Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elite prospects facing off osu vs psu
Loved watching jt tuimoloau vs projected top 5 pick olu fashanu. Jt won a majority of those battles…. What is it about Penn state? ? also, reminder that if you want a osu rb minyan Williams is the one you want to have.
Reply/Quote
My understanding was that the Penn St defense was absolutely stacked with talent. Like 4-5 1st rounders and maybe even a couple from the DEF in the top 10, so It's interesting you mention a battle on the other side of the ball.

I was unsurprised by the low score because of the above, but I am somewhat shocked this year by OSU's turn around on defense. The previous DC must have been horrid. They would have won the NC easy with this defense with last years offense.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2023, 12:32 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Loved watching jt tuimoloau vs projected top 5 pick olu fashanu. Jt won a majority of those battles…. What is it about Penn state? ? also, reminder that if you want a osu rb minyan Williams is the one you want to have.

He hit the QB’s arm for a PBU which was a good play.

He was credited with one sack. He was essentially unblocked. Penn State tried to use a TE back side seal and he didn’t get there on time. Any DE on OSU’s roster should make that play. Just an awful play design by Penn State.

He was credited for one TFL. It was either the LB or DB that made the initial tackle. JT just fell on top to pad his stats.

He was credited for a QB hit when Penn State turned it over on downs like 4th and 30 in the 4th quarter. But, his best pass rush move all game was illegal hands to the face which was blatant and somehow wasn’t called. Should have been 15 yards and automatic first down for Penn State.

He has 4 sacks for the season and half have been unblocked and I didn’t see the Purdue game o Peacock or wherever it was.

I would describe his performance as adequate.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2023, 06:13 PM)Stewy Wrote: My understanding was that the Penn St defense was absolutely stacked with talent. Like 4-5 1st rounders and maybe even a couple from the DEF in the top 10, so It's interesting you mention a battle on the other side of the ball.

I was unsurprised by the low score because of the above, but I am somewhat shocked this year by OSU's turn around on defense. The previous DC must have been horrid. They would have won the NC easy with this defense with last years offense.

The DC is in his second year and has apparently dialed it back a little; less pressure and more deep safety help from what I’ve heard.

To me Day’s play calling has been up and down. First series looked great then not so great after. But, his QB was struggling with accuracy causing the offense to sputter.

If Harrison doesn’t get knocked out of game with a concussion against Georgia, I still think they win. If Day ran the ball more effectively before attempting the FG I still think they win.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2023, 06:13 PM)Stewy Wrote: My understanding was that the Penn St defense was absolutely stacked with talent.  Like 4-5 1st rounders and maybe even a couple from the DEF in the top 10, so It's interesting you mention a battle on the other side of the ball.

I was unsurprised by the low score because of the above, but I am somewhat shocked this year by OSU's turn around on defense.  The previous DC must have been horrid.  They would have won the NC easy with this defense with last years offense.

It's actually the same DC.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2023, 03:08 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: The DC is in his second year and has apparently dialed it back a little; less pressure and more deep safety help from what I’ve heard.

To me Day’s play calling has been up and down. First series looked great then not so great after. But, his QB was struggling with accuracy causing the offense to sputter.

If Harrison doesn’t get knocked out of game with a concussion against Georgia, I still think they win. If Day ran the ball more effectively before attempting the FG I still think they win.

Yes, the play in the secondary is vastly improved, compared to last year.  It really has been the key to their success as the offense continues to sputter behind first year starter McCord at QB.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2023, 03:11 AM)cinci4life Wrote: It's actually the same DC.

(10-25-2023, 08:27 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yes, the play in the secondary is vastly improved, compared to last year.  It really has been the key to their success as the offense continues to sputter behind first year starter McCord at QB.

Wow - the same DC.  What a difference between this year and last.  And yes I've noticed the offense sputtering a bit.  Surprised by the weak running game though.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2023, 11:00 AM)Stewy Wrote: Wow - the same DC.  What a difference between this year and last.  And yes I've noticed the offense sputtering a bit.  Surprised by the weak running game though.

Knowles inherited a lot of players that didn't exactly fit his scheme perfectly last year, so he attempted to take pressure off of a depleted secondary by sending extra pass rushers and it backfired several times.  This year the defense is looking more like what he had going at Oklahoma St.  Part of the offensive issue is 4 new starters on the OL this year.  They looked really bad the first few games, and have settled in somewhat since then.  The ND game was a real measuring stick for them as ND has a strong front seven.  The running game has been plagued with injuries to RBs, they've had to play younger guys that they rather would have kept on the bench for now.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2023, 02:53 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: He hit the QB’s arm for a PBU which was a good play.

He was credited with one sack. He was essentially unblocked. Penn State tried to use a TE back side seal and he didn’t get there on time. Any DE on OSU’s roster should make that play. Just an awful play design by Penn State.

He was credited for one TFL. It was either the LB or DB that made the initial tackle. JT just fell on top to pad his stats.

He was credited for a QB hit when Penn State turned it over on downs like 4th and 30 in the 4th quarter. But, his best pass rush move all game was illegal hands to the face which was blatant and somehow wasn’t called. Should have been 15 yards and automatic first down for Penn State.

He has 4 sacks for the season and half have been unblocked and I didn’t see the Purdue game o Peacock or wherever it was.

I would describe his performance as adequate.

From my view he had quite a few pressures as well. And again this is against an ELITE LT prospect and top 5 probable pick. Also as we know Ohio state rotates a lot. Tuimoloau also drops into coverage a good bit. This was to showcase great and great players.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2023, 01:47 PM)Jpoore Wrote: From my view he had quite a few pressures as well. And again this is against an ELITE LT prospect and top 5 probable pick. Also as we know Ohio state rotates a lot. Tuimoloau also drops into coverage a good bit. This was to showcase great and great players.

According to PFF he had 65 snaps, 45 pass rush attempts, both most among the DEs and graded out 4th out of 5 DEs with a very average score of 59.7.

I doubt most of those snaps were against Fashanu, but would need to watch the game again.

As I wrote before, his best pass rush move was illegal hands to the face.
Reply/Quote
JT’s Halloween costume

[Image: 71339_1024x1024.jpg?v=1492195610]
Reply/Quote