Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Eric Bieniemy set to interview with Bengals Friday
(01-02-2019, 01:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Sleeping with Bieniemy was a far better player than Jay Gruden ever was. Eric had almost 5,000 all-purpose yards in the NFL, while Jay topped out as a practice squad player. Eric was actually one of my favorite players in the 90's. Had 805 yards (rushing/receiving) as our 3rd down back in 1995. Overall, he played 4 years for us, with almost 2,000 yards rushing/receiving in that time.

Think of him as a Gio type of player, although he didn't always get as much usage as Gio does (never understood why...he was gold when we used him).

He should be used to it as a guy who played for the 90's Bengals. Heck, Mike Brown was even worse back then.

Rumor has it the Jonathan Joseph debacle finally forced MB to install hand sanitizer dispensers throughout PBS filled with lube to stymie the bitching about getting  ****** in the *** by a family of hair lipped mizers.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 11:51 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Unfortunately it also means Bieniemy has some familiarity with Mike Brown.

Not holding my breath on this one.  He's probably taking the interview to keep from sending the wrong impression to other owners.  

That's a double edged sword. He has familiarity with how MB liked to control everything while he was here, but he also has familiarity with how the Browns are loyal to their players and coaches, almost to a fault. He would know he's not going to get canned here in 1 year.....
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 11:54 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What’s going on in your house that you have wet toast?

The next hot  assistant coach is sometimes is a season or two away from being fired as a HC..... Wet toast, dry toast etc.. as for Lazor, i believe he did a decent job with what he had working with injuries and a line that had one starter in place from last year.  Simmons has had success as a special teams coach so I don;t seem him at all as a failure..   

More candidates internal and external to interview is a good thing..
Reply/Quote
Hey, don't trash Mariemont. It was my favorite of all the places we lived when I was a kid.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 01:47 PM)Earendil Wrote: Hey, don't trash Mariemont. It was my favorite of all the places we lived when I was a kid.

Only one trashing mariemont is mike brown's tax shelter schemes.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 12:33 PM)MentalRage Wrote: Idc if they don't have experience as a head coach.

McVay, Naggy and Pederson didn't either.

People need to remember, if they have experience as a Head Coach and are available, it's because they got fired somewhere else.....
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 01:51 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Only one trashing mariemont is mike brown's tax shelter schemes.

LMAO
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 01:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Sleeping with Bieniemy was a far better player than Jay Gruden ever was. Eric had almost 5,000 all-purpose yards in the NFL, while Jay topped out as a practice squad player. Eric was actually one of my favorite players in the 90's. Had 805 yards (rushing/receiving) as our 3rd down back in 1995. Overall, he played 4 years for us, with almost 2,000 yards rushing/receiving in that time.

Think of him as a Gio type of player, although he didn't always get as much usage as Gio does (never understood why...he was gold when we used him).

He should be used to it as a guy who played for the 90's Bengals. Heck, Mike Brown was even worse back then.

Very true on Bieniemy, I didn't mean to make it sound like he was EXACTLY like Jay Gruden. Just that he wasn't some All-Pro player in the NFL.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 01:58 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Very true on Bieniemy, I didn't mean to make it sound like he was EXACTLY like Jay Gruden. Just that he wasn't some All-Pro player in the NFL.

I didn't think you were, really. Just wanted to remind people that Bieniemy was a pretty good player for us. I guess I have a soft spot for forgotten 90's players. Anyways, I agree with your point. It happens a lot in the NBA as well. Mediocre players often wind up being the best coaches.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 02:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I didn't think you were, really. Just wanted to remind people that Bieniemy was a pretty good player for us. I guess I have a soft spot for forgotten 90's players. Anyways, I agree with your point. It happens a lot in the NBA as well. Mediocre players often wind up being the best coaches.

I have a soft spot for him as well.

Same goes for Harold Green, Darnay Scott, Jeff Blake, James Brooks, John Copeland, Darryl Williams, ashley Ambrose, Jimmy Spencer, Sam Shade, Tim McGee, Tony Mcgee, Artrell Hawkins, Steve Tovar, Reinard Wilson, Tim Krumrie, James Francis, Jim Breech, Lee Johnson etc.

I could go on a little more, but you get the point.

It was rough as a youngster but I absolutely loved watching my team play every Sunday.

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 12:10 PM)Big Boss Wrote: The only question I'd have about him is how much of that powerful Kansas City offense is his doing and how much of it is Andy Reid's.

This

The hope is that he absorbed enough and was conversant enough and was actually calling the plays out there.

But just the fact that there would be no one possibly hamstringing his play calling would be reason enough for optimism.

They should give Kitchens a call as well.  If only to REALLY piss Mayfield off.  And I liked how the players' assessment of Kitchens is that he made the scheme and play calls fit the players - not the other way around.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 12:13 PM)Big Boss Wrote: But from that article The Real Deal posted, those guys called plays as offensive coordinators and Bieniemy does not.

BIG PROBLEM
Reply/Quote
I can't say why, but Bieniemy is probably my top choice. NOrmally, I'd be wary of making a 1 year coordinator a HC, but something about Bieniemy - aside from his former Bengalness - makes me want him as our new HC.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 02:28 PM)3wt Wrote: BIG PROBLEM

I don't know, might make him more likely to be hands off on playcalling as HC. We saw the effects Marvin had on his OCs. Maybe let's let the OC do their thing and Bieniemy will do that.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 02:32 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I don't know, might make him more likely to be hands off on playcalling as HC. We saw the effects Marvin had on his OCs. Maybe let's let the OC do their thing and Bieniemy will do that.

Alright.  I'll step back from the ledge.

But I want a guy who at least has a vision for correctly using our players.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 02:39 PM)3wt Wrote: Alright.  I'll step back from the ledge.

But I want a guy who at least has a vision for correctly using our players.

From the article I read, he had a lot of say in the game plan, he just didn't actually call the plays on the field.
Reply/Quote
If Bienemy is offered & accepts the role, when are they allowed to announce it? Would they wait until the Chiefs season ends?
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 03:48 PM)dnkw Wrote: If Bienemy is offered & accepts the role, when are they allowed to announce it? Would they wait until the Chiefs season ends?

It can be announced when it happens, he just can't make the transition until after the Chiefs' season is over.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 03:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It can be announced when it happens, he just can't make the transition until after the Chiefs' season is over.

Ah, thank you.
Reply/Quote
What I remember about Eric Bieniemy's time with the Bengals was on a punt play, on our own side of the field, and Bieniemy decided to call for a fake punt on something like 4th and 6 or so. Everyone was shocked when the Bengals ran the fake punt, including HC Dave Shula. They didn't make the necessary yards and after the game Eric Bieniemy got in front of the cameras and said he decided to call the fake punt on his own.

That's what I remember about Eric Bieniemy. It also told me that Dave Shula wasn't in control.

I forget the exact year this was or who we were playing, but those were dark days. At least Eric Bieniemy has some fire in him.

Reply/Quote