Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enquirer's Bengals 50 most influential people series
Hey everyone!
Thanks to everyone who interacts with me here and for Bengalholic for creating this forum.

We're starting our special summer project, which are the 50th most influential people in franchise history.

Key word: Influential.

This franchise doesn't have six rings. There is good, though. There is bad. And there is some ugly. This project will span the next five weeks and encompass all sorts of media -- written word, special videos and of course our Bengals Beat Podcast Series.

A look-ahead for just you all: This week is about the "outsiders" who shaped this organization. Next week are "organizational" members, and then we hit top offensive and defensive players down the line.

Remember - this isn't the best. It's the people we felt had a great impact on the franchise and even the league.

We will roll out a reader/fan vote for you guys to rank the 50 down the line.

I won't make individual posts for every 50 -- only perhaps the most interesting ones that should generate conversation, but I'll reply to this with the others.

Thanks again everyone!
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
Well, we're not having this conversation if there is no team. And for that, we have to back to Ohio Governor Jim Rhodes and his role in helping Paul Brown get a professional team.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/06/26/cincinnati-bengals-50-ohio-governor-jim-rhodes/366591001/
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
And it wasn't just the state that had to get behind it - you needed the city. And that's where then-vice mayor Gene Ruehlmann comes in.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/06/26/cincinnati-bengals-50-mayor-gene-ruehlmann/366601001/
Reply/Quote
If memory serves, John Sawyer was the first investor Paul went to to get this franchise going. I believe mr. Sawyer at some point served as president or vp. He was a very honorable man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
@BenZoo2 - I've only heard good things. I actually, coincidentally, ran into an extended family member of his at one point. It sounded that way from all I've heard. Appreciate the note!
Reply/Quote