Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL's Worst Weather Games
Stumbled on this today and loved it.  Everyone likes to debate whether open or closed stadiums are best, and there are good arguments for both sides of that story, but these wild weather games are the ones you remember, especially if you happened to be there in person.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp3ec8YMi0w&ab_channel=NFLThrowback
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I remember that Detroit/Philly game well. I had Stafford and Dalton as my QBs, and I needed a win for my league's playoffs. The Bengals were at home that Sunday, a game I was going to. But, Stafford had been playing well so I ignored the weather forecast for Philly and started him. Think Dalton threw for three TDs and 300+ yards that day, and I believe Stafford gave me five points or something, Still pisses me off :)
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Thanks for this it was really well done. That muddy Vikings/Rams game is one I'd never seen. Funny they got the Ravens game that might haunt us this year on there already.

Was anybody from the board at the AFC championship game vs San Diego?
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2020, 02:57 AM)Bmore Birds Wrote: Thanks for this it was really well done. That muddy Vikings/Rams game is one I'd never seen. Funny they got the Ravens game that might haunt us this year on there already.

That Freezer Bowl game is like Woodstock now. At this point, at least one million people were "at that game". I'm sure some of them were. I was only 6-7 at the time, but remember watching it on TV with my dad... I don't like the Bengals or football in general enough to brave subzero temperatures.

I was at the 2009 wildcard games against the Jets. I don't know how cold it was, but it was cold enough. I remember my beers turnin' to slush as I was drinking them.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2020, 02:57 AM)Bmore Birds Wrote: Thanks for this it was really well done. That muddy Vikings/Rams game is one I'd never seen. Funny they got the Ravens game that might haunt us this year on there already.

My two brothers went. I was like no effing way.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
A friend of mine went with her boyfriend. She said walking to and from was the worst thing. Once they had their seats (in the sun) she said she zipped up into a mummy bag along with her regular winter outfit and it wasn't too bad. Plus, I'm sure she had a few nips during the game.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2020, 11:34 AM)jason Wrote: I was at the 2009 wildcard games against the Jets. I don't know how cold it was, but it was cold enough. I remember my beers turnin' to slush as I was drinking them.

We were there too, me and the future Mrs.  We were in my seats in the upper deck.  A buddy was going but had to cancel at the last minute, so she felt sorry for me and agreed to go to not only her first playoff game but her first ever NFL game.  Froze to death and the game was a disappointing loss.  Throughout the game I kept muttering under my breath "Mark ***** Sanchez."   Took three years to convince her to go to another game.

Not sure about the coldest game I've been to, but I remember the one with the worst field conditions.  It was at the end of the first season at PBS, back when it had a grass field.  We had snow and ice the night before.  I remember leaving my apartment that morning and found my car caked in ice, so a buddy had to drive us.  

The wind was howling as we walked to PBS, and it was bitter cold.  I saw the field and remarked how it had a white tarp on it, and my buddy said "No, that's not a tarp."  The field looked like it had white frosting on it, they had left the damn thing uncovered and it was frozen solid. Jacksonville pitched a fit with the league but the league office said it was good to go.  Peter Warrick ran back a punt for a TD and that night on ESPN Berman compared him to Wayne Gretzky  Wink
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
I was at the Bengals/Bills game in 2004 at PBS and the wind chill was about 0*. I remember how freakishly cold that concrete ground was and there just being no way to warm up (especially when the team is sucking). So I can't even imaging how uncomfortable some of the other colder games must have been.
Reply/Quote
Enjoying the stories. Delivered mail so it takes a lot to get me cold, especially if I'm drinking. The coldest game I went to was my first game and the Colts last game in Baltimore. We played Earl Campbell and the Oilers. Two things I remember are that it was so cold that my Dad put my feet in his coat. I also remember a lady chastising him for bringing me to that game.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2020, 02:57 AM)Bmore Birds Wrote: Thanks for this it was really well done. That muddy Vikings/Rams game is one I'd never seen. Funny they got the Ravens game that might haunt us this year on there already.

Didn't go to the game but i vividly remember walking out the door to our apt, to get in the car and go watch the game at a bar with my Dad and as soon as the air hit me, all the moisture in my nose froze and it caught my breath. 

It took us an hour to get that freaking car started so we missed most of the first half. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote