I don't trust the defense enough to consider us a legitimate Super Bowl contender.

(10-14-2015, 12:48 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Missed tackles are the killer for us this year. They've led to more big plays than blown coverage from what I can remember.

This x 1000.  Poor tackling is killing this defense.  

And the good news is that this is a problem that can be fixed.
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals D doesn't improve I'm worried about how we'll do in January.

Guenther is definitely an idiot IMO.
Reply/Quote
The D line is Elite or very near it. The secondary is very good but inconsistent, Kirkpatrick seems to give up a couple big plays every game. Exactly how much of that is his fault is hard to say.

As everybody knows our LB's are the weak link, sure hope Burfict can return healthy soon !

But no, overall they're not Elite.

If they would quit trying to strip the ball one on one in the open field and actually tackle you could take 250 yards off are total.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2015, 11:30 AM)NashBengal Wrote: I've seen some state the Bengals have an elite D. Do people actually believe that? Just curious about everyone's thoughts

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but my honest answer is that they are elite when they have to be.  Some might call that "bend but don't break", but I don't see it as that. 

When KC started to come back, they stiffened and held them to FGs.  When Seattle got something like 62 yards on their last six possessions, that is elite. 

I think it will be very interesting to see how they fare against Pittsburg with their offense, if Big Jen is back. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2015, 11:38 AM)djs7685 Wrote: 10th PPG
21st YPG
18th rush YPG
22nd pass YPG
T-14th INT
T-8th FF
T-16th PD
T-6th sacks
19th passer rating
29th yards per carry
T-11th 3rd down %
26th yards per play
T-26th penalties

The eye test says they aren't horrible, but those numbers don't say "elite" to me.
Reply/Quote
The only stat that matters is scoring defense. Bengals are 10th, not elite but all of these numbers mean nothing except how many points does your defens give up
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2015, 08:36 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but my honest answer is that they are elite when they have to be. 

Third in tds allowed (rushing and passing only)

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
We really need a real DC instead of this Guenther guy. He looks like a fat black-haired version of Carrot Top waddling around the sideline and his schemes are like what Zimmer would write up while he's suffering a concussion.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2015, 08:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: A win is a win is a win in the NFL.  But judging our team objectively at this point I don't trust the defense enough to consider us a legitimate Super Bowl contender.

Right now I think they're good enough to make noise in the playoffs, but I also wouldn't bet on them against the Patriots, Packers, or the Falcons too (I think they're built to exploit our weaknesses more than other teams around the league).

(10-14-2015, 09:09 PM)Slappy from New Haven Wrote: The only stat that matters is scoring defense. Bengals are 10th, not elite but all of these numbers mean nothing except how many points does your defens give up

Those numbers mean a lot. If you give up tons of yardage and aren't being an efficient unit, it's going to translate to points eventually, especially against the best of the best teams.

I'll gladly jump on the bandwagon for the "scoreboard is all that matters" mentality when it's gameday and we're in the moment, but when you start to look at next week and the week after that, you can't be confident in a defense that gives up tons of yardage and high efficiency ratings to QBs and RBs.

Being 26th in the league in penalties is a big no-no as well. The coaching staff needs to really focus on that number and bust some asses over that, it's not acceptable for what is supposed to be a top tier defense.
Reply/Quote
Bengals D is suspect. I'm waiting on Burfict to correct, dude better be healthy.

Bengals O can keep up with anyone in the league, oh how times have changed.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2015, 09:18 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Bengals D is suspect. I'm waiting on Burfict to correct, dude better be healthy.

Bengals O can keep up with anyone in the league, oh how times have changed.

They need to clean up the missed tackles and the communication problems. I believe the talent is there but other than the DLine, the unit hasn't played as well as they can.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2015, 11:38 AM)djs7685 Wrote: 10th PPG
21st YPG
18th rush YPG
22nd pass YPG
T-14th INT
T-8th FF
T-16th PD
T-6th sacks
19th passer rating
29th yards per carry
T-11th 3rd down %
26th yards per play
T-26th penalties

Does that Points per game include that Fumble 6 vs Seattle? dont think that should be held against the defense.

And some Garbage time stats hurt the baseline here too.
Reply/Quote
I think we are solid and have shown enough to keep games close and give the Offense a shot in every game.

However when we had Zimmer we were just so fundamentally sound and i always had faith in his plan and Paulie G simply is not (yet) at that point as far as I'm concerned. Whether its missed tackles , blown coverage, poor communication...you always feel there could be a killer big play coming.

On a related note I really think we need to prioritise Defense in the draft. I was having a quick look at some of the draft selections from 2011-14...too early to review the 2015 class.....We have had an astonishing success rate on our offense picks (early and later rounds).

The defense has been really hit and miss however and I think for some positions we are at the point where we really need an investment in the draft. Especially as our first 3 picks in 2015 were also offense. Paulie needs more weapons!

2011 - 2014 Defense

Devon Still
Dre Kirkpatrick
Margus Hunt
Sean Porter
Shawn Williams
Shaun Prater
Brandon Thompson
Dontay Moch
Robert Sands

2011 - 2014 Offense

Aj Green