Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Equilibrium
I'm confused by the naysayers thus far during the offseason. It's been a great free agency period. We've retained Hill and got Apple on a cheap deal. We didn't overpay CJ and replaced him with a team friendly deal by signing Hurst. The two FA signings for the OL are huge (I'll feel better when Cappa is signed, sealed, and delivered). Tonight, we have a chance at Collins. I'm enjoying this and excited.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 10:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bills are outside the division.

Learn something about the NFL

Most likely why dude said AFC instead of AFC North. 

There are AFC teams that have went all in (Denver, Chargers come to mind)
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 10:04 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: The bills are very good team and probably the best team in the AFC

The CINCINNATI BENGALS are the best team in the AFC. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 10:08 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The CINCINNATI BENGALS are the best team in the AFC. 

SCOREBOARD
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 10:08 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The CINCINNATI BENGALS are the best team in the AFC. 
I'm trying to be objective here man. Don't get me running through walls
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 10:05 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'm confused by the naysayers thus far during the offseason. It's been a great free agency period. We've retained Hill and got Apple on a cheap deal. We didn't overpay CJ and replaced him with a team friendly deal by signing Hurst. The two FA signings for the OL are huge (I'll feel better when Cappa is signed, sealed, and delivered). Tonight, we have a chance at Collins. I'm enjoying this and excited.

There’s only a few teams that have really improved themselves that are relevant. KC is about the same as their secondary may suffer. GB is weaker w/o Adams. Tampa isn’t stronger that’s for sure. Dallas is worse. Buffalo minimally better. Denver is and the Raiders and the Chargers. But if the Bengals get Collins they’ve improved as much as anybody because they’ve not lost but one starter and the replacement is equal.

And the intangibles? Burrow’s gaining experience, his momentum in continuity with the receivers and the offense and Zac/Brian, the defense’s continuity and second year together, and finally the continuity and learning curve of Zac and the staff.

And this and I’ve been preaching this non stop. With a run game this offense will hit another gear(s).
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 10:05 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'm confused by the naysayers thus far during the offseason. It's been a great free agency period. We've retained Hill and got Apple on a cheap deal. We didn't overpay CJ and replaced him with a team friendly deal by signing Hurst. The two FA signings for the OL are huge (I'll feel better when Cappa is signed, sealed, and delivered). Tonight, we have a chance at Collins. I'm enjoying this and excited.

Maybe it's because I have been doing auction drafts in a 14 team fantasy league for over a decade, but I feel the same way. Got to find the bargains and acquire players that actually help your roster and are dependable. Buying splash players normally only makes sense if you want to pay for a foundational player on the roster. Those type of "splash" contracts should only go to players already on the roster, unless the organization believes they are a legit "one player away", then overspend to get your guy in FA or go make the trade.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 09:14 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Reiff as back up swing T is my dream. With a Collins starting.

Yes! A “6th man” off the bench like basketball. Hell, even a Duane brown who could be ring chasing at this point. But having a versatile G/C (karras) and an insurance T could be the missing link. I don’t think it’s imperative however, as the bengals do have some younger guys who, with another offseason, could fill that role (for a few games).
Reply/Quote
Mr Toast..Toast is really nothing but overcooked sliced bread..That out of the way..Bates didn't re-sign..He got franchise tagged ...
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 07:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think we are finished in free agency, but at this point we have at least reached "equilibrium".

We had 2 starting O-linemen who were free agents (Spain, Reiff) and we signed 2 starting O-linemen (Cappa, Karras).

We had a starting TE who was a free agent (Uzomah) and we signed a starting TE (Hurst)

We had a starting DT who was a free agent (Ogunjobi) and we signed a starting DT (Hill)

We had 2 starting DBs who were free agents (Bates, Apple) and we re-signed both of them.

It is hard to see how the O-line will shake out right now, but based just on overall "talent level" I think we have clearly improved and gotten MUCH younger.  

All the other moves were at least break even.

So overall we have improved.  

And anything we do going forward will not just be "treading water" or replacing missing players.  Instead they will be clear upgrades.

There was a lot of talk last year (not saying this is what you are saying) about they lost Lawson, but added Hendrickson, and most considered that a wash at best.  Ditto losing WJIII and gaining Chido (actually many said less than a wash, but ended up being a massive steal).  Ditto Mackenzie Alexander for Mike Hilton.  

The Bengals also had massive question marks coming off significant injuries with Burrow, CJ, and Hopkins.

This year, the team is coming in MUCH healthier (my God...what is a year THREE with Burrow at one place???) and they have added talent where they were at their weakest.  Jonah played almost the entire season and was very effective as well.

Perhaps the BIGGEST step up from a year ago has been the play of the LBs.  Even the depth guys like Bailey and Bachie showed they were capable players.  Wilson and Pratt had their best seasons yet, and the defense REALLY gelled by the end of the year.  

Many teams are adding players, but what isn't often mentioned is the talent they lost.  The Bengals have lost CJ and Ogunjobi from a year ago.  Unless I am forgetting someone else, that is it.  Oh, Riley Reiff....but the core is still there.

I think they are a Collins and another FA CB away from being their best, deepest roster ever.  The draft will be CRAZY EXCITING with so few holes to fill and they can go after a pass rusher early from either the DT or DE position as that position has some real talent this year.

I wonder if the structure of Danielle Hunter's contract makes it doable for the Bengals.  They could offer a 3rd round pick and the Vikes need a ton of cap space.  He is crazy expensive this year (if I am reading it correctly), Like $26 million, but only costs $5 million next year and his cap hit is also only $5 million next year.  That is basically $31 million for two years then he is an UFA, which could reward the Bengals a compensatory pick.  I love the depth and rotation he could offer at DE.  
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 11:49 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: There was a lot of talk last year (not saying this is what you are saying) about they lost Lawson, but added Hendrickson, and most considered that a wash at best.  Ditto losing WJIII and gaining Chido (actually many said less than a wash, but ended up being a massive steal).  Ditto Mackenzie Alexander for Mike Hilton.  

The Bengals also had massive question marks coming off significant injuries with Burrow, CJ, and Hopkins.

This year, the team is coming in MUCH healthier (my God...what is a year THREE with Burrow at one place???) and they have added talent where they were at their weakest.  Jonah played almost the entire season and was very effective as well.

Perhaps the BIGGEST step up from a year ago has been the play of the LBs.  Even the depth guys like Bailey and Bachie showed they were capable players.  Wilson and Pratt had their best seasons yet, and the defense REALLY gelled by the end of the year.  

Many teams are adding players, but what isn't often mentioned is the talent they lost.  The Bengals have lost CJ and Ogunjobi from a year ago.  Unless I am forgetting someone else, that is it.  Oh, Riley Reiff....but the core is still there.

I think they are a Collins and another FA CB away from being their best, deepest roster ever.  The draft will be CRAZY EXCITING with so few holes to fill and they can go after a pass rusher early from either the DT or DE position as that position has some real talent this year.

I wonder if the structure of Danielle Hunter's contract makes it doable for the Bengals.  They could offer a 3rd round pick and the Vikes need a ton of cap space.  He is crazy expensive this year (if I am reading it correctly), Like $26 million, but only costs $5 million next year and his cap hit is also only $5 million next year.  That is basically $31 million for two years then he is an UFA, which could reward the Bengals a compensatory pick.  I love the depth and rotation he could offer at DE.  

If they get Collins it will be a huge free agency success story. I really don’t think the board in general realizes that being able to convert 3 and short or 4th and short will do much less a running game to combat the drop 8 teams will do this year. This offense will hit another gear. Heck just another year in the offense and continuity with Chase,Tee,and Boyd will pay huge dividends. The defense returning all its starters? Guys the continuity and so many returning starters is a huge deal plus getting Ossai back.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 12:02 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: If they get Collins it will be a huge free agency success story. I really don’t think the board in general realizes that being able to convert 3 and short or 4th and short will do much less a running game to combat the drop 8 teams will do this year. This offense will hit another gear. Heck just another year in the offense and continuity with Chase,Tee,and Boyd will pay huge dividends. The defense returning all its starters? Guys the continuity and so many returning starters is a huge deal plus getting Ossai back.

Absolutely.  The biggest winner in this re-tooled offensive line isn't Burrow (well, perhaps his long term health?) but possibly it is Mixon.  What he has done behind a below average line might be being overlooked.  

Not saying the Bengals become a run-first team, but the improved line will sure give them a lot of flexibility and defensive linemen will not always be teeing off on a sure pass rush set.  
Reply/Quote