Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elizabeth Blackburn Article
(02-24-2021, 09:22 PM)BengalRed Wrote: All I know is when I watch other teams with their sideshows that appeal to fans I think to myself "why can't the Bengals do that?". Like the Vikings with their big horn, or the Seahawks with their 12th man. I've wished for years that Mike Brown would do something to make the fan experience fun. Maybe Elizabeth can do that. I for one am all for it. I haven't been to a Bengals game since they lost to the Chargers in the 2014 playoffs and I only live 90 miles away in Lexington.

I'm 10 minutes south of you, and my last game was the 2015 Seattle OT game. I was planning on going last season, because I said I would if they finally let Marvin go, then covid-19 came along. Even if we suck, a better fan experience makes it at least somewhat stomach able.. lol.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 01:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have no problem with getting new uniforms, but that is basically the OPPOSITE of an "enduring legacy".  

And if "high standards" are so important then why did we bring back a coach with the worst won-loss record in history?

A lot of this almost seems like a joke to me.

If they put in the same effort during FA like they did last year, hit on the draft, get that RoH and actually look like they're working towards a new training complex, it's hard to say they're not doing everything a "normal" NFL franchise does--something that's been sorely lacking for this team. 

They see how Taylor does things behind the scenes that fans don't and they obviously believe there's something to build on there. Production on the field is going to be the true barometer on if they're going in the right direction this year so, failing this year and retaining him again would be sign that things aren't really much different. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 03:23 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I see and expected different viewpoints from fans as they read this article. Yes, as a business person her job is to try to fill the stands and she seems very intelligent as knows, winning will fill the stands.

She is in a no win situation. She says nothing and fans berate her for a lack of transparency or make up their own narrative which in most cases for a losing franchise is a negative narrative based on opinions and frankly being upset with the team.

I like that she put herself out there, she is sharing her vision she shares with her staff, coaches, players, media and the fans. This is not new news from her, she has been working on her vision, but like any bad culture, it takes time to change it. I have never met her, but for those I know who have they all say she is an everyday person and not some rich spoiled lid taking over the family business.

It appears she has her own vision, not her grandfather's or her Dad's as she knows it is 2021, not 1975.

So, I understand those skeptical or butt hurt, but why not have an open mind? In 2020 the Bengals did change their approach in free agency. Sadly, the big players they signed or franchised either got hurt or in the case of AJ did not get it done. I am huge Green fan, but most would never have predicted a healthy AJ Green in 2020 would be that bad. They lost Burrow, blame it on the OL, but we lost Palmer to a knee injury also, a year the OL was pretty darn good so yes QB's do get hurt, once we lost Burrow our year and excitement ended.

I believe in Joe Burrow and I believe Katie can manage a multi faceted NFL operation, I think some may look back at this vision and letter in a few years and say that was the time I knew the Bengals had a great new leader.

You may not have been saying exactly this, but i don't see it as much as she's taken it on herself to create a vision and she's trying to infuse it with the rest of the team, as much as, the entire team has that vision and she's just showing how she's doing her part to make it a reality. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 09:31 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'm 10 minutes south of you, and my last game was the 2015 Seattle OT game. I was planning on going last season, because I said I would if they finally let Marvin go, then covid-19 came along. Even if we suck, a better fan experience makes it at least somewhat stomach able.. lol.

Stomach able. Lol. I'm with ya. At least make it fun to be there. Welcome To The Jungle was cool for a while but it stopped being that 20 years ago.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 04:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What the OP posted was just an excerpt from the larger article.

https://www.bengals.com/news/elizabeth-blackburn-mixing-vision-and-passion-with-strategy-bengals-new-chapter

There's more?! 

I kept reading waiting for the point on how we were going to win Superbowls... 

Reminds me on how we were told remodeled offices where the key. 

I can't imagine the full read could be any more (less) inspiring. I'll pass. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 10:46 PM)jj22 Wrote: There's more?! 

I kept reading waiting for the point on how we were going to win Superbowls... 

Reminds me on how we were told remodeled offices where the key. 

I can't imagine the full read could be any more (less) inspiring. I'll pass. 

That's not her job.  It's not her role.  It's not what she can control.  What she can control with her role is what she laid out in the article.  Why do fans have to have an all or nothing approach?  Yes, the most important thing is winning.  But the next most important thing is fan engagement, especially if people want any conversation about them moving to die down.  Are they trying to increase revenue with these moves?  I'm sure they are, they're a business.  Does anyone who caters to customers do it just because they love customers from the bottom of their hearts or are they trying to be successful from a business standpoint?  

But I just don't see why there is any hate to what she said the team is doing.  These are all good things.  It's not the end of what needs to be done for the franchise, but they're all positive things.  
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 11:24 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: That's not her job.  It's not her role.  It's not what she can control.  What she can control with her role is what she laid out in the article.  Why do fans have to have an all or nothing approach?  Yes, the most important thing is winning.  But the next most important thing is fan engagement, especially if people want any conversation about them moving to die down.  Are they trying to increase revenue with these moves?  I'm sure they are, they're a business.  Does anyone who caters to customers do it just because they love customers from the bottom of their hearts or are they trying to be successful from a business standpoint?  

But I just don't see why there is any hate to what she said the team is doing.  These are all good things.  It's not the end of what needs to be done for the franchise, but they're all positive things.  

Agreed. And I’m actually somewhat surprised by some of the grumbling in this thread. This seems to have been much better received other places online where I’ve seen it being discussed.

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 09:22 PM)BengalRed Wrote: All I know is when I watch other teams with their sideshows that appeal to fans I think to myself "why can't the Bengals do that?". Like the Vikings with their big horn, or the Seahawks with their 12th man. I've wished for years that Mike Brown would do something to make the fan experience fun. Maybe Elizabeth can do that. I for one am all for it. I haven't been to a Bengals game since they lost to the Chargers in the 2014 playoffs and I only live 90 miles away in Lexington.

You get the free tickets from Kroger, too?

I think I have been to maybe 3 games since then, opposed to the normal 1-2/year I tried to get to, but that game followed by the 2015 playoffs really did a 1-2 number on my enthusiasm and hope for the Bengals.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 11:27 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Agreed. And I’m actually somewhat surprised by some of the grumbling in this thread. This seems to have been much better received other places online where I’ve seen it being discussed.

I'm not. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 02:34 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Maybe she can marry a Hapsburg so that the Bengals will rule over a Grand Duchy of Europe. They could appoint Marvin Lewis to be an Earl. Duke can be a literal Duke. Wouldn't it be grand? Zac Taylor may have to be demoted to an actual Taylor however.

The Hapsburgs made an appearance...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 11:24 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: That's not her job.  It's not her role.  It's not what she can control.  What she can control with her role is what she laid out in the article.  Why do fans have to have an all or nothing approach?  Yes, the most important thing is winning.  But the next most important thing is fan engagement, especially if people want any conversation about them moving to die down.  Are they trying to increase revenue with these moves?  I'm sure they are, they're a business.  Does anyone who caters to customers do it just because they love customers from the bottom of their hearts or are they trying to be successful from a business standpoint?  

I dunno... We'd probably feel better about how badass she is at her role if she wasn't kin to the numbnuts that have kept this organization floundering for decades. People were really excited about Katie years ago... Hell some were excited about her when Zac Taylor was hired 2 years ago. I remember a sig reading "Go Katie Go!!!"... then something else about making this team into the winner that grandpappy had envisioned. So far so good Kate.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 12:46 AM)jason Wrote: I dunno... We'd probably feel better about how badass she is at her role if she wasn't kin to the numbnuts that have kept this organization floundering for decades. People were really excited about Katie years ago... Hell some were excited about her when Zac Taylor was hired 2 years ago. I remember a sig reading "Go Katie Go!!!"... then something else about making this team into the winner that grandpappy had envisioned. So far so good Kate.

I get that.  And I'm right in line with most people when it comes to ragging on the shortcomings.  I'm still PO'd they kept Zac and think he's going to waste another season here.  But I'll also gladly throw props toward the org if they make good moves.  And I think these are good moves.  And who knows, maybe ZT becomes the next prodigy out of nowhere this year and I'll have to applaud them for that move, too...
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 12:51 AM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I get that.  And I'm right in line with most people when it comes to ragging on the shortcomings.  I'm still PO'd they kept Zac and think he's going to waste another season here.  But I'll also gladly throw props toward the org if they make good moves.  And I think these are good moves.  And who knows, maybe ZT becomes the next prodigy out of nowhere this year and I'll have to applaud them for that move, too...

I feel awfully repetitive complaining about Zac being around. I want him fired, but I'd rather be wrong, and happy with the results. I want the guy to succeed. I really do. It's kinda the same thing with Elizabeth Blackburn. I'd love to read an article about some up and comer in the organization by the name of Taryn Wallace. She's just killin' it at whatever she does... But alas; it's just another one of these guys (the Brown family). We're sitting here hoping (against our better judgement) that one of these family members will finally "get it".

I'm not knocking Elizabeth Blackburn. I have zero social media presence, and I'll just have to take some of you fellas' word for it that she's doin' great things... But again: this just feels like our "new hope".

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 01:05 AM)jason Wrote: I feel awfully repetitive complaining about Zac being around. I want him fired, but I'd rather be wrong, and happy with the results. I want the guy to succeed. I really do. It's kinda the same thing with Elizabeth Blackburn. I'd love to read an article about some up and comer in the organization by the name of Taryn Wallace. She's just killin' it at whatever she does... But alas; it's just another one of these guys (the Brown family). We're sitting here hoping (against our better judgement) that one of these family members will finally "get it".

I'm not knocking Elizabeth Blackburn. I have zero social media presence, and I'll just have to take some of you fellas' word for it that she's doin' great things... But again: this just feels like our "new hope".

Same here

And I'm not knocking her or what she's doing either. I'm old school and I know it. And I'm sure that effects my view on this stuff.

But the bottomline for me is I want to see results on the field before I'm going to care about any of this stuff.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 01:20 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Same here

And I'm not knocking her or what she's doing either. I'm old school and I know it. And I'm sure that effects my view on this stuff.

But the bottomline for me is I want to see results on the field before I'm going to care about any of this stuff.

I dabbled with the whole social media thing for awhile... I quit because I have bigger issues with what I think it does to the individual, and society as a whole, but that's not the point. My point is the same tired refrain... There has to be somebody equally (or more) kick-ass at her job NOT named Brown or Blackburn... It's a big world out there. Let's jump into it. I don't wanna be grumpy mid to late 40s guy that keeps harping, so I'm ready and willing to be proven wrong.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I like her.
Reply/Quote
I guess that was pleasant to read. I can see why people aren't over the moon about marketing hype coming from yet another family member, though.

Part of me feels like we are going to give up on Katie changing the organization and root for this woman to eventually take over and bring the new dey.
Reply/Quote
Marketing 201: How to promote your business without spending a penny?  Release a statement.  Smack
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 10:16 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Marketing 201: How to promote your business without spending a penny?  Release a statement.  Smack

Marketing is great.  Drink the carbonated syrup in the red can if you love traditional things and Americana. Drink the carbonated syrup in the blue can if you're a young rebel who is ready to shake up the boring status quo!

My gramps who hasn't won much since he took over just kept a coach with 6 wins in 2 years.  Here is why you're still pumped about 2021....

I'm just jealous I never got paid to do damage control with my family. 
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 10:55 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Marketing is great.  Drink the carbonated syrup in the red can if you love traditional things and Americana. Drink the carbonated syrup in the blue can if you're a young rebel who is ready to shake up the boring status quo!

My gramps who hasn't won much since he took over just kept a coach with 6 wins in 2 years.  Here is why you're still pumped about 2021....

I'm just jealous I never got paid to do damage control with my family. 

Exactly

What she's doing is great, I like it. And I hope all this change means this team is turning a corner and finally going to embrace the modern NFL. But until I see results on the field I'm not going to get excited about the "fan experience" the price of hot dogs or having a social media presence.
Reply/Quote