Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Email to I.T. department over laptop concern.
I called our I.T. department to have one of the guys set up a home printer to my laptop. During that awkward period of time waiting while he takes control of my computer and is setting up the printer, I mention I think I need a new laptop. I explained the space bar key only worked half the time and I spent more time going back through a paragraph and adding space than actually writing the paragraph itself. He advised me I didn't need a new laptop but only a new keyboard. To my surprise, I really didn't think about that (I'm not computer savvy). So while he is doing his thing, he also gets on Amazon and orders me a new keyboard. We talked about the difficulty of installation and I said, I can try to install since it doesn't sound that hard. After I received the keyboard, I wrote him this email that evening:

Well, I guess I’m not as mechanical as I thought? Firstly, I received the keyboard in the mail today and couldn’t wait to get it home and install (the keyboard has been very frustrating). I opened the box to the new keyboard and there was no instructions. So, decided I would figure it out. I mean, hey, I’m pretty smart right? Well, Bad idea. I thought it would be smart to remove the battery first to remove any power or static electricity. So I did that. Removed a couple screws from the back. I see a slot by the power button so popped off the face and seen some screws which looked like they were holding in the keyboard. So I removed them as well. Well, couldn’t figure out how to get the keyboard out so I turned it upside down and SON OF A GUN! More than just the keyboard fell out. Scared the hell out of me, dropped the laptop which ricochet off the kitchen table and flipped the battery about 3 ft in the air right into my wife’s dishwater.  Laptop crashed to the ground on top of everything else and corner of table cracked the screen.

The computer was not my biggest problem. The laptop landed by the dog. The dog got startled and jumped up and hit her head on the bottom of the table and knocked her half dizzy. Then she started running in circles. The wife got concerned and ran to attend to the dog and stepped squarely on the laptop, which slid, and with both legs in the air, in slow motion it seemed, watched her fly up and then descend to the floor. At this time, our other dog takes off flying to Mom’s rescue and runs into the kitchen. When she tried to stop, her paws hit the dishwater on the floor caused by all the havoc and slid uncontrollably into the other dog, the wife and the laptop, leaving 4 casualties on the floor.

Just kidding. I got it installed in less than 25 minutes and was pretty proud of myself. I’m not a techy! Nobody was hurt and the keyboard is working fine. I actually typed this long made up story just to test the quality of the keyboard and the install and everything worked perfectly. Thanks for helping me out and getting this to me quickly. I no longer have to spend the same amount of time after typing an email going back through it and adding spaces.

Response next day: LOL, that is a great story.  I tell ya – I read the first sentence and thought for the worst.  Then I kept reading and thought “oh boy, here comes a new laptop”.  Although the story did sound a bit far fetched J

Well, at least it was fun writing it. Cool

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote