Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eric Eberflus
Never heard of this guy until he was brought up on the BBP. They were very high on him and think he would actually be the best candidate to be our HC.

A quick Google search turned up the following article:
https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-coaching-search-5-things-to-know-about-matt-eberflus
Quote:5 things to know about Matt Eberflus

1. Eberflus, in his first season as an NFL defensive coordinator, is the leader of a unit that improved more than any in 2018. The Colts were near the bottom in most defensive categories last season, finishing 30th in total defense (367.3 yards allowed per game) and scoring defense (25.3 points allowed per game). Indianapolis, which went from 4-12 to 10-6 and advanced to the playoffs, finished the 2018 season ranked 11th in total defense (339.4) and 10th in scoring defense (21.5). In their final 10 games -- a stretch in which the team went 9-1 -- the Colts allowed 10 or fewer points on four occasions, including a shutout of the NFC East champion Cowboys. On Saturday, the Colts blanked the Texans in the first three quarters on the way to a 21-7 victory.

2. Eberflus’ hiring in Indianapolis is a unique story. Eberflus was picked to be defensive coordinator by Josh McDaniels, who committed to become head coach but ultimately decided to return to New England. The Colts opted to keep Eberflus and two other assistants -- offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo and defensive line coach Mike Phair -- while searching for a new head coach. Frank Reich was tabbed as the head man a few days later, and one of the first things on his to-do list was to get acquainted with his new defensive coordinator. “It really couldn’t have worked out any better,” Reich said recently. “I know it’s crazy. It’s really an odd way for it to come together, but it literally couldn’t have come together any better.’’

3. Eberflus spent 17 seasons at the collegiate level -- working under his former college coach and mentor Gary Pinkel the entire time -- before he made the jump to the NFL. A defensive coordinator for seven seasons at Missouri, Eberflus joined Eric Mangini’s defensive staff in Cleveland as a linebackers coach. It wasn’t easy for Eberflus, as the Browns lost multiple starting inside linebackers for the year by the midpoint of the 2009 season. Four of his linebackers finished in the top 10 in tackles in 2010.

4. After Mangini’s firing, Eberflus landed in Dallas in the same position. He held the title of linebackers coach during his entire, seven-year tenure with the Cowboys but took on additional responsibilities in 2016 and 2017 as the team’s passing game coordinator. On top of his meetings with the linebackers, Eberflus spent extra time with the linebackers and defensive backs together to plan coverage strategy against opposing offenses. “Teams do it different ways,” Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett said at the time. “We thought having Matt Eberflus being the guy who oversees that back end, in regards to the passing game, we thought that would be a good way for our defense to go.” The Cowboys maintained the position after Eberflus’ departure, giving the title to defensive backs coach Kris Richard for the 2018 season.

5. Eberflus grew up in Toledo, attended Whitmer High and starred on the University of Toledo football team from 1988-91. He racked up 325 tackles, 89 coming as a junior and 138 during a senior season in which he served as a co-captain and was named the team’s MVP. He was inducted into Toledo’s Athletic Hall of Fame in 2004.

He's a defense guy but nothing really seems to stand out, but Paul Dehner Jr. and Fletcher Paige think really highly of him.

Thoughts?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Yep I just listened to that episode this morning. Intriguing to me for sure.

Reply/Quote
He's a fantastic candidate. We just haven't been talking about him, because the Bengals declared that they were searching for a "young, offensive minded coach".
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
First thing to know....his name is Matt. I think he was one of the guys we were rumored to be waiting until their team got eliminated form the playoffs to talk to. Now some here won't like him for a couple reasons, neither are real issues just funny fan complaints.

1. He runs a Tampa 2 zone defense.
2. He is one of the least blitzing coordinators in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 02:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He's a fantastic candidate. We just haven't been talking about him, because the Bengals declared that they were searching for a "young, offensive minded coach".

Or they could still be waiting because they also said that “out of respect they weren’t pursuing coaches still in the playoffs”. Maybe the offensive minded route is a smokescreen? Maybe not. It’ll definitely be interesting as more candidates open up to be interviewed.

Reply/Quote
Yeah, i didn't know this guys name cause it is different but i have watched his Defense this year and it looked night and day from the old Colts Defense. He had them playing physical, fast and very disciplined. How do pronounce Eberflus BTW?
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 03:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, i didn't know this guys name cause it is different but i have watched his Defense this year and it looked night and day from the old Colts Defense. He had them playing physical, fast and very disciplined. How do pronounce Eberflus BTW?

I don't know if the is the official pronunciation, but here goes nothing.  Try saying Uber, only with an E, then add fluss to it.   LOL

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The main thing I want is change, this team badly needs a reboot ! I'd rather go offense but when it gets down to it I'd be ok with this guy as well.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 03:06 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't know if the is the official pronunciation, but here goes nothing.  Try saying Uber, only with an E, then add fluss to it.   LOL

Thank Sunset lol
Reply/Quote
I'm not sold on that soft tampa 2 zone. But I can't criticize it now because he's got it working. I don't want it here tho.

If it's a defensive mind I want Richard.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 03:16 PM)jj22 Wrote: I'm not sold on that soft tampa 2 zone. But I can't criticize it now because he's got it working. I don't want it here tho.

Your not going to like this then either.....Dallas runs a lot of Tampa 2 as well haha. Cover 2 is great if you have a front 4 who can get home and linebackers that can cover. If we had the linebackers we would be perfect at it. In fact it is what we ran a lot of back when Zimmer was here and were a top 10 defense.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 03:19 PM)Au165 Wrote: Your not going to like this then either.....Dallas runs a lot of Tampa 2 as well haha. Cover 2 is great if you have a front 4 who can get home and linebackers that can cover. If we had the linebackers we would be perfect at it. In fact it is what we ran a lot of back when Zimmer was here and were a top 10 defense.

I thought Dallas ran more cover 3 press now that Richard is there?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 03:11 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The main thing I want is change, this team badly needs a reboot ! I'd rather go offense but when it gets down to it I'd be ok with this guy as well.

I don't really care if the new HC is offense or defense. I want a disciplinarian that holds players accountable, who is willing to make changes when they're needed (say like removing an underperforming player from the starting lineup or making halftime adjustments), and has never been on the Bengals coaching staff. I'd also like a HC who'll call out poor officiating.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 03:21 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I thought Dallas ran more cover 3 press now that Richard is there?

Na, I'm pretty sure they are still running Marinelli's Tampa 2 variation. Doesn't mean they don't mix it up like any team but that is their base. 
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 03:16 PM)jj22 Wrote: I'm not sold on that soft tampa 2 zone. But I can't criticize it now because he's got it working. I don't want it here tho.

I think that soft zone is predicated on your defense being able to recognize and react and tackle. That is something these defensive players on the Bengals are not good at.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 03:26 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I don't really care if the new HC is offense or defense. I want a disciplinarian that holds players accountable, who is willing to make changes when they're needed (say like removing an underperforming player from the starting lineup or making halftime adjustments), and has never been on the Bengals coaching staff. I'd also like a HC who'll call out poor officiating.

Same here, doesn't have to be an Offensive coach, just a coach that can adjust, is aggressive and keeps the team disciplined.

Eberflus might be that guy as his Defense looks very disciplined out there.

(01-08-2019, 03:27 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: I think that soft zone is predicated on your defense being able to recognize and react and tackle. That is something these defensive players on the Bengals are not good at.

How much of this has been the coaching though? We need to add some decent LB's no question.
Reply/Quote
He made Margus Hunt into a productive player which is more than any of our coaches were able to do.
During the broadcast on Sunday, they told a story about how Eberflus was watching an old NFL film of the 70's Steelers. He noticed the way the defense was attacking the gaps. He came in and added those very effective stunts to the Colts game plans. That was when the defense turned around. What we know about him....

1) He is able to bring out the best in marginal players
2) He developed Darius Leonard into the best young LB in the game, all-pro as a rookie, and likely DROY
3) He is able to implement effective changes in his team based on their skills/talents

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 03:43 PM)pally Wrote: He made Margus Hunt into a productive player which is more than any of our coaches were able to do.
During the broadcast on Sunday, they told a story about how Eberflus was watching an old NFL film of the 70's Steelers. He noticed the way the defense was attacking the gaps. He came in and added those very effective stunts to the Colts game plans. That was when the defense turned around. What we know about him....

1) He is able to bring out the best in marginal players
2) He developed Darius Leonard into the best young LB in the game, all-pro as a rookie, and likely DROY
3) He is able to implement effective changes in his team based on their skills/talents

Great stuff Pally, was actually impressed with Margus Saturday lol

This says something and yeah, Leonard has been great this year under Eberflus.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 03:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: How much of this has been the coaching though? We need to add some decent LB's no question.

I hope that is it Nate. You are going to give up some 3rd and 4's and 3rd and 5's but I want to get back to where when it is 3rd and long we know we are getting off the field. That was beyond frustrating. 

The LB core was a big time part of that. The other team knew when we blitzed that there would always be the outlet guy wide open. When we didnt blitz the QB could just sit there until their TE or RB ran by our guys. 
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 03:48 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: I hope that is it Nate. You are going to give up some 3rd and 4's and 3rd and 5's but I want to get back to where when it is 3rd and long we know we are getting off the field. That was beyond frustrating. 

The LB core was a big time part of that. The other team knew when we blitzed that there would always be the outlet guy wide open. When we didnt blitz the QB could just sit there until their TE or RB ran by our guys. 

When we did blitz the QB killed us, because our LB's were in one on one situations. PFF stated our LB core coverage ratings were historically bad. Our secondary graded out as the number 7 secondary....now realize how bad the LB group had to be for that to be true. 
Reply/Quote