Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
End the rb trio committee for Mixon
(10-07-2017, 03:10 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Exactly!  Get him in some vertical situations WITH the screens as well.

Don't abandon one for the other...  but at least introduce it into the offense.

There is no reason that Gio couldn't take on a Baby Hawk style role and be effective.

The guy can get nicked up doing a simple hand-off. 

You just can't sit him too much because of injury fears.

Make him a fractional focus of a defense, even if he's just a decoy.

Time and time again you'll hear the analysts say he's the kind of player who can explode.

Hopefully this team realizes that Gio can garner more attention from the opposing D than some of those other WRs not named Green.

Running and vertical threat.

I just wish the O-line was capable enough to let Gio be an outlet receiver in a comeback route or beyond the middle of the LOS.

That's where I think he could create some damage honestly.

I agree with getting Gio the ball in space more. However, Gio is really not much of a between the tackles threat, particularly with this OL.

Look at the Buffalo game where Mixon got the bulk of the carries (15) with just over 3 ypc, Hill had only 4 carries and had 4 ypc. Gio had 2 carries for 2 yards total (1 ypc). We just aren't running it enough and I presume that's because run blocking is weak.

In receiving Gio had 2 receptions for 30 yards. Much better production with the same touches.

Personally I'd like to see him play out in the slot some to pressure Boyd and whoever else we are putting out there. Today was the AJ Green show on the receiving side of the ball 7 catches for 189 and a TD. Boyd 2 catches for 6 yards and LaFell had 5 catches for 32 yards.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2017, 05:29 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I agree with getting Gio the ball in space more. However, Gio is really not much of a between the tackles threat, particularly with this OL.

Look at the Buffalo game where Mixon got the bulk of the carries (15) with just over 3 ypc, Hill had only 4 carries and had 4 ypc. Gio had 2 carries for 2 yards total (1 ypc). We just aren't running it enough and I presume that's because run blocking is weak.

In receiving Gio had 2 receptions for 30 yards. Much better production with the same touches.

Personally I'd like to see him play out in the slot some to pressure Boyd and whoever else we are putting out there. Today was the AJ Green show on the receiving side of the ball 7 catches for 189 and a TD. Boyd 2 catches for 6 yards and LaFell had 5 catches for 32 yards.
Yes playing him there and sometimes motioning him into the slot, or pair with another WR on the edge.

If our O-line can produce enough time he could be valuable in the passing game.

One of the pass plays today was improvised but brought a nice gain.

I still think Gio in the middle of the field past the LOS as an outlet pass could bring great potential too.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
3.4 YPC again today. I am not impressed with Mixon to date, but typical Marvin playing the rookie over the proven vet.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2017, 11:27 AM)bfine32 Wrote: 1)....or it shows he has a propensity to break off a long run more often. Actually pointing to how few runs he has makes less sense as a reason to remove one.

2) The guy has a 4.2 career YPC and had 4.7 I'm the only season he played 16 games, 4.9 is not so hard to imagine and it to "plummet like a rock dropped from the Empire State building" is harder to imagine. 

Folks always hate on the Bengals for not playing the "more talented" rookie. It seems now they may be playing the rookie over the more talented vet. 

1. If you say so. Since the beginning of last year, Hill has 5 carries of over 20 yards (once every 49.4 carries). Bernard has 2 such carries (once every 54.5 carries). Hill's gains were also longer (gains of 74, 50, 40 and a pair that went for 20). Gio has a 25 and a 23 yard run. So maybe we should start Hill? I'm kidding. Personally, I think the story is not the long gains, but those terrible averages in between. 

A good run game isn't about breaking off a decent chunk every 50 carries or so (which is bad, btw). We should be getting consistent little chunks on 1st down that set us up for 3rd and short which is much easier to convert. Too often, our backs are slamming into a line that is consistently fubar with not even the slightest hint of a hole to speak of.

2. The only time Gio averaged 15+ carries for any stretch was the first 8 games of 2014. When he was named the starter going into the season. He averaged 15.8 carries and his YPC was 3.90. If anyone remembers, Gio was viewed as at least a mild disappointment in the starting role. Now that was when the o-line was at least decent. Imagine him starting and getting the bulk of carries behind this line.

Gio looks refreshed this year, and he has the wiggle to make something out of nothing at times. I don't expect that to happen often enough for him to average 4.9 YPC in a starting role behind this line. At some point, this line needs to make holes.

(10-08-2017, 06:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: 3.4 YPC again today. I am not impressed with Mixon to date, but typical Marvin playing the rookie over the proven vet.

Hill and Bernard combined for 3.0 YPC. I'm not sure why you're all by your lonesome acting like the o-line isn't a problem.

How many times do we need to switch talented backs around before we realize that they're not all the problem?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Mixon was probably the only RB on the roster who scores on his TD.
You can't play RB carousel and expect any one RB to really shine.
Pick one (not Hill) and go with them.
Give one guy the lion's share. Run an offense around their skills.
Because if you pick Gio or Mixon the offense can be catered around their receiving ability
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2017, 07:30 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. If you say so. Since the beginning of last year, Hill has 5 carries of over 20 yards (once every 49.4 carries). Bernard has 2 such carries (once every 54.5 carries). Hill's gains were also longer (gains of 74, 50, 40 and a pair that went for 20). Gio has a 25 and a 23 yard run. So maybe we should start Hill? I'm kidding. Personally, I think the story is not the long gains, but those terrible averages in between. 

A good run game isn't about breaking off a decent chunk every 50 carries or so (which is bad, btw). We should be getting consistent little chunks on 1st down that set us up for 3rd and short which is much easier to convert. Too often, our backs are slamming into a line that is consistently fubar with not even the slightest hint of a hole to speak of.

2. The only time Gio averaged 15+ carries for any stretch was the first 8 games of 2014. When he was named the starter going into the season. He averaged 15.8 carries and his YPC was 3.90. If anyone remembers, Gio was viewed as at least a mild disappointment in the starting role. Now that was when the o-line was at least decent. Imagine him starting and getting the bulk of carries behind this line.

Gio looks refreshed this year, and he has the wiggle to make something out of nothing at times. I don't expect that to happen often enough for him to average 4.9 YPC in a starting role behind this line. At some point, this line needs to make holes.

Hill and Bernard combined for 3.0 YPC. I'm not sure why you're all by your lonesome acting like the o-line isn't a problem. 

How many times do we need to switch talented backs around before we realize that they're not all the problem?

Can't admit the O-line is a problem without the AD is our downfall narrative falling apart.  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2017, 02:47 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I wasn't the biggest fan of the Mixon selection in the draft.
I have been a Gio advocate for years to get more playing time.
I thought Hill should have been let go after he fumbled away the win against Pitt in the playoff game.

Going into week three with a 0-2 start, I am now in the opinion that it is time to start Mixon and give him the bulk of the carries making him the new workhorse. Let him have 20-30 carries, bring Gio in on 3rd and longs, then maybe use Hill if there is a short yardage situation.

A running back needs consistent touches to get a feel for the guys up front blocking for them. And though I was hesitant to want Mixon to start early on the year due to his inexperience, I'm not anymore. Let the kid play and see what he has. And using Gio more sparingly with fresher legs will maximize his runs as well.

It should be Mixon and Gio a lot.

Trade Hill if you can get anything for the dude and if you can't, use him on Goal line situations.

The O-line is the problem, not the RB's.

Mixon would be the best rookie RB in the league this year with a good O-line and the ones who know RB's know this.

I love Fournette, Dalvin, and Kareem but Mixon has everything these guys have.
Reply/Quote
Mixon is a rookie if he has to carry the load alone his legs will feel it when we get to the limit a college team plays. If we can spread the carries out some he will be fresher near the end of the year if we are good enough to make the playoffs. After we pass that 12 game level he will be wearing down running out of gas maybe. He does run strong I see him carry guys on his back while still picking up yardage. I would like to see him running strong like that at the end of the year. The O line is coming around on the pass protection some lets hope as the season progresses we start blocking the running game better. I am ok with a Hill trade we can bring Jarveon Williams off the practice squad which I think is Gio 2.0 between Mixon, Gio and Jarveon we could have a blazing fast backfield.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2017, 07:30 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. If you say so. Since the beginning of last year, Hill has 5 carries of over 20 yards (once every 49.4 carries). Bernard has 2 such carries (once every 54.5 carries). Hill's gains were also longer (gains of 74, 50, 40 and a pair that went for 20). Gio has a 25 and a 23 yard run. So maybe we should start Hill? I'm kidding. Personally, I think the story is not the long gains, but those terrible averages in between. 

Agreed.

This is one of those stats don't tell the whole story situations. No one can pretend Mixon isn't having to break alot of tackles 2 yards in the backfield quite often.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2017, 06:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: 3.4 YPC again today. I am not impressed with Mixon to date, but typical Marvin playing the rookie over the proven vet.

People always talk about Hill's rookie year and how they wish he'd get back to that. Not sure off the top of my head if you're in that crowd or not. 

After 5 games, he had 155 yards rushing. Didn't break the century mark until the 8th game. 

Best i can figure, either you can't see the talent he's flashed and how it's better than both Hill and Gio, or you just like to argue for argument's sake. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I say you give Mixon the bulk of the carries, and mix in Gio as appropriate.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote