Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Employee96 needs to step up his game
Arguably the most talented player on defense behind Geno; it's time for Mr.Dunlap to step up his game. He is far too talented to have single digit sacks per season. This guy was a complete monster in limited time his rookie season and shows flashes of brilliance. The problem is that there are games where we don't even notice him. He is a prototypical 4-3 DE. Size, speed, power. I have been his biggest defender but I really hope he steps up and we see an all-pro type season from him. He will hopefully have Atkins in the middle taking care of business so there are no excuses for him this season.
Reply/Quote
I pretty much agree except for the part about games we don't notice him.

But I do agree he's got to have the NFL record for almost sacks though. If he can just find that 1/4 step or second he's been missing he'd be a monster for sure.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
After reading the recent CBS Sports article reiterating what we've heard from those within the organization about Geno's return to form, I'm quite eager to see the domino effect on this defense if this comes to fruition. There is so much talent working back from Dunlap and what we hope is a healthy MJ eventually to Dre, Pac, Nelson & Iloka in the backfield and they would all benefit from a dominant Geno Atkins. Clearly, it would also help the less talented linebacker corp dealing with Burfict's absence.

I'm with you, Blitz. I absolutely love Dunlap and am excited to hopefully see him finally reach that potential over the course of a full season. 
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2015, 12:43 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Arguably the most talented player on defense behind Geno; it's time for Mr.Dunlap to step up his game. He is far too talented to have single digit sacks per season. This guy was a complete monster in limited time his rookie season and shows flashes of brilliance. The problem is that there are games where we don't even notice him. He is a prototypical 4-3 DE. Size, speed, power. I have been his biggest defender but I really hope he steps up and we see an all-pro type season from him. He will hopefully have Atkins in the middle taking care of business so there are no excuses for him this season.

Last year he was the only real threat on the DL, so it was easier for teams to scheme against him. With Geno coming back to form, I'm hoping for a resurgence in his tackles for losses and sacks.

Reply/Quote
Dunlap has been awesome the past two years since he has become a starter.  Would more sacks be awesome yes but I don't think sacks should be the only thing that defines him as a player.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2015, 12:43 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Arguably the most talented player on defense behind Geno; it's time for Mr.Dunlap to step up his game. He is far too talented to have single digit sacks per season. This guy was a complete monster in limited time his rookie season and shows flashes of brilliance. The problem is that there are games where we don't even notice him. He is a prototypical 4-3 DE. Size, speed, power. I have been his biggest defender but I really hope he steps up and we see an all-pro type season from him. He will hopefully have Atkins in the middle taking care of business so there are no excuses for him this season.

I completely agree. I think Dunlap sometimes whiffs and misses a big play, which is unfortunate because he could be a top 5 DE. He has all of the intangibles. I think the games where he disappeared last year had a lot to do with teams taking advantage of the other side of the line.

He SHOULD have 10+ sacks this year, I sure hope so anyways.
Reply/Quote
I think the resurgence of Atkins and the addition of Johnson will really help the front four and especially Dunlap......not to mention the addition of rotational guys like Pat Sims. I was disappointed with the pass rush too, but I don't think it was lack of hustle. I saw Big 'Los chase many a play down from behind.....some of them WAY downfield....you gotta like that.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-14-2015, 06:36 AM)Wyche Wrote: I think the resurgence of Atkins and the addition of Johnson will really help the front four and especially Dunlap......not to mention the addition of rotational guys like Pat Sims.  I was disappointed with the pass rush too, but I don't think it was lack of hustle.  I saw Big 'Los chase many a play down from behind.....some of them WAY downfield....you gotta like that.

Yeah Dunlap's pursuit for his size is a thing of beauty.  The way he can chase down a ball carrier even on a busted play is pretty amazing.  His numbers just don't exemplify his talent.  That's for sure.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2015, 01:44 AM)J24 Wrote: Dunlap has been awesome the past two years since he has become a starter.  Would more sacks be awesome yes but I don't think sacks should be the only thing that defines him as a player.

Dunlap has been good, but I believe the point of this thread is just saying that he should be great.

Carlos Dunlap should be a household name (outside of Cincinnati), and he's not. He's one of the few on this team that I believe can realistically get to that level.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2015, 08:23 AM)djs7685 Wrote: Dunlap has been good, but I believe the point of this thread is just saying that he should be great.

Carlos Dunlap should be a household name (outside of Cincinnati), and he's not. He's one of the few on this team that I believe can realistically get to that level.

Certainly agree and can't argue with that.

You're right. Those flashy stat numbers should get him to that realm outside of Bengaldom.

We as fans of the team have watched more of the nuances of his game.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote

Carlos will be fine. Dude did 99% of the work last year on that defensive line. If anyone else needs to step up its the other 3 guys on that line.
Reply/Quote
At least CB found something else to ***** about.

As others have stated, it's hard to put up gaudy stats by yourself in the NFL. Geno's return should help, as should MJ.

Of course, that's all conjecture - the entire defensive line could fall apart come September.

The worst 4 weeks of the year...
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2015, 10:21 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: The worst 4 weeks of the year...

I wanted to agree with that, but I don't know, hearing about training camp injuries is pretty brutal. At least we got out of the early part of the offseason relatively unscathed.

Preseason is rough though, I definitely wouldn't mind if they shortened it up a bit, even by just a game or two.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2015, 10:29 AM)djs7685 Wrote: I wanted to agree with that, but I don't know, hearing about training camp injuries is pretty brutal. At least we got out of the early part of the offseason relatively unscathed.

Preseason is rough though, I definitely wouldn't mind if they shortened it up a bit, even by just a game or two.

It's the preseason heroes that upset me.

I got excited when Hunt beast mode-d last preseason. I got excited when Sanzenbacher didn't look like an undrafted scrub last preseason. Both panned out about as well as a game of chicken with a freight train.

So now that I'm no longer going to get excited about it, it's really just practice squad players flailing about in irrelevant psuedo-football games. I mean it's a good sign because it means football really is here, but man I want to watch games that matter.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote

I agree with your comments. It is like Dunlap got to a good level and then stopped progressing. He is another who has disappeared in the playoffs versus being a major disruptor.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I keep hoping for the day that we line him up on the blindside on a consistant basis. I've mentioned it before and I will again. When a 'Bama blocker was coming out of college he was asked about Clowney. The guy said he had not competed against that combination of size, speed, and strength since Carlos Dunlap.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
he was # 13 in the league in QB hurries last year so not bad and with geno at full strength that should be better
Reply/Quote

Yeah, he needs to finish off the QB once he gets there.

If he would of done this last year he would of had 15+ sacks.

He is by far out most talented pass rusher and is one of the most disruptive DE's in the league.

With Geno and MJ back it should only help Carlos. I am predicting a monster year for him.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2015, 11:27 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I keep hoping for the day that we line him up on the blindside on a consistant basis. I've mentioned it before and I will again. When a 'Bama blocker was coming out of college he was asked about Clowney. The guy said he had not competed against that combination of size, speed, and strength since Carlos Dunlap.

Eh, some guys are just better and more comfortable on one side of the line; it's a whole new perspective- not to mention motion and some guys can't adapt.

Whenever he has lined up at RE (pretty rare) he hasn't done anything there. He's a LE only, not that there's anything wrong with that. (tee hee Seinfeld reference)
Reply/Quote

I think the problem last year was that he had no help.  Hr missed a few chances last year but who doesn't?  He played his guts out.

This year, if Geno truly is Geno again and having MJ back. 96's game will just naturally stepped up.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote