Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Eric Bieniemy set to interview with Bengals Friday
THE most important thing to remember is a HC is NOT a coordinator - he is the overall team leader, he does not call plays or build the game plan. He hires the coordinators to do that. HC is a different role, this is obvious in many respects but needs to be stated.

The candidates will be out to prove that they can lead, they can develop a plan for the type of systems and players they want, they can motivate, they can game manage and make tough decisions where needed.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 02:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Why aren't we seeing the same level for the other external candidates?

Because Bienemy was a Bengal, therefore there has to be something wrong with or about him..  Anyone that has never been affiliated with the team in some capacity certainly must be infallible.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 02:03 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: THE most important thing to remember is a HC is NOT a coordinator - he is the overall team leader, he does not call plays or build the game plan. He hires the coordinators to do that. HC is a different role, this is obvious in many respects but needs to be stated.

The candidates will be out to prove that they can lead, they can develop a plan for the type of systems and players they want, they can motivate, they can game manage and make tough decisions where needed.

This is definitely the more traditional way, but there are some HCs who do call the plays and/or build the game plan.
It just should not be expected that a HC should HAVE to also be a coordinator.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 01:41 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Until you realize the offense this year is better than it's ever been in KC. First place in both yards and points. I know this year was the year of Mahomes, but Bieniemy must be doing something right.

What I'm really starting to get concerned with is why people are being so critical of this guy. They are trying to nitpick every single little thing he has and hasn't done. Are the alternatives really any better? What about the alternatives would give you more confidence over Bieniemy?
Vance Joseph - Wasn't elite as a DC in Miami, bad as HC in Denver
Bill Lazor - Offense started hot but really took a nosedive after Green and Eifert went down. Shouldn't we be worried about his ability to adjust in games?
Todd Monken - He did well with the Bucs as OC but he was not good as a HC in college, going 13-25 at Southern Miss.
Zac Taylor - Currently QB coach with Rams but wasn't QB coach in 2017, he was assistant WR coach. So he can't really be labeled as the QB whisperer for Jared Goff since Goff broke out in 2017, not 2018.
Shane Waldron - Currently TE coach with Rams, but they haven't gotten good production out of their TEs, have they? He's also their pass game coordinator, but the Rams' offense is driven arguably through Todd Gurley.
Darrin Simmons - Been good as ST coach with Cincinnati but I don't think anyone would get excited about seeing a ST coach become the HC. Not that it'd be the wrong move, but it would be a letdown for many of the fans.

See? Anyone can nitpick any of these candidates.

And I'd personally be stoked for Bieniemy to come to Cincinnati. He's been a RB coach and OC his whole coaching career. Given we want to see an emphasis on the running game, wouldn't Bieniemy be a perfect fit to man the helm? I don't really see him being any worse option than the rest of the guys listed.

All great points, would be ecstatic with Bienemy. Then let him pick his assistants and Coordinators.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 03:42 PM)Wyche Wrote: Don't forget Pederson either.......

I only didn't include him because he was OC for 3 seasons. Andy Reid's tree has really been bearing some serious fruit lately though.

(01-03-2019, 03:52 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Naggy called plays vs Eric who hasn't done that yet.

Not til week 13 of his only season as OC.

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2017/12/08/chiefs-oc-matt-nagy-to-call-plays-again-sunday-vs-raiders/

So he barely had any experience at all.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 09:18 AM)Au165 Wrote: It's funny you say that I don't think one of those teams have a better D line than us, I could maybe see Eagles but that's close. The issue is they have better second level coverage linebackers than us by far. When your second level takes away the quick dump off passes it let's your front get home. I think fixing the LBing group has to be priority one this off season even more so than O line because most of our defensive issues are related to the complete shit show at LB.

I think we tend to overstate the value of guys like Dunlap and Geno...I love those guys, but does their game elevate at the most crucial times in the biggest games?  And if those teams don't have a better D line than us, do you pin it all on the LBs?

Regardless, the synergy of a good defense is clearly not happening on this team.  And I have stated numerous times that I don't think our scheme gets the most out of our players.  I think it saps their energy, if anything.  
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 04:25 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think we tend to overstate the value of guys like Dunlap and Geno...I love those guys, but does their game elevate at the most crucial times in the biggest games?  And if those teams don't have a better D line than us, do you pin it all on the LBs?

Regardless, the synergy of a good defense is clearly not happening on this team.  And I have stated numerous times that I don't think our scheme gets the most out of our players.  I think it saps their energy, if anything.  

I think it comes down to coaching and we are understating how terrible of a coach Haslett is, cause yeah we can pin most of it on the LB's. They have been out of position since he has been here.

Would rather have Burfict coaching the LB's.

Want Burney gone too and replaced with whoever the new coach wants.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 04:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Would rather have Burfict coaching the LB's.

I'll pass on Joey Porter 2.0
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 04:34 PM)Au165 Wrote: I'll pass on Joey Porter 2.0

And i will pass on Haslett. Never going to happen anyways as Burfict was Marv's guy, just saying how bad i dislike Haslett.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 01:41 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Until you realize the offense this year is better than it's ever been in KC. First place in both yards and points. I know this year was the year of Mahomes, but Bieniemy must be doing something right.

What I'm really starting to get concerned with is why people are being so critical of this guy. They are trying to nitpick every single little thing he has and hasn't done. Are the alternatives really any better? What about the alternatives would give you more confidence over Bieniemy?
Vance Joseph - Wasn't elite as a DC in Miami, bad as HC in Denver
Bill Lazor - Offense started hot but really took a nosedive after Green and Eifert went down. Shouldn't we be worried about his ability to adjust in games?
Todd Monken - He did well with the Bucs as OC but he was not good as a HC in college, going 13-25 at Southern Miss.
Zac Taylor - Currently QB coach with Rams but wasn't QB coach in 2017, he was assistant WR coach. So he can't really be labeled as the QB whisperer for Jared Goff since Goff broke out in 2017, not 2018.
Shane Waldron - Currently TE coach with Rams, but they haven't gotten good production out of their TEs, have they? He's also their pass game coordinator, but the Rams' offense is driven arguably through Todd Gurley.
Darrin Simmons - Been good as ST coach with Cincinnati but I don't think anyone would get excited about seeing a ST coach become the HC. Not that it'd be the wrong move, but it would be a letdown for many of the fans.

See? Anyone can nitpick any of these candidates.

And I'd personally be stoked for Bieniemy to come to Cincinnati. He's been a RB coach and OC his whole coaching career. Given we want to see an emphasis on the running game, wouldn't Bieniemy be a perfect fit to man the helm? I don't really see him being any worse option than the rest of the guys listed.

The reality is that all of the young candidates are relatively unproven.  We know Hue sucks.  Vance struggled, but didn't have a QB.  Monken had a bad overall record as a college HC, but turned a team that didn't even win 1 game the year before he got there into a bowl team.  The rest are total unknowns.

Because of that, I'm good with any of the outside candidates.  However, when people start throwing out Nagy and Pederson as endorsements for Bienemy, it's fair to point out that Andy Reid thought they were better coordinators than he would be.
Reply/Quote

In fairness, Burfict never gang beat and robbed another player.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 04:53 PM)Whatever Wrote: In fairness, Burfict never gang beat and robbed another player.

Burfict head is scrambled, I think he will unfortunately be the poster child for CTE sooner rather than later. 
Reply/Quote

Jerry.......it's always JERRY Porter round these parts. Wink

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote