Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.8 Average
Elon Musk Twitter
Speaking of all this, anyone hear about Jack Dorsey's new project? It's called Bluesky and is essentially a new version of Twitter. You can join the beta waitlist and be among the hordes that will soon be "skeeting" all over the internet.

That's right. Your "skyline" on Bluesky will be filled with the "skeets" of other users.

Mellow
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 05:48 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Speaking of all this, anyone hear about Jack Dorsey's new project? It's called Bluesky and is essentially a new version of Twitter. You can join the beta waitlist and be among the hordes that will soon be "skeeting" all over the internet.

That's right. Your "skyline" on Bluesky will be filled with the "skeets" of other users.

Mellow

I've seen people talking about this in passing.  Let's say it is what Twitter was...how dumb was Musk?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 08:19 PM)GMDino Wrote: I've seen people talking about this in passing.  Let's say it is what Twitter was...how dumb was Musk?

IDK much about it.  I've just heard they hype on news and a couple of podcasts.  

I'd be kind of surprised if there wasn't some sort of agreement made at the sale prohibiting Dorsey from just re-creating Twitter with a different name, but who knows?  

Either way, Bluesky is succeeding at building hype.  A million person waitlist, if true will only create more interest.  
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2023, 05:48 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Speaking of all this, anyone hear about Jack Dorsey's new project? It's called Bluesky and is essentially a new version of Twitter. You can join the beta waitlist and be among the hordes that will soon be "skeeting" all over the internet.

Mellow

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
Musk's INCREDIBLE business sense strikes again!   Smirk

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/twitter-now-worth-just-33-185709652.html?guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9kcnVkZ2UuY29tLw&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAGckFUTbek_zI0zw5nz6Wq5B2qzZce2jO5Ej7Fn62wd_fgh7z4V9OuJtRs95ljZJO_b_wmhZZJJ1hh2q3aBMex2wSiBjI8sNL06cwKzamn4wrYAHQK-FFlzhTDVHETGk9x13R0lUp9zXt02dB4SMF7B8Vd2nGemPAEhEAJxPGOVo

Quote:Aisha Counts and Tom Maloney
Tue, May 30, 2023 at 4:35 PM EDT·2 min read

(Bloomberg) -- Twitter is now worth just one-third of what Elon Musk paid for the social-media platform, according to Fidelity, which recently marked down the value of its equity stake in the company.

Most Read from Bloomberg

Musk has acknowledged he overpaid for Twitter, which he bought for $44 billion, including $33.5 billion in equity. More recently, he said Twitter is worth less than half what he paid for it. It’s unclear how Fidelity arrived at its new, lower valuation or whether it receives any non-public information from the company.

Fidelity first reduced the value of its Twitter stake in November, to 44% of the purchase price. That was followed by further markdowns in December and February.

Twitter has struggled financially since Musk took over. After saddling the company with $13 billion of debt, Musk’s erratic decision making and challenges with content moderation led advertising revenue to decline by 50%, Musk said in March.

An attempt to recoup that revenue by selling Twitter Blue subscriptions has so far failed to take off. At the end of March, less than 1% of Twitter’s monthly users had signed up.

Twitter didn’t specifically respond to a request for comment.

Musk’s investment in Twitter is now worth $8.8 billion, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, which uses Fidelity’s valuation to calculate the value of his holding. Musk spent more than $25 billion to acquire an estimated 79% stake in the company last year.

The latest markdown erases about $850 million from Musk’s $187 billion fortune, according to the index. Despite Twitter’s issues, Musk’s wealth is up more than $48 billion this year, largely due to a 63% surge in Tesla Inc.’s share price.

(Updates with clarity in the second paragraph)
Reply/Quote
It's bad business to buy Twitter just to model it after 4chan, but the Musk fans can spin that as him valuing "freedom of speech" over profits.  For what Musk did, he should have just made his own Twitter-style site rather than spending 45 billion to have the rights to put the name Twitter upon his own site.

It'd be like spending 10 billion bucks to legally own the name THE BEATLES and then releasing a new Beatles album by putting an Andrew Ridgeley album in the sleeve.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Didn't he hyper inflate its worth when he initially announced he was going to buy it? I'm not sure where it settled by the time the deal was done, but I wonder what it's worth compares to before he announced buying it to now.
Reply/Quote
Musk’s offer was 38% higher than the stock price from the day before his offer of $54.20 per share

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(05-31-2023, 10:43 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It's bad business to buy Twitter just to model it after 4chan, but the Musk fans can spin that as him valuing "freedom of speech" over profits.  For what Musk did, he should have just made his own Twitter-style site rather than spending 45 billion to have the rights to put the name Twitter upon his own site.

It'd be like spending 10 billion bucks to legally own the name THE BEATLES and then releasing a new Beatles album by putting an Andrew Ridgeley album in the sleeve.  

What I saw in the comments were the fanboys saying Musk *knew* it would do this while he was "retooling" it to be better than it ever was before.  We jsut have to wait and see his genius at work!

Probably two weeks or so.  About the time the gop health plan comes out...lol.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2023, 09:02 AM)GMDino Wrote: What I saw in the comments were the fanboys saying Musk *knew* it would do this while he was "retooling" it to be better than it ever was before.  We jsut have to wait and see his genius at work!

Probably two weeks or so.  About the time the gop health plan comes out...lol.

Ok I just hope that vaccine I got doesn't kill me before then.  According to the internet, I'm on borrowed time. 
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2023, 09:24 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Ok I just hope that vaccine I got doesn't kill me before then.  According to the internet, I'm on borrowed time. 

What the financial gurus in this thread apparently don't get is that you don't lose money on something until you sell it, or if the product itself cost more to operate than it makes.  Also, I don't think Musk bought Twitter to make money, although he certainly wanted to make it more profitable once acquired.  I think he wanted a legitimate free speech platform on the internet.  Also, look at all the doom saying after he bought Twitter and laid off a huge chunk of the staff.  It would be only weeks before Twitter went down for good, he cut the staff too much, there's no way it can continue to function, etc.  I've noticed zero difference in how the site runs since his takeover.  I have noticed a major difference in the opinions people are free to express on Twitter.  So, it looks like Musk was 100% correct about Twitter being a bloated company full of redundant and useless positions as well as being overly censorious towards conservative beliefs.  I'm sure I'll be labeled a Musk stan because I'm not joining the "cool kids" in bashing him.  Far from it, but I do appreciate that he has principles and beliefs and is willing to put his money where his mouth is.

As for him losing money, he's already back to being the world's richest man, with an increase in net worth of 55.3 billion YTD.  So I think he'll be alright regardless of what he gets from Twitter if, and when, he ever sells it.  https://www.bloomberg.com/billionaires/?sref=GYlFC92K

I do find it interesting how quickly the left turned on Musk once he espoused political opinions not in lockstep with the far left.  He went from being the man who's saving the planet to literally Hitler, all because he doesn't believe in censoring people the left disagree with.  
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2023, 11:29 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: What the financial gurus in this thread apparently don't get is that you don't lose money on something until you sell it, or if the product itself cost more to operate than it makes.  Also, I don't think Musk bought Twitter to make money, although he certainly wanted to make it more profitable once acquired.  I think he wanted a legitimate free speech platform on the internet.  Also, look at all the doom saying after he bought Twitter and laid off a huge chunk of the staff.  It would be only weeks before Twitter went down for good, he cut the staff too much, there's no way it can continue to function, etc.  I've noticed zero difference in how the site runs since his takeover.  I have noticed a major difference in the opinions people are free to express on Twitter.  So, it looks like Musk was 100% correct about Twitter being a bloated company full of redundant and useless positions as well as being overly censorious towards conservative beliefs.  I'm sure I'll be labeled a Musk stan because I'm not joining the "cool kids" in bashing him.  Far from it, but I do appreciate that he has principles and beliefs and is willing to put his money where his mouth is.

As for him losing money, he's already back to being the world's richest man, with an increase in net worth of 55.3 billion YTD.  So I think he'll be alright regardless of what he gets from Twitter if, and when, he ever sells it.  https://www.bloomberg.com/billionaires/?sref=GYlFC92K

I do find it interesting how quickly the left turned on Musk once he espoused political opinions not in lockstep with the far left.  He went from being the man who's saving the planet to literally Hitler, all because he doesn't believe in censoring people the left disagree with.  

I don't know why you are quoting me, I just said that I don't see why Musk would spend $45 billion bucks to buy a brand only to turn it into something he could have built himself.  Maybe I'm actually giving him too much credit by saying he could have achieved his goals of promoting free speech without spending $45 billion bucks.  Most free speech advocates in history aren't the richest person on the planet when they make their mark on the world, to my knowledge...maybe it really is just a rich man's game now.

I think we're on different pages here.  Musk is still rich, just like Target and Anheiser Busch are still rich.  Hell, Mike Brown drafted Akili Smith and he's still rich...doesn't mean the moves they made were the right ones.  

I honestly can't say I paid much attention to Musk before this and I only know about this stuff now because, like that DeSantis announcement, Musk has become a bit of a spectacle.  Twitter and Tesla are two things that bring in the big bucks, but aren't the most relevant brands to the population, myself included.  I will say it is good marketing for him to strap his brand image to the 1A, though...that's an effective play.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2023, 11:46 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't know why you are quoting me, I just said that I don't see why Musk would spend $45 billion bucks to buy a brand only to turn it into something he could have built himself.  Maybe I'm actually giving him too much credit by saying he could have achieved his goals of promoting free speech without spending $45 billion bucks.  Most free speech advocates in history aren't the richest person on the planet when they make their mark on the world, to my knowledge...maybe it really is just a rich man's game now.

I think we're on different pages here.  Musk is still rich, just like Target and Anheiser Busch are still rich.  Hell, Mike Brown drafted Akili Smith and he's still rich...doesn't mean the moves they made were the right ones.  

I honestly can't say I paid much attention to Musk before this and I only know about this stuff now because, like that DeSantis announcement, Musk has become a bit of a spectacle.  Twitter and Tesla are two things that bring in the big bucks, but aren't the most relevant brands to the population, myself included.  I will say it is good marketing for him to strap his brand image to the 1A, though...that's an effective play.

Not really targeting you, but I understand how quoting you would look like I'm just responding to your post.  I'm more commenting on the general thread and its tone.  As for buying Twitter and its effectiveness, it's still the number one site for public discourse.  Certain posters here use it as a source all the time.  There are scores of YouTube channels with millions of subscribers who almost exclusively react to Tweets or topics brought up on Twitter.  I genuinely think Musk abhors the trend towards censorship going on in the West.  There are numerous countries in the supposedly "free world" where you can be jailed for voicing an opinion.  I find this nauseating and I believe Musk does as well.  He also recently left the EU's "Code of Practice" regarding "disinformation.

It's apparently been too long since anyone in the West had to really fight for anything of significance as there are far too many people willing to give away hard fought freedoms.

Here's an interesting read on "hate speech" and other limitations on the 1A if anyone is interested.

https://www.cato.org/survey-reports/state-free-speech-tolerance-america
Reply/Quote
More frequent outages.

More hate speech. (Yes, I'm aware 1A protects such things...a private company doesn't have to allow it.)

More problems with over all usage.

Eliminated better security for accounts...unless you pay for it.

Eliminated the verified accounts...unless you pay for it. So there are tons of fake accounts that are verified.

Losing money.

Losing advertisers.

It's almost Truth Social Lite...lol.

[Image: 6gto0q.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2023, 12:12 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It's apparently been too long since anyone in the West had to really fight for anything of significance as there are far too many people willing to give away hard fought freedoms.

And we have the richest man on the planet buying the biggest site for public discourse and using it to promote certain politician and pundits that I perceive to be a threat to many liberties.  We are each free to view these developments in our own ways.

I won't act like Musk is Hitler's best pal, but I don't think he'd be rubbing elbows with Lincoln, either.  To me he seems like a guy who has an unhealthy obsession with the internet like many other people (myself included), but he has enough money to buy the biggest platform upon which to shitpost.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2023, 12:29 PM)Nately120 Wrote: And we have the richest man on the planet buying the biggest site for public discourse and using it to promote certain politician and pundits that I perceive to be a threat to many liberties.  We are each free to view these developments in our own ways.

I have zero issue with people being promoted, even if I vehemently disagree with them.  I have a major issue with people being blocked or censored.  Remember, according to AOC, "deplatforming works."

Quote:I won't act like Musk is Hitler's best pal, but I don't think he'd be rubbing elbows with Lincoln, either.  To me he seems like a guy who has an unhealthy obsession with the internet like many other people (myself included), but he has enough money to buy the biggest platform upon which to shitpost.

I think a fair amount of that is down to his autism.  But, again, I have zero issue with people being able to say whatever they want, as long as it isn't a direct incitement.  I'd much rather someone tells me who they really are then hide behind a mask.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2023, 01:02 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I have zero issue with people being promoted, even if I vehemently disagree with them.  I have a major issue with people being blocked or censored.  Remember, according to AOC, "deplatforming works."

I think a fair amount of that is down to his autism.  But, again, I have zero issue with people being able to say whatever they want, as long as it isn't a direct incitement.  I'd much rather someone tells me who they really are then hide behind a mask.

Well, Musk sort of discovered a soft way to deplatform AOC by allowing an obvious identity thief portray her, though I don't know if it was in a manner of parody and/or if there are a bunch of fake Trumps and DeSantis clones on there making them look bad.  For all I know there are a hundred fake DeSantis clones on there talking about how much they love dressing in drag.

I agree with you in the sense that people should be able to say what they want, but I also feel like Elon Musk is very much wearing a mask by retooling a private organization to promote himself and the ideas and people he wants to promote under the guise of it being an altruistic gesture of protecting or promoting freedom.

It's not what he's doing, but the narrative he's trying to spin which is very much a typical sociopolitical facade, or at least a case of misdirection.  And I could be wrong, but I'm free to say Musk is more Caesar Romero than Cesar Chavez in my book.  Keep in mind, I've never had a twitter account and I don't like Ron DeSantis so I'm not Elon's target market, so what I think is even more inconsequential than usual. 
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2023, 01:02 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I have zero issue with people being promoted, even if I vehemently disagree with them.  I have a major issue with people being blocked or censored.  Remember, according to AOC, "deplatforming works."

I agree, but what we've seen is an even mercurial state of censorship at Twitter. Hopefully, with Musk stepping away from the hands on management that will resolve itself, but he proved he has no real interest in free speech with how quickly he was willing to censor is critics.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2023, 01:29 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I agree, but what we've seen is an even mercurial state of censorship at Twitter. Hopefully, with Musk stepping away from the hands on management that will resolve itself, but he proved he has no real interest in free speech with how quickly he was willing to censor is critics.

Call me a cynic, but I think Musk is just going to use this female CEO as a veritable human shield while he still dictates how things are run.  Still, it's ultimately up to the consumer to walk away from Twitter if they don't like the way it is doing things.
Reply/Quote