Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
English Premier League
I had a retinal detachment in 2012. Was laid up for about 10 days while healing. Never really cared for soccer before, but came across televised Premier League games. Decided to watch since soccer claimed to be the world's favorite sport and see what all the fuss was about. At first I didn't get the appeal. But as I watched more, and began to understand the strategy, it became more interesting. I now really enjoy watching the EPL games every weekend. Although I don't feel the same way about MLS. I don't find those games interesting. They don't seem to be nearly as good. I have become an Arsenal fan, and am even going to tour Emirates Stadium when I go to London this July.

So what other EPL fans do we have out there, and which team do you like?
Reply/Quote
Been a big Gunner’s fan since the days of Bergkamp, Henry, Vieira, and Pires.

MLS is garbage, they just play kick ball. I remember watching an over the hill Beckham playing in the MLS and you could just see everyone else pale in comparison.

Also do yourself a favor; if you are not already into the international games, get into them.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Arsenal 4-0 Aston Villa. Gunners raise a 12th FA Cup, and Wenger's record tying 6th. Congrats on a great turnaround season.
Reply/Quote
Let me tell you right now, as an avid football (soccer) fan if you want excitement then it is the English championship you want to watch. This is the division below the Premier league. Much more drama with the promotion battle added in, then with the play offs come the end of the season. The play offs are contested between four teams, they play semi-finals before two make it to the play off final at wembley. The championship play off final is known as footballs richest prize (as the victor this year won £140 million).

My team is Huddersfield Town, may be a long time until you see that name in the Premier League...
[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
(05-31-2015, 11:09 AM)YorkshireBengal Wrote: Let me tell you right now, as an avid football (soccer) fan if you want excitement then it is the English championship you want to watch. This is the division below the Premier league. Much more drama with the promotion battle added in, then with the play offs come the end of the season. The play offs are contested between four teams, they play semi-finals before two make it to the play off final at wembley. The championship play off final is known as footballs richest prize (as the victor this year won £140 million).

My team is Huddersfield Town, may be a long time until you see that name in the Premier League...

I know Norwich City won the playoff and the Canaries are back in the EPL next season. The top 2 Championship teams get promoted, and the next 4 have a playoff to see who the third promoted team is, correct? Who was the other promoted team besides Bournemouth and Norwich?
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2015, 07:59 PM)Beaker Wrote: I know Norwich City won the playoff and the Canaries are back in the EPL next season. The top 2 Championship teams get promoted, and the next 4 have a playoff to see who the third promoted team is, correct? Who was the other promoted team besides Bournemouth and Norwich?

Yes this is correct. Watford (Supported by Elton John) were the other promoted team. 

Quite incredible really that Bournemouth will be in the premier league, a few years ago they started in the fourth tier with a 17 point deduction due to entering administration. They've dropped on a young talented manager in Eddie Howe and have had this dramatic rise to the premier league. 

See for me the thing that makes football so special, in England particularly, is the promotion and relegation element. There is nothing that can quite match it for me, where so much can be at stake for the club on the basis of one game.

Reply/Quote
Sorry if I keep calling it football, I of course mean soccer Rolleyes

Reply/Quote
(06-01-2015, 08:02 AM)YorkshireBengal Wrote: Sorry if I keep calling it football, I of course mean soccer Rolleyes

Good thing you set all of us yanks straight, as we had no idea what you meant, in a thread about the PL. 
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 05:40 PM)Westwood Bengal Wrote: Good thing you set all of us yanks straight, as we had no idea what you meant, in a thread about the PL. 

Didn't mean to cause offence, I was just clearing it up that's all....

Reply/Quote
Given the premier league season is over and I didn't think it would be worthy of it's own thread, I was wondering if anyone on here would be watching the Champions League final? Juventus vs Barcelona, should be an interesting one

Reply/Quote
Arsenal sign Petr Cech. Awesome signing....go Gunners!
Reply/Quote
Season kicks off with the Community Shield game this Sunday. Arsenal (FA Cup winner) vs Chelsea (EPL winner).
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 07:14 PM)Beaker Wrote: Season kicks off with the Community Shield game this Sunday. Arsenal (FA Cup winner) vs Chelsea (EPL winner).

Go Blue!
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2015, 12:33 PM)nevergonnachange Wrote: Go Blue!

Petr Cech keeps a clean sheet. Gunners win by 2-0.
Reply/Quote
Almost time for my MU avatar!

I've been into the BPL for about 3 years now, and I try to catch all Barca & Madrid games too. What is funny is I was always a "traditional american sports fan", ie football, baseball & basketball. (sorry hockey is Canadian). But nowadays Euro soccer has become my 2nd favorite sport to follow, with Manchester United as the team i follow. They are owned by Americans actually and have a New York Yankee like history about them for the last 20-some years when they were under Sir Alex.

But I do suggest all NFL & College football fans get into the Premier League. Most weekends coming up makes for great t.v. days : wake-up both Sat & Sun to watching BPL up until noonish or 1. Then flip it over to pre-game shows, then our football the rest of day. The timing is just perfect since they are 5 hours ahead of us est.

That said, I have to admit FIFA on the xbox helped a lot in getting me into it all. It makes it much easier to understand the ebb & flow of the game, terms used like pitch which is field to us, and names of players. It also is a better video game in general than Madden though Madden is getting closer to it. FIFA is after-all the flagship sports game of EA, as it is huge in Europe and the Americas and rest of the world.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(07-31-2015, 11:11 PM)Beaker Wrote: Petr Cech keeps a clean sheet. Gunners win by 2-0.

Very Close

nevergonnachange Wrote:Go Blue!

Go you Gunners!

Reply/Quote
Gunners win 1-0. Cech does keep a clean sheet. Wenger gets the Mourinho monkey off his back. Arsenal now takes another step forward. Last season they proved they could beat the big boys and win at Wembley. As long as they don't start slow again this season, they should challenge for the EPL title.
Reply/Quote
New EPL season begins this weekend.

To soccer haters:

I was you. Played football, hockey and lacrosse in high school, and college lacrosse. Always considered soccer a pansy sport. Decided to watch soccer when I was laid up after eye surgery a few years back when I came across EPL games on Fox Sports 1. Since I always heard it was the world's #1 sport, I decided to see if I could be swayed to what the fuss was all about. Didn't understand it, or even like the first few games. But as I began to gain knowledge of the strategy and subtleties, I began to get into it.

The English Premier League is known as the most physical of all the European Leagues. One of my major peeves was players falling to the ground after minimal contact, and rolling around like they had been shot. I learned that diving was not appreciated, and that the EPL even had taken steps to curb it. The refs now hand out yellow cards for obvious dives. The problem isn't solved, but is less prevalent. I also learned that drawing a foul was part of the strategy and gamesmanship. It can break up the flow of play, or get a team a set piece in a favorable spot. Although I still don't like how dramatic some players are about it.

All that said, I encourage folks to take a peek and give it a chance. Watch several weeks of games (the games are on Sat and Sun early), not just one, and see if you can't begin to appreciate it. Also, don't fall for teams like Manchester United and Chelsea....they are good because have huge followings, generate lots of revenue, and try to buy championships with that money. They remind me of teams like the Yankees and Cowboys.
Reply/Quote
Where is Tottenheim Hotspur? MU won! Rooney had an easy goal but the Tottenheim player kicked it for him. http://www.nbcsports.com/soccer/premier-league/kyle-walkers-own-goal-gives-manchester-united-1-0-lead
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(06-30-2015, 12:00 AM)Beaker Wrote: Arsenal sign Petr Cech. Awesome signing....go Gunners!

Not a great EPL start.

Reply/Quote