Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.8 Average
Elon Musk Twitter
(08-23-2023, 03:35 PM)basballguy Wrote: I don't believe he bought the "brand" but more he bought a platform with immediate access to hundreds of millions of users.

However, if he DID buy the brand, is there anything about the word "Twitter" that makes you think positive thoughts?  Musk himself was a vocal opponent of Twitter leading up to the purchase.  You don't usually see new leaders come when companies are performing at peak lol.  So with that thought in mind, rebranding would make total sense.  

Twitter had a recognizable brand and logo.  It had a language surrounding it that everyone knew. Everyone knew what you meant when you talked about a tweet and everyone knew that little blue bird.

And even though there were negatives it wasn't a broken brand.  The value of Twitter was in the brand not in the platform or technology,  It was the fact that the world knew Twitter. You don't screw with that. You make tweaks to improve the product you don't give it some anonymous name and logo.  You don't totally destroy the parts that were working.  Elon took the parts of Twitter that were working and broke those and made the parts that weren't working even worse.  In one fell swoop Elon wiped out BILLIONS of dollars of valuation of his company that he will never get back because people don't know how to talk about X.  

Its hs money to blow as he sees fit but so far it seems like every decision he has made around Twitter/X has been a failure

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-24-2023, 06:16 PM)pally Wrote: Twitter had a recognizable brand and logo.  It had a language surrounding it that everyone knew. Everyone knew what you meant when you talked about a tweet and everyone knew that little blue bird.

And even though there were negatives it wasn't a broken brand.  The value of Twitter was in the brand not in the platform or technology,  It was the fact that the world knew Twitter. You don't screw with that. You make tweaks to improve the product you don't give it some anonymous name and logo.  You don't totally destroy the parts that were working.  Elon took the parts of Twitter that were working and broke those and made the parts that weren't working even worse.  In one fell swoop Elon wiped out BILLIONS of dollars of valuation of his company that he will never get back because people don't know how to talk about X.  

Its hs money to blow as he sees fit but so far it seems like every decision he has made around Twitter/X has been a failure

What are you talking about? 
he just gave himself a nice tax write off to be spread out for the next 20 years.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
What happens when the owner thinks he can run it all by himself because he's the smartest guy in the room?

Things go great!  Cool

[Image: Screenshot-2023-08-27-194410.jpg]

**CLICKS ON TWEET**

[Image: Screenshot-2023-08-27-194439.jpg]

Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
Almost as seamless as General Electric changing it's name to GE, huh? Or Keskies to K-mart! He could have skipped the drama and changed the name to plain FU..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattnovak/2023/08/28/twitter-suffers-outage-in-us-affecting-thousands/?sh=d3345fc21432

Quote:Twitter Suffers Outage In U.S. Affecting Web Users

[/url]Matt Novak
Senior Contributor

FOIA reporter and founder of Paleofuture.com, writing news and opinion on every aspect of technology.
Follow

Aug 28, 2023,07:32pm EDT

[url=https://policies.google.com/privacy]
[color=var(--foreground-color)]Listen to article2 minutes

[/color]

[Image: 0x0.jpg?format=jpg&crop=1891,1063,x0,y76...&width=960]

The new (Twitter) logo rebranded as X displayed on mobile with Elon Musk in the background, seen in ... [+]
NURPHOTO VIA GETTY IMAGES
Are you having trouble accessing X, the social media platform previously known as Twitter? You’re not alone. Tens of thousands of users in the U.S. have reported problems that seem to have started around 7:06 p.m. ET.

The problems with X seem to mostly be occurring with people who access the site from the website as opposed to the smartphone app, according to Down Detector. Users are being greeted with a message that reads, “Something went wrong. Try reloading.” Reloading doesn’t seem to help, according to my own tests.

X has suffered from various technical problems in recent months that have included users being unable to load the site. The social media platform even put a cap on users who were stopped from using the site after reading just 600 tweets. That was cap was soon raised and doesn’t appear to be a serious problem anymore.

X owner Elon Musk bought Twitter back in October 2022 and made a number of drastic changes, including firing thousands of people. Some tech experts warned at the time that getting rid of so much staff risked causing the site to experience outages, though it’s not clear what’s causing the current downtime.

Musk has also courted controversy on the site by making inflammatory statements that have reportedly scared advertisers. The billionaire owner recently said ad revenue has declined by roughly 50% since he took over and it’s not clear what might be done to fix that in the near term.
Reply/Quote
Oof.

[Image: Screenshot-2023-09-05-123338.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Elon is threatening the Anti-Defamation League for calling him out about all the anti-semitism that has populated the site since he took over. He is blaming the ADL for a 60% drop in advertising revenue since he took over because they supposedly are pressuring the advertisers.

He claims he is "pro free speech" but supported the bots on X when they started a "ban the ADL" trending tag by liking those particular tweets/x's. I guess he is ok with anti-semitic tweets ie one that literally says "f*** the Jews" but is against it when the ADL claims that speech like that is anti-semitic

https://techcrunch.com/2023/09/04/elon-musk-to-sue-adl-for-falsely-accusing-him-x-of-antisemitism/

or maybe because they know what hate speech can lead to but hey in the meantime lets buy into a favorite anti-semitic trope

Reply/Quote
(08-24-2023, 06:16 PM)pally Wrote: Its hs money to blow as he sees fit but so far it seems like every decision he has made around Twitter/X has been a failure

This is just a theory, but I think Elon Musk may have been playing a little 4D chess here. If he takes control of Twitter, which is still the one of if not the biggest news source online, he has massive control over the presidency. I think he saw how Twitter, the feds and the democrats teamed up and buried the Hunter Biden laptop story, and changed the course of the election. So, he bought it, and crafted a plan to have Trump and Tucker (they were in it together I think) to get 250 million views. Either Trump gets elected this year, or Tucker gets elected in 2028. And I do think Tucker runs. He turned down 100 million but still did the interview with Trump. He’s working on the MAGA vote for 2028. If either of them get elected, Elon has a BFF in the White House. He chose GOP because he thinks the left has lost their minds and now that he bought Twitter, they’ll start painting him as a white supremacist anyway.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 12:26 AM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: This is just a theory, but I think Elon Musk may have been playing a little 4D chess here. If he takes control of Twitter, which is still the one of if not the biggest news source online, he has massive control over the presidency. I think he saw how Twitter, the feds and the democrats teamed up and buried the Hunter Biden laptop story, and changed the course of the election. So, he bought it, and crafted a plan to have Trump and Tucker (they were in it together I think) to get 250 million views. Either Trump gets elected this year, or Tucker gets elected in 2028. And I do think Tucker runs. He turned down 100 million but still did the interview with Trump. He’s working on the MAGA vote for 2028. If either of them get elected, Elon has a BFF in the White House. He chose GOP because he thinks the left has lost their minds and now that he bought Twitter, they’ll start painting him as a white supremacist anyway.

He chose the GOP because a liberal woke LA school turned his kid into a trans communist….

This is real life.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 04:43 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: He chose the GOP because a liberal woke LA school turned his kid into a trans communist….

This is real life.

Interesting how Twitter is still located in Commiefornia when Musk has had ample time to move it to a non woke place like Mississippi.
Reply/Quote
This is all part of some BRILLIANT plan!  I'm sure... Mellow

https://www.reuters.com/breakingviews/elon-musks-x-is-black-hole-value-2023-10-03/

Quote:Elon Musk’s X is a black hole of value
By Jennifer Saba
October 3, 20234:18 PM EDTUpdated a day ago

CommentaryBy Jennifer Saba

[Image: WEXWQEEVYVMV5AQEGM4QRDISHM.jpg]
Elon Musk waves as he arrives for a bipartisan Artificial Intelligence (AI) Insight Forum for all U.S. senators hosted by Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, U.S., September 13, 2023. REUTERS/Leah Millis Acquire Licensing Rights

NEW YORK, Oct 3 (Reuters Breakingviews) - X is still worth something, but not for the people running it. Boss Linda Yaccarino is set to present her plans for the social network formerly known as Twitter to bankers holding nearly $13 billion of its debt, the Financial Times reported. Looming over talks is the likelihood that X’s value is substantially less than even that figure.

This week’s meeting with seven banks led by Morgan Stanley (MS.N) that supported Elon Musk’s $44 billion acquisition of the platform caps off a tumultuous first four months for Yaccarino, a former advertising executive at Comcast-owned (CMCSA.O) NBCUniversal. That includes a contentious interview last week in which she seemed caught off-guard by Musk’s announced ambition to charge X users a monthly fee to combat bots.

Despite Musk’s big pronouncements about pushing into subscriptions, X has historically relied on advertising, which contributed over 90% of revenue when it was a public company. But that business is spiraling, and the platform’s shifting policies could threaten more branding deals. In July, Musk posted that cash flow was negative because of a 50% drop in advertising sales.

The apparent strategic disconnect between the company’s ad-focused chief executive and its subscription-hungry owner comes as valuations are falling. TikTok parent ByteDance was recently valued at $224 billion, down by about a quarter from a year ago, the Information reported. Disappearing messaging app Snap’s (SNAP.N) market value has slumped by more than 10% over the past year.

Put it all together, and X isn’t just worth less than Musk paid for it, but likely less than its debt. Assume that the company’s revenue last year was $4.7 billion, based on results before it was taken private. If advertising has dropped by half, then this year’s sales should be a bit over $2.5 billion. Put that on the same enterprise-value-to-sales multiple as Snap, which is down to a mere 3 times, and X is worth around $8 billion.

The company is so far covering its hefty interest payments of $300 million per quarter, and Yaccarino sees profitable days ahead. But between Musk’s impromptu product shifts and the need to woo back advertisers, her task is daunting. If things deteriorate further, the company’s bankers - already nursing billions in on-paper losses - face the prospect of taking back the keys to a diminished platform that is worth less than even their claim on it. Like a financial black hole, X threatens to consume most of whatever value it once had.

(The author is a Reuters Breakingviews columnist. The opinions expressed are her own.)
Follow @jennifersaba on X

CONTEXT NEWS
Linda Yaccarino, the chief executive of Elon Musk-owned X, is planning to meet with bankers to lay out her plans to kickstart growth at the social media platform, the Financial Times reported on Sept. 28.

Yaccarino is set to meet with a group of seven banks, led by Morgan Stanley, that provided $12.5 billion in debt financing to fund Musk’s $44 billion acquisition of X, then known as Twitter, in 2022.

Editing by Jonathan Guilford and Sharon Lam

Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.
[url=https://www.thomsonreuters.com/en/about-us/trust-principles.html][/url]
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2023, 08:51 PM)GMDino Wrote: What happens when the owner thinks he can run it all by himself because he's the smartest guy in the room?

Things go great!  Cool

[Image: Screenshot-2023-08-27-194410.jpg]

**CLICKS ON TWEET**

[Image: Screenshot-2023-08-27-194439.jpg]

Smirk

It is easy to QB from the bench. How many billions have you made in your lifetime? You post like you know better, so please share your results.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 08:31 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It is easy to QB from the bench. How many billions have you made in your lifetime? You post like you know better, so please share your results.

I could never own a business or make a billion dollars and still be happier and smarter than Musk. 

My goal isn't to die with the most money, it's to help everyone I can.

Secondly I'm not out there professing to be genius businessman.  He is.  And he's not doing so well.

Lastly:
[Image: 95831c9e-1840-4b3f-987b-43dbde6fafea-esh...2Ccompress]
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 08:31 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It is easy to QB from the bench. How many billions have you made in your lifetime? You post like you know better, so please share your results.

Go to now, ye rich men, weep and howl for your miseries that shall come upon you.  Your riches are corrupted, and your garments are motheaten.  Your gold and silver is cankered; and the rust of them shall be a witness against you, and shall eat your flesh as it were fire. Ye have heaped treasure together for the last days.  Behold, the hire of the labourers who have reaped down your fields, which is of you kept back by fraud, crieth: and the cries of them which have reaped are entered into the ears of the Lord of sabaoth.

-----some book conservatives won't shut the hell up about

Honestly, Elon could give me some pointers on making money and i could give him some pointers on how to remain on speaking terms with your spouse and family members. 

Then his ol man could give is some pointers on knocking up your adopted daughters.  Oooh lala!
Reply/Quote
Elon is a modern Edison... in the fact he often uses people without giving them the credit they deserve. He even goes so far as to completely disavow knowing them and send herds of lawyers after them if they speak about their working relationships. This is from a friend of mine that he tried to bully, but my friend has enough money/clout to defend himself and he never signed an NDA.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
What could go wrong?  Ninja

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/elon-musk-gives-x-employees-one-year-to-replace-your-bank/ar-AA1iUVPD

Quote:Elon Musk gives X employees one year to replace your bank
E
lon Musk wants X to be the center of your financial world, handling anything in your life that deals with money. He expects those features to launch by the end of 2024, he told X employees during an all hands call on Thursday, saying that people will be surprised with “just how powerful it is.”

“When I say payments, I actually mean someone’s entire financial life,” Musk said, according to audio of the meeting obtained by The Verge. “If it involves money. It’ll be on our platform. Money or securities or whatever. So, it’s not just like send $20 to my friend. I’m talking about, like, you won’t need a bank account.”

X CEO Linda Yaccarino said the company sees this becoming a “full opportunity” in 2024. “It would blow my mind if we don’t have that rolled out by the end of next year,” Musk said.

Musk wants to beat PayPal with the PayPal playbook he wrote two decades ago

The company is currently working on locking down money transmissions licenses across the US so that it can offer financial services. Musk told employees Thursday that he hopes to get the others X needs in “the next few months.”

Musk has discussed his plans to turn X into a financial hub before. He even renamed Twitter after his dot-com-boom-era online bank, X.com, which eventually became part of PayPal. He previously said the platform would offer high-yield money market accounts, debit cards, checks, and loan services, with the goal of letting users “send money anywhere in the world instantly and in real-time.”

[Image: VideoBlue.svg]Related video: One year later: Musk's X losing users and value (Straight Arrow News)

It's been a year since tech billionaire Elon Musk took
[Image: AAZe4WE.img?w=16&h=16&q=60&m=6&f=jpg&u=t...&f=jpg&u=t]Straight Arrow News
One year later: Musk's X losing users and value

The original plan for X.com is clearly on Musk’s mind. “The X/PayPal product roadmap was written by myself and David Sacks actually in July of 2000,” Musk said on Thursday’s internal X call. “And for some reason PayPal, once it became eBay, not only did they not implement the rest of the list, but they actually rolled back a bunch of key features, which is crazy. So PayPal is actually a less complete product than what we came up with in July of 2000, so 23 years ago.”

Turning X into a rich hub for financial services ties directly into Musk’s goal of making the platform into an “everything app,” akin to super apps like WeChat in China that offer access to shopping, transportation, and more.

Musk faces major challenges to get there, though. Convincing people why they need such a platform is one. Getting them to trust X with their entire financial life is another.
Reply/Quote
some dude goes full anti-semitic...and Elon Musk agreed with him

Reply/Quote
Advertisers are once again abandoning Twitter/X after discovering their ads next to anti-Semitic and pro neo-nazi content and Elon’s own public approval of anti semitic posts. They include IBM, Apple, Disney, Paramount, NBC/Universal, Warner Brothers Discovery, Lionsgate, and Oracle

Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

[Image: F_OC26vWgAAS_hP?format=jpg&name=medium]
Reply/Quote
Let me guess ? He's the victim ? The big white knight that evil forces want to shut down ?

LMFAO.

Though hat off to the marketing teams of SpaceX who call crashes : “Rapid unscheduled disassembly”

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote