Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eric Reid Anthem Thread
Normally, we have a no politics/Anthem talk rule in place in JN. Many (myself included) do not like the current trend of politics being injected into our sports, so we've strived to keep them separated. Eric Reid visiting (or especially) signing will make that task more difficult. We understand that it's a big part of the pros or cons with this guy...so just this once, we're going to open up an Anthem-talk-is-ok thread.

That said, know some things:

1. This will not become a trend. This is a one shot deal. If you have something to say about Reid and his Anthem protest, get it out now.

2. We've had Anthem related threads in JN before, and they always end up getting ugly. Please keep it civil and be respectful of differing opinions.

3. This isn't strictly an Anthem thread. Feel free to discuss all of the pros and cons of signing Reid.

Ok then. Have at it. Popcorn

Note: After 1 day, this thread will be removed from JN and placed in PnR. Feel free to continue the discussion there.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(04-10-2018, 12:19 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Normally, we have a no politics/Anthem talk rule in place in JN. Many (myself included) do not like the current trend of politics being injected into our sports, so we've strived to keep them separated. Eric Reid visiting (or especially) signing will make that task more difficult. We understand that it's a big part of the pros or cons with this guy...so just this once, we're going to open up an Anthem-talk-is-ok thread.

1. This will not become a trend. This is a one shot deal. If you have something to say about Reid and his Anthem protest, get it out now.

2. We've had Anthem related threads in JN before, and they always end up getting ugly. Please keep it civil and be respectful of differing opinions.

3. This isn't strictly an Anthem thread. Feel free to discuss all of the pros and cons of signing Reid.

Ok then. Have at it.  Popcorn

I'm of the mind, that I appreciate the cause, and I understand it.  We have free speech and the right to assemble/protest.  I truly empathize with the cause.  I feel it is just, and a real concern.

That said, I don't like the idea that some veterans' families may be offended by the action.  I don't particularly like having politics mixed in with my sports entertainment when I'm trying to have a few hours free of the current divisive political landscape either.

Reid did what he felt was right, and has stated he doesn't intend to carry on with the anthem protest.  Maybe he was showing solidarity for his teammate and his cause.  I'm sure he also believes strongly in the cause.  I don't think he's a "cancer", and I have no reason not to believe him when he says he is moving forward without the kneeling.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Who cares? I am sure there are lots of bengals who disagree with my political views and the "protest" does not interfere with the game in any way.

If they did something that interfered with me watching the game i would complain, but the kneeling makes no difference.
BTW there are vets on both sides of this issue. Veterans and their families who are offended by this have to have other reasons than just being a vet.
Then there are those who blow off the Anthem entirely, by standing in line for their beer and hotdogs. Why isn't this level of disrespect being criticized by those who are concerned about kneeling?
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
I don't care if he knelt. But I do like the way the Bengals didn't. And especially like how little play the whole issue got with the Bengals. They just kept it all about football and I love them for that.

It's a new year now and hopefully, the whole issue is behind us.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

(04-10-2018, 12:19 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Normally, we have a no politics/Anthem talk rule in place in JN. Many (myself included) do not like the current trend of politics being injected into our sports, so we've strived to keep them separated. Eric Reid visiting (or especially) signing will make that task more difficult. We understand that it's a big part of the pros or cons with this guy...so just this once, we're going to open up an Anthem-talk-is-ok thread.

Ok then. Have at it.  
My Thoughts
They have the Right to Protest... The Cause they were protesting for was worth while imo.
What I have an issue with is using your job to push your political views on the rest of us.  Protest if you want that's your right...  Protest while at work and you likely get fired.  If I staged a protest at work I'm sure I would not have a job.
I don't watch football for the players political views I watch football for the action.   
Same reason I had an issue with Tebow(using his position as a football player to push his religious views) I have an issue with these guys protesting during the national anthem.  (1 its the national anthem.  2. Its on the job you are getting paid so go to work do your job go home then stage your protest in your free time)
that said I don't hold grudges.  Keap isn't signed cause he sucks.
If reid has the talent he will be a good signing.  And I hope he continues to support his worthy cause  OFF THE CLOCK...
(04-10-2018, 12:45 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Then there are those who blow off the Anthem entirely, by standing in line for their beer and hotdogs. Why isn't this level of disrespect being criticized by those who are concerned about kneeling?

I think because folks don't say "look at me. I'm getting a beer during the Anthem". Also they are in view of the colors being presented.

As to the kneeling; Feel free to kneel, just feel free to accept my view that you are disrespecting the flag and the brave men and women that have sacrificed so much for it.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(04-10-2018, 12:45 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Then there are those who blow off the Anthem entirely, by standing in line for their beer and hotdogs. Why isn't this level of disrespect being criticized by those who are concerned about kneeling?

Side rant, but this is quite the fascinating aspect of it socially.  I've noticed that people who are in the concourse, or outside the stadium and can HEAR the anthem don't take off their hats or stop what they are doing.  As soon as people enter the stadium however, they would stop almost immediately in the walkway or on the stairs and take off their hats and stand still.

Part of me thought it was because they saw the flag but people who can see the flag from outside don't stop and observe the anthem.  Just an interesting thing I've noticed, is all.  It's definitely on of those "velvet rope" style social rules, in my mind.

My own side view is that the things people decide to be disrespectful to veterans is awfully arbitrary, too...or it's just very flag-related only. You hear about respecting the flag for the sake of veterans, but my ol' man (who was a vet) would wonder why people don't worry about offending those who fought and died for this country when they throw their trash and cigarette butts all over our great nation and/or pollute our air and water and so on. Just something to make me think, I guess.
Who cares. People need to mind their own business. There is no law stating he has to do anything during the anthem. If you don’t want someone to encroach on your freedom, why do you want to encroach on theirs?

Depends on how well he plays.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

He said he won't be doing it anymore, so whether it bothers people or not seems like a moot point.
Everything in this post is my fault.
(04-10-2018, 12:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think because folks don't say "look at me. I'm getting a beer during the Anthem". Also they are in view of the colors being presented.

As to the kneeling; Feel free to kneel, just feel free to accept my view that you are disrespecting the flag and the brave men and women that have sacrificed so much for it.

But their actions are saying 'oh good - it's Anthem time. Now I can get a beer 'cause I won't miss anything'. Certainly not paying the respect you allude to, by choice in fact.

My point about the Reid/kneeling issue is this. Judge the man on his football ability, and how he can benefit the team. As far as his participation in the anthem protest? Sure, he did that. But, who are we to judge the guy for expressing his 1st Amendment rights?

According to the people who rate players, he would instantly be our best Safety on the team. Personally, I'm excited about the prospect of the Bengals being capable of running a Cover 3 Nickle set. Would go far in remedying one of the defenses Achilles' heels in being able to stop the run in Nickle, as well as maintain solid coverage on TEs.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Idc either way unless him kneeling somehow messes up his ability to make plays

Them cats have been wronged by the NFL and everyone knows it. But if Reid is signed then maybe we have to start looking at Kaeprenick. Don’t want anyone to ever forget Baltimore was about to sign him until his boo messed it up. Love the man but he had a shot
(04-10-2018, 12:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: BTW there are vets on both sides of this issue.  Veterans and their families who are offended by this have to have other reasons than just being a vet.

There certainly are....I am more concerned with the potential offending of the families of veterans who have died while serving under the flag.  It doesn't really effect me personally, I'd just hate to see a grieving family upset over it.

Absolutely.  Myself, if I am in line during the anthem, I still remove my hat and observe the tradition.

"Better send those refunds..."

I thought it was over (should be) once the same people upset and "outraged" about kneeling threw their support behind Roseanne who spit, gave the finger, and grabbed her crotch as she "sung" the Anthem. Shrugs.

It was all politics that the NFL fell for. Never had anything to do with Vets or disrespecting the flag. That was spin by a political side who (when they aren't being investigated) wanted to show their "support" for Law Enforcement or (when not attacking our VETS like McCain, and our captured soldiers) wanted to show they are pro VETS.

NFL should be the ones feeling betrayed for being a pawn in the game of politics. The league should have known better.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22

Ok then. Have at it.  Popcorn

Thanks Shake, sometimes you just have to get this stuff off your chest.

There was one poster who i think said it best how i feel. "The right to kneel is reason enough to stand."

Reid says he has no intention of kneeling this year and i am happy about it.

These guys get paid to play football, not for their political view points and whether they mean to or not they alienate
military who die for our freedom when they do this. Football is no place for politics and i actually have respect for how
Marvin has handled all of this honestly. He has kept it professional unlike Tomlin and the Stealers.

Also, i must add that i like having Eifert back too who wore cleats that honored the military and got fined for it.

Stand up guy Eifert is (if he can stand up and not break). Ninja
(04-10-2018, 01:19 PM)Wyche Wrote: There certainly are....I am more concerned with the potential offending of the families of veterans who have died while serving under the flag.  It doesn't really effect me personally, I'd just hate to see a grieving family upset over it.

This is a standard I try to hold myself to, as well.  I realize it may not be too fashionable these days, but even if I don't find something offensive I make an attempt to not offend people around me who do or might find it offensive when it's easy to do so.  

(04-10-2018, 01:19 PM)jj22 Wrote: I thought it was over (should be) once the same people upset and "outraged" about kneeling threw their support behind Roseanne who spit, gave the finger, and grabbed her crotch as she "sung" the Anthem. Shrugs. 

I thought about this when people were fawning over the Roseanne reboot showing the Trump love.  Who knows, Colin Kapernick could be a right-wing darling in 30 years, too.
(04-10-2018, 01:19 PM)Wyche Wrote: There certainly are....I am more concerned with the potential offending of the families of veterans who have died while serving under the flag.  It doesn't really effect me personally, I'd just hate to see a grieving family upset over it.

Absolutely.  Myself, if I am in line during the anthem, I still remove my hat and observe the tradition.

So do I and have seen many do the same. Just not as many as those going about their business otherwise. It's just something I've noticed over the years, and not something I get overly riled by.