Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Email turns 45 years old this year and still bedevils politicians
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2016/09/15/email-turns-45-years-old-year-and-still-bedevils-politicians/90351156/

Quote:According to computer science lore, a computer engineer named Ray Tomlinson sent the first email message "sometime in late 1971," meaning the now ubiquitous communication system is celebrating its 45th birthday around now.

What better time to recount some of the political nightmares that email has created for politicians of both parties. Here are some of the email-related political scandals that you may have forgotten under the storm of controversy over Hillary Clinton's exclusive use of a private email system while she was secretary of State.

Former Alaska governor Sarah Palin

Palin kept a third, private e-mail account, on top of her official and regular personal accounts, which she used to communicate with a small circle of staff members,The Washington Post disclosed in 2008 after her Yahoo account was hacked.
The 2008 Republican vice presidential candidate was forced to release more than 24,000 pages of emails from official and private email accounts used during her tenure as governor.
[Image: 636094611368411173-AFP-553637191.jpg]
Sarah Palin addresses the Western Conservative Summit in Denver on July 1, 2016. (Photo: Jason Connolly, AFP/Getty Images)

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo
Last year, the Empire State's Democratic governor implemented a policy of automatically deleting emails of rank-and-file state workers that are more than three months old, resulting in the loss of thousands of pages of official communications.
Though the policy isn't illegal, it has drawn criticism from watchdog groups in New York and elsewhere, who say automatically deleting emails raises questions regarding transparency in the government and could hinder access to public information.
[Image: 636053330460887285-XXX-RH42764.JPG]
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo speaks during the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia on July 28, 2016. (Photo: Robert Hanashiro, USA TODAY)

Former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney
The 2012 Republican presidential candidate and some of his top aides used private email accounts to conduct state business when Romney was governor of Massachusetts, according to documents obtained by the Associated Press during Romney's race.
Though the communications were legal under Massachusetts state law, the former governor's own administration warned state agencies against using private accounts because of cybersecurity concerns.
The private accounts raised questions about why Romney and his aides bypassed Massachusetts' official communications system and whether they are subject to public disclosure. Brian McNiff, a spokesman for the Massachusetts secretary of the Commonwealth, which oversees handling of government records, said at the time that private emails used for state business "are public records and that retention rules apply."
[Image: 636003792576329585-AP-PRESIDENTIAL-RACE-80223236.JPG]
Mitt Romney is interviewed on the Fox Business Network in March 2016. (Photo: Richard Drew, AP)

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker
Walker called Hillary Clinton's use of a private email server "an outrage," but he, too, was caught running a secret email network for his inner circle of advisers when he was Milwaukee County executive.
Walker's email server was the center of a three-year investigation where hundreds of thousands of emails were examined and hundreds of witnesses were interviewed. No charges were ever filed against Walker, but two of his aides were convicted for doing political work while on the county payroll.
[Image: 636069613355394256-USP-NEWS-REPUBLICAN-N...465450.JPG]
Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker speaks during the Republican National Convention in Cleveland on July 19, 2016. (Photo: Thomas P. Costello, Asbury Park Press)

Former North Carolina governor Mike Easley
Several media outlets sued Easley in 2008, claiming his administration routinely violated the state's public records law by deleting official emails they considered "sensitive."
The lawsuit revealed that Easley, a Democrat, sometimes used a secret email account to conduct state business. Easley's communications director, Sherri Johnson, testified that only a few top staffers could access the account, which never turned up in public records requests for email correspondence from governor's office before the lawsuit.
[Image: 636094613726678290-IA04-NL-Easley-24.jpg]
Mike Easley speaks to reporters during a year-end interview at the governor's mansion in Raleigh, N.C., in 2006. (Photo: Gerry Broome, AP)

Florida Sen. Marco Rubio
The Wall Street Journal reported that Rubio used a private email account for official use when he was the leader of the Florida House, and "when the Orlando Sentinel filed a public-records request for the emails from the private account about the legislative session, Mr. Rubio’s spokeswoman said they had been deleted.”
The senator admitted to using the private account for official work but insists the deleted private emails were unrelated to his official responsibilities.
[Image: 636083482139705925-rubio.JPG]
Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., speaks at a primary election party on Aug. 30, 2016, in Kissimmee, Fla. (Photo: John Raoux, AP)

The Bush administration
Though the Presidential Records Act requires White House documents to be preserved, a 2007 congressional investigation revealed that millions of Bush administration emails from a private server could not be accounted for.
Karl Rove, the top adviser to former president George W. Bush, allegedly used hisRepublican National Committee email improperly, which resulted in the disappearance of at least four years' worth of correspondence.
Up to 22 aides to Bush may have used party or campaign email accounts — which were issued to separate official business from political work — incorrectly.  Some of the accounts were used to discuss the firings of eight federal prosecutors, a decision that launched investigations that consumed the last years of the Bush administration.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
My favorite one is that last one, given how much shit Clinton has caught over the same thing from people who conveniently ignore the other side's wrong doing.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Email is 45 years old?

I don't think so.
(09-15-2016, 03:44 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Email is 45 years old?

I don't think so.

Mellow

Quote:According to computer science lore, a computer engineer named Ray Tomlinson sent the first email message "sometime in late 1971," meaning the now ubiquitous communication system is celebrating its 45th birthday around now.
That's probably about right. Al Gore would've been about 23....
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-15-2016, 03:46 PM)GMDino Wrote: Mellow

I learned today that email was around 45 years ago.

I thought it was a thing made in the 90s. Didn't thing it went back that far.

I was wrong again. Kind of rare to be wrong twice in a row.
(09-15-2016, 04:27 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: I was wrong again. Kind of rare to be wrong twice in a row.

Not when you ignore the first paragraph, though. 
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
(09-15-2016, 04:27 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: I learned today that email was around 45 years ago.

I thought it was a thing made in the 90s. Didn't thing it went back that far.

I was wrong again. Kind of rare to be wrong twice in a row.

Emails like you and I know (and I'm old*) weren't readily accessible to all of us until then, but yeah the technology is older.

* How old?

We had the Apple II E to learn on when I was a freshman in high school.

I owned and worked with a Commodore 64 all through college. (Tape back up, floppy disk and dot matrix printer and all!)  Although there were other, better systems, you had to go to the computer lounge and wait to get in and hope you could figure out how to use the word processing program that was installed on it.  Friends at the time were already using the "internet" but they were a lot smarter than me.

When I started selling computers in my 20's they were all still installing Windows 3.1 on them!

First "new" computer I bought when I got married (1996) had Windows 95 though!  LOL!  What an amazing upgrade!   Smirk   Same year I first got on line.

I'm old.