Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Eric Bieniemy set to interview with Bengals Friday
(01-02-2019, 12:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: He's not really "young." He'll be 50 years old by the start of next season.

Right, but his coaching style and philosophy is not the old school way of doing things. He would bring the “new NFL” mentality to Cincinnati. Something we have been lacking and desperately need.

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 11:47 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: He'd be an offensive mind, which we need, but, with no head coaching experience, do we really want another guy that we just hope can get the job done because he was a good coordinator?

Maybe it's just a passing phase, but I think 5 of the HCs in the playoffs right now were hired within the past few years and had no experience as HC.

Colts and Reich
Bears and Nagy
Eagles and Pederson
Chargers and Lynn
Rams and McVey

Then you have O'Brien or Garrett in the middle, and then the rest of the gang have been around for a long time and have made, or won the SB.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 11:23 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Just tweeted by Ian Rapoport.
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1080465058545782785
Not only is Bieniemy a hot candidate due to his success as Chiefs OC but he also was a RB with the Bengals 95-98. Hopefully this means Mike Brown has some familiarity with him lol.

EDIT - Link added.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Granted, he was a player in "the lost decade" but I always liked him.  He was a stalwart on special teams and always played tough. I love the creativity they use in KC, and how they never seem to take their foot off the gas.  

My hope would be he would bring on a DC that has a similar, aggressive mentality.  It is time to start throwing punches instead of always ducking and running.  That is the ONLY way this team will become remotely interesting again.  I mean, they are my team...and I think they are barely watchable.  Boring, conservative, stupid...
Reply/Quote
Good read on Bienemy and what the team that hires him will get:

https://sports.yahoo.com/heres-chiefs-eric-bieniemy-interview-list-jets-cards-bucs-dolphins-035900700.html

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 12:06 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Granted, he was a player in "the lost decade" but I always liked him.  He was a stalwart on special teams and always played tough. I love the creativity they use in KC, and how they never seem to take their foot off the gas.  

My hope would be he would bring on a DC that has a similar, aggressive mentality.  It is time to start throwing punches instead of always ducking and running.  That is the ONLY way this team will become remotely interesting again.  I mean, they are my team...and I think they are barely watchable.  Boring, conservative, stupid...

Players like Eric Bieniemy and Jay Gruden go to show you that the best players don't always make great coaches and the not-so-great players can definitely become good coaches.

I think it speaks volumes that Bieniemy played in the NFL during a time that was much more smashmouth than it is now but he's been able to adapt very well going from a player to a coordinator.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 12:06 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: My hope would be he would bring on a DC that has a similar, aggressive mentality.  It is time to start throwing punches instead of always ducking and running.  That is the ONLY way this team will become remotely interesting again.  I mean, they are my team...and I think they are barely watchable.  Boring, conservative, stupid...

I'll pass on the over aggressive defense. That is when you end up with a Rob Ryan or Greg Williams (contrary to what people believe his defense in Cleveland wasn't good this year). Indy is winning this year with an old school Tampa 2 defense, which is the definition of bend but don't break. 
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 12:08 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Good read on Bienemy and what the team that hires him will get:

https://sports.yahoo.com/heres-chiefs-eric-bieniemy-interview-list-jets-cards-bucs-dolphins-035900700.html

A person who swears when fired up...my kinda guy!  :andy:
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The only question I'd have about him is how much of that powerful Kansas City offense is his doing and how much of it is Andy Reid's.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 12:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Maybe it's just a passing phase, but I think 5 of the HCs in the playoffs right now were hired within the past few years and had no experience as HC.

Colts and Reich
Bears and Nagy
Eagles and Pederson
Chargers and Lynn
Rams and McVey

Then you have O'Brien or Garrett in the middle, and then the rest of the gang have been around for a long time and have made, or won the SB.

People always want to throw that never had any HC experience out there. Well guess what ? Every HC out there was a HC for the first time somewhere.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 12:10 PM)Big Boss Wrote: The only question I'd have about him is how much of that powerful Kansas City offense is his doing and how much of it is Andy Reid's.

Matt Nagy and Doug Pederson were OCs for the Chiefs under Andy Reid and they've turned their new teams around pretty well.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
But from that article The Real Deal posted, those guys called plays as offensive coordinators and Bieniemy does not.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 12:11 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: People always want to throw that never had any HC experience out there. Well guess what ? Every HC out there was a HC for the first time somewhere.

I recall hearing no HC has won a SB in two places, either.  SO you gotsta get 'em first!
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 12:10 PM)Big Boss Wrote: The only question I'd have about him is how much of that powerful Kansas City offense is his doing and how much of it is Andy Reid's.

Good point.

Instead of farting around interviewing his coordinators, why don't we just hire Reid?

We're the Bengals, damnit, and we take what we want when we want it. 
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote

Gotta hope a lot of Reid's knowledge and scheme's have rubbed off on him.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 12:13 PM)Big Boss Wrote: But from that article The Real Deal posted, those guys called plays as offensive coordinators and Bieniemy does not.

Frank Reich in Indy never called the plays in Philly as their OC (Pederson did). It's not ideal but play calling is less important than game planning and the install. 
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 12:18 PM)Au165 Wrote: Frank Reich in Indy never called the plays in Philly as their OC (Pederson did). It's not ideal but play calling is less important than game planning and the install. 

Especially as HC. Bieniemy wouldn't have to worry about playcalling as HC, he can have an OC do that. It'd just be his responsibility to pick a good one. And set the tone for aggressiveness.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 12:08 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Good read on Bienemy and what the team that hires him will get:

Good read. My favorite part...

'Such is the bass and volume of Eric Bieniemy’s spine-straightening voice that it reverberates hundreds of yards away, prompting a fascinating mixture of chuckles, stares and compliance from all who hear his cornucopia of sayings, many of which range from the mundane — “Finish!” or “Go get it!” or “Go score!” — to the, um, more animated.'
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 12:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Especially as HC. Bieniemy wouldn't have to worry about playcalling as HC, he can have an OC do that. It'd just be his responsibility to pick a good one. And set the tone for aggressiveness.

I don't think Mike Brown snapped Hue back up from the Browns just to fire him, but time will tell.  Things have taken an even worse turn since Hue got here, so maybe Mike Brown cuts his losses and lets him go.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 11:53 AM)The Real Deal Wrote: Definitely wouldn’t hold my breath. But the fact that he chose to have an interview while simultaneously turning down an interview in Arizona tells me the mutual interest is alive and kicking.

I was unaware he turned down an interview with AZ.  Makes me slightly more optimistic, but that's a low bar when it comes to this organization.

Real question is how will he react to the owner's daughter sliding an offer letter across the desk with performance incentives up to, but not to exceed a mariemont coupon booklet.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 11:58 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I was going to say, playing for the Bengals in the 90s seems more like a reason he wouldn't want to be here than a reason to come back.  Time will tell.

That was my exact thoughts also. 
Reply/Quote