Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enquirer End of Year awards
Hey all - here are our end of season awards for the 2016 Bengals:

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/01/09/cincinnati-bengals-2017-postseason-awards/96354576/

Definitely get at me with anything/anyone you agree on, disagree on, questions, etc. I might not be able to engage tonight as much as I'd like, but I'll definitely be checking in over the next few days on this thread and answer/debate as best I can.

Thanks again for reading,
Jim
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
I have to pretty much agree with most if not all of it. Good stuff as always. And while I agree that DreK was most improved from last year to this year, I would add that the most improved player as the season went on was Erickson on returns.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'll have to wait and see what they were. Evidently, I've exhausted all of my free views of Cincinnati.com, and I'm not feeling like a subscriber today...

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 09:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'll have to wait and see what they were.  Evidently, I've exhausted all of my free views of Cincinnati.com, and I'm not feeling like a subscriber today...

MVP
A.J. Green

Offensive player of the year
Andy Dalton

Coach of the year
WRs coach James Urban

Most Pleasant Surprise
Rex Burkhead

Rookie of the year
Tyler Boyd

Most Improved
Dre Kirkpatrick

Most disappointing
Cedric Ogbuehi

Best Celebration
Geno Atkins' touch of Dolphins’ QB Ryan Tannehill

Funniest Moment
Adam Jones uses a trash can as a postgame prop

Most Influential Moment
A.J. Green tears his hamstring against Buffalo

Most Important Play of the Year
The sack-fumble against Baltimore

Coolest Play of the Year
A.J. Green’s Hail Mary catch against the Browns

Defensive Player of the Year
Vontaze Burfict 

Comeback Player of the Year
Brandon LaFell

Most Exhausting Storyline of the Year
Mike Nugent’s job status

Most Powerful Storyline of the Year
The Bengals’ close game/fourth-quarter woes

Most Underrated Player
Kevin Zeitler

Most Fun Player to Watch
A.J. Green

Best Game
Washington

Quote of the Year

Paul Alexander on benching of Cedric Ogbuehi: “Oh, I don’t care. I mean, I didn’t really give him a box of Kleenex when I told him. It’s a big game for men and get over it, really.”

NOW SUBSCRIBE SO YOU CAN READ JIM's COMMENTS
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 08:50 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Hey all - here are our end of season awards for the 2016 Bengals:

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/01/09/cincinnati-bengals-2017-postseason-awards/96354576/

Definitely get at me with anything/anyone you agree on, disagree on, questions, etc. I might not be able to engage tonight as much as I'd like, but I'll definitely be checking in over the next few days on this thread and answer/debate as best I can.

Thanks again for reading,
Jim

MOST DISAPPOINTING- Don't agree with a young exterior Olineman starting for the first time as most disappointing; as they are known to struggle. I would look to Eifert, Hill, or Iloka for that

MVP- Can't give it to a guy that missed as much time as AJ. Would give it to Whit

MOST IMPROVED- I'd have to give Bodine at least Honorable Mention

BEST GAME- I'd have to go with the season finale. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Dre k? His immaturity kind of takes him out of the race imo. Yes he has improved, yet I think you should consider at what crucial times in games he did with his penalties and what it cost us. He was laughing on the sidelines during the stooler game after a penalty that cost us a chance at making a comeback? I think some, if not many would disagree with you on this pick.

I don't care for the Adam Jones trash can stunt. If his humor is better then his play? He might be on the wrong stage.

I wouldn't encourage either player I've mentioned with any type of recognition. However, the rest looks good.

Reply/Quote
The only award that should be given out is to the fans for sticking by this nightmare for so long.

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 01:21 AM)Atomic Orange Wrote: The only award that should be given out is to the fans for sticking by this nightmare for so long.

Smirk Smirk Smirk
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
Pretty good take on things. Agree that Oggieboggie boy is the biggest disappointment. Handed the starting job and cost us dearly until he departed onto IR. He's not even a good backup at this point and for a 1st round pick that has to hurt.

Not sure Dalton is underrated enough to receive honorable mention in the category, but as I look over the roster there aren't that many prospects for the category. Maybe LaFell, but you gave him comeback player. I found a lot more players who would compete for the most overrated player category, sadly.

Reply/Quote
Great picks. The only one's I'd change would be the Jets game on 9/11 being the best game. Andy and AJ overcoming a 7 sack game to pull out the W was one for the ages.

I'd also give Burfict the honorable mention for most fun to watch after AJ. Guy is a blast to watch when he's on his game. 

Reply/Quote
Agree mostly,

But I'd take Adam Jones off the list and find something else. I hope his time in stripes is done. He's more a part of the problem than he is the solution.

And I'd change the most powerful story line of the year to: How and why has the Bengals O-line stunk it up so bad. And more importantly how are they gonna fix it ?
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 09:08 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree mostly,

But I'd take Adam Jones off the list and find something else. I hope his time in stripes is done. He's more a part of the problem than he is the solution.

And I'd change the most powerful story line of the year to: How and why has the Bengals O-line stunk it up so bad. And more importantly how are they gonna fix it ?
How are they gonna fix it? They gotta play better man... You've heard coach.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 10:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: MVP------Agree
A.J. Green

Offensive player of the year-----Agree
Andy Dalton

Coach of the year----I'd say so.
WRs coach James Urban

Most Pleasant Surprise----Absolutley
Rex Burkhead

Rookie of the year----Yes
Tyler Boyd

Most Improved----Tough call....but no one else really improved much
Dre Kirkpatrick

Most disappointing----Yeah, he sucked SO bad, it's a no brainer
Cedric Ogbuehi

Best Celebration----Not much to celebrate this year, so yeah
Geno Atkins' touch of Dolphins’ QB Ryan Tannehill

Funniest Moment----That was pretty funny, from an unfunny guy
Adam Jones uses a trash can as a postgame prop

Most Influential Moment----Nope, the decisions to roll with Nuge and Ogbuehi deep sixed the season
A.J. Green tears his hamstring against Buffalo

Most Important Play of the Year----There are a few, mostly missed kicks
The sack-fumble against Baltimore

Coolest Play of the Year----Yes
A.J. Green’s Hail Mary catch against the Browns

Defensive Player of the Year----Yup
Vontaze Burfict 

Comeback Player of the Year----Yup
Brandon LaFell

Most Exhausting Storyline of the Year----Tie for this, and why is Piano Man still employed?
Mike Nugent’s job status

Most Powerful Storyline of the Year----Horrendous oline play
The Bengals’ close game/fourth-quarter woes

Most Underrated Player----Toss up between he and Dalton
Kevin Zeitler

Most Fun Player to Watch----Always
A.J. Green

Best Game----NYJ...watching Dalton and AJ beast, despite pathetic play up front
Washington

Quote of the Year----Tough talk from a guy that tabbed him the starter, stuck with him way too long, and continues to pimp Bodine.  Quote of the year?  "Garbage!"

Paul Alexander on benching of Cedric Ogbuehi: “Oh, I don’t care. I mean, I didn’t really give him a box of Kleenex when I told him. It’s a big game for men and get over it, really.”

NOW SUBSCRIBE SO YOU CAN READ JIM's COMMENTS

Answers in orange. Smirk

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 10:53 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I don't care for the Adam Jones trash can stunt. If his humor is better then his play? He might be on the wrong stage.

TP had his 2 worst games against Pacman. Not really happy with Jones right now, but he did back up his talk against TP.

Have to disagree with bfine. "Rookie" or not, Ogaboo was easily the biggest disappointment of 2016. It's typical for young tackles to struggle. It's not typical for them to be the worst rated tackle in football, give up the most sacks and pressures, get put into a rotation because he's so bad, then get fully benched, then give up 2 more sacks at his "natural" position before mercifully going to IR. Og wasn't just disappointing, he was a nightmare that almost single handedly sank the season.

I agree with AJ for MVP. He was on pace for 1700+ yards when he went down, and just looked like he'd reached a new level this year. That said, I don't see why anyone would feel like Dalton didn't deserve OPOY or honorable mention for MVP. Without Andy's steady hand, this season would've easily been worse than 6-9-1. Over the last 6 games (with no AJ or Gio, partially with no Eifert, and with Hill averaging around 2.5 YPC), Dalton led the team to a 3-3 finish with a 92.9 passer rating.

His supporting cast over that stretch was one of the worst in football, yet there was no drop off. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts:

@sunsetorange: "I'll have to wait and see what they were. Evidently, I've exhausted all of my free views of Cincinnati.com, and I'm not feeling like a subscriber today..."

C’mon man!

@bfine32 
We debated Russ as most improved actually. We went with Ced because of the draft status, being handed the starting right tackle spot and then the issues that created a domino effect on that offense all year long. But fair take.

@HarleyDog
From one year to another, Dre probably had the best leap. Not saying he was great, but he was better than a year ago.

& @bengalfan74 Fair on Jones. In a 5-9-1 season, not too many moments that would work as “funny.”

@NicomoCosca
It was a close call between London and 9/11.

@bengalfan74 & @Wyche’sWarrior
re: Powerful storyline not being the o-line/kicker. For all those issues, they had chances to win six of those losses despite it. Now, we can argue that they didn’t win those games because of the o-line play (see Bmore strip-sack) but one more score changes those games.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote