Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Lying Matter? If So, How Much?
(02-09-2017, 03:53 PM)xxlt Wrote: Heard a snippet of a nationally broadcast interview today where the host said, "Trump has repeatedly called Putin 'a good and strong leader." The Trump advocate/surrogate (not sure who the guy was, but clearly pro Tiger) said, "He never said that," about ten times. The host said, "I can play you 16 audio clips of Trump saying those exact words," and the response was, "Well, we will just have to agree to disagree." At this point, there should be someone who comes and puts you in a stockade and everyone throws vegetables at you. 

How many times has a Trump surrogate said "He never said that" only to follow with "What he REALLY meant"?

I am wondering how intentional this constant fuss over what Trump says is. It creates an environment in which Trump statements are never definitively false--just infinitely revisable and a matter of point of view.

They are what Trump "believed" at the moment he made them. So its ok to make such statements since they SEEM TRUE AT THE TIME to him. He is "honest" since he is not saying what seems false to him.

Best you've got then is that his statements SEEM FALSE to you. His opinion against yours--and no one elected you president.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-09-2017, 06:45 PM)Dill Wrote: How many times has a Trump surrogate said "He never said that" only to follow with "What he REALLY meant"?

I am wondering how intentional this constant fuss over what Trump says is. It creates an environment in which Trump statements are never definitively false--just infinitely revisable and a matter of point of view.

They are what Trump "believed" at the moment he made them. So its ok to make such statements since they SEEM TRUE AT THE TIME to him. He is "honest" since he is not saying what seems false to him.

Best you've got then is that his statements SEEM FALSE to you. His opinion against yours--and no one elected you president.

At least one academic wrote a big piece saying this is a well worn political strategy and part of the Trump strategy - to sow confusion and distract while they loot the treasury and erode democracy. But, she is just a student of history and politics, what would she know?
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(02-10-2017, 12:29 PM)xxlt Wrote: At least one academic wrote a big piece saying this is a well worn political strategy and part of the Trump strategy - to sow confusion and distract while they loot the treasury and erode democracy. But, she is just a student of history and politics, what would she know?

LOL Fire those professors. They have made mess of things. Bring in "change agents" with no professional training to teach history and politics.  Then we'll get results!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-10-2017, 12:56 PM)Dill Wrote: LOL Fire those professors. They have made mess of things. Bring in "change agents" with no professional training to teach history and politics.  Then we'll get results!

Right! Run it like a business! Then, when it is failing, burn it down, collect the insurance money, and leave a bunch of unpaid change agents in your wake as you head for sunny Acapulco.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(02-10-2017, 01:13 PM)xxlt Wrote: Right! Run it like a business! Then, when it is failing, burn it down, collect the insurance money, and leave a bunch of unpaid change agents in your wake as you head for sunny Acapulco.
I'm actually for this.
A Re-Revolution, albeit all just on paperwork.

Sorry, (insert foreign country here) we don't owe you any money.
That was the old USA.
We're USA 2.0.
All those congressmen we just kicked out, yeah..., those are the cats that took on that bill.
Good Luck !
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/02/13/she-called-out-trump-s-lies-decades-ago.html