Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elly DLC @ SS
(02-21-2024, 02:40 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yes perhaps that's it? Next star SS? I dunno

But as been stated by myself and others in various threads. McClain is just a better SS when you consider everything. Why not try Elly in RF and see how he fares? With Friedl in CF and Elly in right there is some damn good speed out there running down fly balls. Cutting off line drives and getting the ball back in the infield quick.

Yes with Steer in LF it would cut down on opportunity for Benson, Fraley, and even India in OF but you gotta give these hot youngins some time to learn and improve.

Elly is the SS, unless he starts making a bunch of errors. The main reason being that he is longer and rangier. McClain is shorter of stature, with good power, and quickness. McClain is much better suited to play 2nd. Elly has a much larger wingspan/catch radius and also has great quickness, with a cannon. India will get slotted in as needed in a more versatile role would be my guess. 

He hit a 470' HR a day or so ago. He's going to be in the line-up and stay on my FBB roster for another season. Sorry Kevin and Tecmo... :)
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2024, 07:30 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'd love for someone to coach him up. Look at a lot of those "old school" players - 600 + plate appearances, 50ish strike outs, batting average way, WAY, higher than the kids today.

I think this has a lot to do with the improvement in pitching over the years.

Pitching development programs have become crazy nowadays, even as much as 20 years ago things were way different.

I remember when we signed Aroldis Chapman in 2010, he was the talk of the town. When he debuted near the end of the season, his outings were much watch TV. Why? Because he could throw over 100 mph. There were roars of applause after each pitch in his rookie season, especially for his record breaking 105 mph fastball.

Nowadays though, being able to throw 100 mph is just kind of...fine. Hunter Greene regularly throws 100 mph as a starter (much harder to do than as a reliever), and no one in the baseball world really cares. So many players are throwing 100 mph now, that it almost feels routine.

There are baseball pitching labs that are able to alter the shape of a pitcher's breaking ball almost at will. They've got it down to a science.

In the old school days, you had elite pitchers, but the strain that pitchers were putting on their arms was much lower, which meant easier pitches to hit. Complete games are extremely rare nowadays, but were regular occurrences in the 80s and earlier. 

In 1980, Rick Langford led the majors leagues with 28 complete games. He had 290.0 innings pitched that season. And he didn't lead the league in IP. That award belonged to Steve Carlton, with 304 innings pitched.

In 2023, Sandy Alcantra led the major leagues with 3 complete games. Logan Webb lead the majors with 216 innings pitched.

There was only one player in baseball with a strikeout rate less than 10% in 2023. A 20% strikeout rate is considered average nowadays.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2024, 02:40 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yes perhaps that's it? Next star SS? I dunno

But as been stated by myself and others in various threads. McClain is just a better SS when you consider everything. Why not try Elly in RF and see how he fares? With Friedl in CF and Elly in right there is some damn good speed out there running down fly balls. Cutting off line drives and getting the ball back in the infield quick.

Yes with Steer in LF it would cut down on opportunity for Benson, Fraley, and even India in OF but you gotta give these hot youngins some time to learn and improve.

If they worked with EDLC on hitting/seeing the curve ball, look out as he could have a monster season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2024, 05:00 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Elly is the SS, unless he starts making a bunch of errors. The main reason being that he is longer and rangier. McClain is shorter of stature, with good power, and quickness. McClain is much better suited to play 2nd. Elly has a much larger wingspan/catch radius and also has great quickness, with a cannon. India will get slotted in as needed in a more versatile role would be my guess. 

He hit a 470' HR a day or so ago. He's going to be in the line-up and stay on my FBB roster for another season. Sorry Kevin and Tecmo... :)

Good analysis and no argument from me. It's easy to forget about the range and athleticism he brings to the position.
Reply/Quote
He will play there until Arroyo earns his call up. Then he will probably be moved to the OF, where his range and arm SHOULD play quite well. The only way I see him staying at SS beyond this year is if Arroyo is traded or fails to develop in the minors. The latter of which I just don’t see happening.
Reply/Quote
The bad news - Elly has the team lead with 7 strike outs already. Man I sure hope he improves that a good bit in the regular season.

The good news - he has 4 runs, 6 hits, a 2B, 3B, HR, and 4 RBI's. and a .375 batting avg. He has the potential to be a real super star, no doubt. But he's got to quit being such a free swinger at the plate.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 04:26 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The bad news - Elly has the team lead with 7 strike outs already. Man I sure hope he improves that a good bit in the regular season.

The good news - he has 4 runs, 6 hits, a 2B, 3B, HR, and 4 RBI's. and a .375 batting avg. He has the potential to be a real super star, no doubt. But he's got to quit being such a free swinger at the plate.

So I am guessing that he's still a sucker for the curve?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 05:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So I am guessing that he's still a sucker for the curve?

Yes sir

And he swings at stuff that's not even on the same planet as a strike!!
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2024, 06:52 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yes sir

And he swings at stuff that's not even on the same planet as a strike!!

This is to be expected. He hasn't even been in the Bigs for a full season yet.

He spent his off-season working with Juan Soto. If he retains anything that Soto showed him, his contact rate should improve drastically! 

Open invitation to join the boards FBB league to you. Actually, I challenge you to join our league. I have a feeling that you will really enjoy it or be humbled if you do.
I mean that in a very respectful way. We are always happy to have knowledgeable baseball guys in the league and our league will show you and the rest of us just how knowledgeable that you are concerning baseball. 

Kevin, Tecmo, Selon23, and TheLeonardLeap, all know their baseball very, very well. 
Reply/Quote
Marte won't be playing SS in the immediate future. He received an 80 game suspension today.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/03/noelvi-marte-receives-80-game-suspension-after-positive-ped-test.html
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2024, 06:42 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Marte won't be playing SS in the immediate future. He received an 80 game suspension today.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/03/noelvi-marte-receives-80-game-suspension-after-positive-ped-test.html

So much for ROTY! He was a leading candidate for the award according to some baseball prognosticators. 
Reply/Quote
I hope I can see some Reds games this year now that they look to be a contender.

That Elly De La Cruz guy is one heck of a player from his highlights.

Always just been a Bengals fan being more of a Football fan but I do love me some Baseball.

Good luck to you guys this year as you are all hard core Reds fans I am sure almost as much as Bengals fans. Wink
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2024, 03:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I hope I can see some Reds games this year now that they look to be a contender.

That Elly De La Cruz guy is one heck of a player from his highlights.

Always just been a Bengals fan being more of a Football fan but I do love me some Baseball.

Good luck to you guys this year as you are all hard core Reds fans I am sure almost as much as Bengals fans. Wink

Elly has all the tools to be a true super star. Lets hope he does.
Reply/Quote