Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Equality Act and related conservative outrage over treating LGBT folk as humans
Democrats have reintroduced the equality act, which includes protections for gender identity.

Rep. Marie Newman spoke on the floor about her trans daughter. Marjorie Taylor Greene, whose office is across from Newman's, made some comments against it and retweeted to Newman referring to her daughter as her "biological son" who "doesn't belong" with women. Newman hung a trans pride flag outside her office so that Taylor Greene could see it.

Taylor Greene then responded by hanging a sign that says "There are 2 genders. Male and Female. Trust the science"

Obviously this is incorrect, the science is far from being on her side, but we can expect 2 years of this.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 12:27 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Democrats have reintroduced the equality act, which includes protections for gender identity.

Rep. Marie Newman spoke on the floor about her trans daughter. Marjorie Taylor Greene, whose office is across from Newman's, made some comments against it and retweeted to Newman referring to her daughter as her "biological son" who "doesn't belong" with women. Newman hung a trans pride flag outside her office so that Taylor Greene could see it.

Taylor Greene then responded by hanging a sign that says "There are 2 genders. Male and Female. Trust the science"

Obviously this is incorrect, the science is far from being on her side, but we can expect 2 years of this.

There are more than 2 genders?   Shocked
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 12:35 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: There are more than 2 genders?   Shocked

Yes. Gender is a social construct and is far from being binary in many cultures. Even with regards to sex, which is biological, it's not binary. 

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/voices/stop-using-phony-science-to-justify-transphobia/

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 12:35 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: There are more than 2 genders?   Shocked

Wait until you learn that biological sex is also a spectrum.

[Image: 803b115bd65c88c7f8439e1196674549.gif]
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 12:37 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Yes. Gender is a social construct and is far from being binary in many cultures. Even with regards to sex, which is biological, it's not binary. 

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/voices/stop-using-phony-science-to-justify-transphobia/

(02-25-2021, 12:41 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Wait until you learn that biological sex is also a spectrum.

Ehh, technically but not really.  Sure there are XXY, XYY and XXX people in existence, but there are really only two sexes.  I think this is an area in which the left kind of steps in their trust the science stance.

BTW, I always love seeing that gif.

As for the thread topic, that kind of stuff is obnoxious.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 01:17 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Ehh, technically but not really.  Sure there are XXY, XYY and XXX people in existence, but there are really only two sexes.  I think this is an area in which the left kind of steps in their trust the science stance.

BTW, I always love seeing that gif.

As for the thread topic, that kind of stuff is obnoxious.

Are you saying we shouldn't trust the science on this, because the idea of sex as more than just a binary has been the direction of scientific findings for several years, now.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 01:36 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Are you saying we shouldn't trust the science on this, because the idea of sex as more than just a binary has been the direction of scientific findings for several years, now.

You'll have to point me in that direction then, because last I looked there is only XX and XY in over 99% of people.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 01:38 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You'll have to point me in that direction then, because last I looked there is only XX and XY in over 99% of people.

https://www.nature.com/news/sex-redefined-1.16943

There are others out there, but that's a good starting point and shows this isn't just a recent thing.

Reply/Quote
Last I checked you are born with a penis or a vagina. Male/female. Rare cases are hermaphrodites, at which point the sex is almost always chosen by parents while still a baby.

With that said, I support someone's right to pretend to be whatever they want.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 01:52 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Last I checked you are born with a penis or a vagina.  Male/female.  Rare cases are hermaphrodites, at which point the sex is almost always chosen by parents while still a baby.

With that said, I support someone's right to pretend to be whatever they want.

you're confusing sex with gender. 

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 01:42 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: https://www.nature.com/news/sex-redefined-1.16943

There are others out there, but that's a good starting point and shows this isn't just a recent thing.

Thank you for the read.  Your source states that such DSD's occur in only 1 in 4,500 people, which is obviously rare and in varying degrees.  While I get the point being made these are fine distinctions.  I don't see this "spectrum" changing the fact that you can reproduce via either ovum or sperm. which is the entire purpose of biological sex.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 01:38 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You'll have to point me in that direction then, because last I looked there is only XX and XY in over 99% of people.

(02-25-2021, 01:42 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: https://www.nature.com/news/sex-redefined-1.16943

The article I posted from a neuroscientist hits on this too, but this is also the first tweet in response to MTG:

Dr. Turban has a pretty respectable amount of peer reviewed studies on this topic under his belt. 

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 02:02 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Thank you for the read.  Your source states that such DSD's occur in only 1 in 4,500 people, which is obviously rare and in varying degrees.  While I get the point being made these are fine distinctions.  I don't see this "spectrum" changing the fact that you can reproduce via either ovum or sperm. which is the entire purpose of biological sex.

Well, the 1 in 4500 is based on the narrowly defined terms for DSDs, which this article is discussing how they may be too narrow. If the definitions are broadened the way these biologists are advocating for, then it becomes 1 in 100. In addition, there are quite a few people with DSDs that are unable to reproduce at all because of these variations, which blurs those lines.

Edit: Found this paper that was about updating the DSD standards. In the Incidence section, they mention that when all of these abnormalities are combined it could be a ratio as high as 1:200 or 1:300. Lower than the 1:100 in the Nature article, but still a significant number. Also, this link should work. I found an academic article pirating site because I am a nerd and wanted to share this type of stuff with all of you.

https://sci-hub.se/https://doi.org/10.1159/000442975

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 01:58 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: you're confusing sex with gender. 

Can you please help me understand the difference?
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 02:07 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Can you please help me understand the difference?

Sex is the classification of people as male or female based on biological characteristics.

Gender refers to the socially constructed characteristics of what it means to be a woman or man, such as norms, roles, and relationships of and between groups of women and men. 

Some people prescribe to the idea of biological determinism, or the principle that behavioral differences are the result of inherited physical characteristics. There is not a lot of science backing that up, though, as no significant behavior differences have been causally linked to any biological differences. Researchers have found that any behavioral tendencies between sexes are weak and are easily overridden by cultural and social influences. This was the basis of Margaret Mead's 1950 study on the wide variation of gender roles of the different cultures in New Guinea. 

Reply/Quote
[Image: Genderbread-Person-v4.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 12:27 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Democrats have reintroduced the equality act, which includes protections for gender identity.

Remember when conservatives held hearings about social media being biased against them? (They did correct it though.)

[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 02:28 PM)GMDino Wrote: Remember when conservatives held hearings about social media being biased against them?

Facebook quickly put it back up after she tweeted. Those algorithms suck sometimes, but it's a consequence of not being able to have people review all the shit that gets posted. 

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 02:30 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Facebook quickly put it back up after she tweeted. Those algorithms suck sometimes, but it's a consequence of not being able to have people review all the shit that gets posted. 

I was editing that when you responded.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2021, 12:41 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Wait until you learn that biological sex is also a spectrum.

I'm gonna stick with penis/vagina = male/female.   lol.
Reply/Quote