Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eric Eberflus
(01-08-2019, 03:51 PM)Au165 Wrote: When we did blitz the QB killed us, because our LB's were in one on one situations. PFF stated our LB core coverage ratings were historically bad. Our secondary graded out as the number 7 secondary....now realize how bad the LB group had to be for that to be true. 

My God, these guys picked up their play a lot. 

One thing is that Hardy Nickerson should never be on the starting unit of an NFL team again.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 03:58 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: My God, these guys picked up their play a lot. 

One thing is that Hardy Nickerson should never be on the starting unit of an NFL team again.

He wasn't supposed to be starting in this one, Preston Brown was. I'm not sure a healthy Burfcit, Brown, Vigil was going to be light years better but it literally couldn't have been worse.
Reply/Quote
Know what else is interesting about that podcast? Paul really goes against what we talk about here, in terms of Mikes control over the team. They were saying that Mike has heavily delegated for years now. Makes me wonder, since we do blame Mike for nearly everything.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 04:37 PM)thillan Wrote: Know what else is interesting about that podcast? Paul really goes against what we talk about here, in terms of Mikes control over the team. They were saying that Mike has heavily delegated for years now. Makes me wonder, since we do blame Mike for nearly everything.

I think that's true, though. I think after Marvin became Head Coach but prior to the last few years or so, Mike has given up less and less control. I think he still talked to ML and gave advice and suggestions, but I think he left the team mainly up to Marvin and let him run it. I think the only area Marvin probably didn't have much, if any, control was in free agency. But, even there, I think Katie and Duke probably had more say than Mike.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I'm not entirely opposed to having another defensive-minded HC. After all, our defense was historically bad this past season. Our offense was not.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 03:48 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: I hope that is it Nate. You are going to give up some 3rd and 4's and 3rd and 5's but I want to get back to where when it is 3rd and long we know we are getting off the field. That was beyond frustrating. 

The LB core was a big time part of that. The other team knew when we blitzed that there would always be the outlet guy wide open. When we didnt blitz the QB could just sit there until their TE or RB ran by our guys. 

So true, it was like automatic this year on 3rd and longs. No way you win when this happens.

Will be so happy to move on from Haslett.

Dude has been terrible since we got here, the LB's are always out of position and they cannot tackle or cover.

I don't find this to be a coincidence. That is what is nice with Marv gone, a new coach will bring in his guys most likely.

Still think they ought to keep Pollack and Van Pelt though.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 03:58 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: My God, these guys picked up their play a lot. 

Starting? Hell he should never be on a roster again!!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 05:09 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I'm not entirely opposed to having another defensive-minded HC.  After all, our defense was historically bad this past season.  Our offense was not.

And it's not like a defensive HC can't hire a brilliant OC.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 04:37 PM)thillan Wrote: Know what else is interesting about that podcast? Paul really goes against what we talk about here, in terms of Mikes control over the team. They were saying that Mike has heavily delegated for years now. Makes me wonder, since we do blame Mike for nearly everything.

From what I understand/remember, Mike started giving up bits of control after the 2010 season. Katie, Troy, and the rest of the family started making more day to day decisions, but Mike Brown was still making final decisions on bigger issues.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 06:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: So true, it was like automatic this year on 3rd and longs. No way you win when this happens.

Will be so happy to move on from Haslett.

Dude has been terrible since we got here, the LB's are always out of position and they cannot tackle or cover.

I don't find this to be a coincidence. That is what is nice with Marv gone, a new coach will bring in his guys most likely.

Still think they ought to keep Pollack and Van Pelt though.

Yes!  These are the only guys that I would keep. They need to get rid of the stink that surrounds this team, but since we cant do that a coaching overhaul is the next best thing!!
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 06:58 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Starting? Hell he should never be on a roster again!!

Its a new year and I was trying to be nice, but yeah I think that Marvin owed someone a favor. Maybe Dad was supporting him and he wanted Jr to make some money so he wouldnt be drinking his beer.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 03:26 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I don't really care if the new HC is offense or defense. I want a disciplinarian that holds players accountable, who is willing to make changes when they're needed (say like removing an underperforming player from the starting lineup or making halftime adjustments), and has never been on the Bengals coaching staff. I'd also like a HC who'll call out poor officiating.

And someone who can manage the clock!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 03:51 PM)Au165 Wrote: When we did blitz the QB killed us, because our LB's were in one on one situations. PFF stated our LB core coverage ratings were historically bad. Our secondary graded out as the number 7 secondary....now realize how bad the LB group had to be for that to be true. 

(01-08-2019, 04:00 PM)Au165 Wrote: He wasn't supposed to be starting in this one, Preston Brown was. I'm not sure a healthy Burfcit, Brown, Vigil was going to be light years better but it literally couldn't have been worse.

I think alot of it is on Austin too.  He never mixed up his coverages so offenses knew exactly where to go with the football. Austin's defense was very bland and predictable. Mix in a weak linebacker core...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 03:26 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I don't really care if the new HC is offense or defense. I want a disciplinarian that holds players accountable, who is willing to make changes when they're needed (say like removing an underperforming player from the starting lineup or making halftime adjustments), and has never been on the Bengals coaching staff. I'd also like a HC who'll call out poor officiating.

Oh you want Rex Ryan too?
Reply/Quote

Exactly.   The HC is a part of the game plan, no doubt, but the coordinator positions will determine the scheme, unless it is someone like McVeigh, who I believe also serves as OC?
Reply/Quote
Can a Mod edit the title to put the guys actual name in it?
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 03:19 AM)bengalhoel Wrote: Yes!  These are the only guys that I would keep. They need to get rid of the stink that surrounds this team, but since we cant do that a coaching overhaul is the next best thing!!

Yeah Pollack and Van Pelt haven't been around long enough to get the stink.

To the OP, looks like we are done interviewing HC's so Eberflus is out of the question.

Thinking Taylor is the most likely for us right now with Joseph as the DC.
Reply/Quote