Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eric Reid Anthem Thread
The NFL is an entertainment industry. People pay to watch football games. People don’t pay to have political issues pushed on them. It’s not that protesting this is wrong, but the notion that those paying to be entertained are not entertained by it.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
If Reid having an opinion people don't like means we get a good football player at a better price, sign me up.
Shouldn’t we wait until he’s actually a Bengal to worry about such things?

The protests don't bother me at all. There are some issues and I think it's great that these guys use their platform to help bring attention to it. I don't feel that kneeling is disrespectful at all. If they were destroying the flag or badmouthing our military, I could understand why that would upset people. It would upset me too. Peacefully taking a knee to make a statement about social injustices in our country is very mild.

As for keeping politics and sports separate, these athletes have the opportunity and platform to make a difference. They're more visible and people listen. I much prefer their way of peaceful protest as opposed to the violent nature of many other groups that protest, but seem to get support. A black man takes a knee at a ballgame and people loose their shit. A white dude in a mask beats the shit out of a Trump supporter and he's expressing his right to free speech and doing what's right. I don't understand this world.
I have more respect for players willing to take a stand, even if I disagree with them than I do for those who will just tow the company line and wouldn't speak up for what's right if it means losing a pay check. They're given an extremely unique opportunity that very few ordinary citizens  ever get and that is to speak up to a much broader audience and  make a real difference in the world in which we live. 
I remember people such as Mohammed Ali taking a stand against war and sending young men off to die for an unjust war. He suffered, went to prison and had his title stripped away and somehow football players standing up  against injustice is somehow wrong?
 Players taking a stand against police killing unarmed citizens is in no way unpatriotic unless your patriotism is somehow linked to killing your fellow citizens. 
I don't get all choked up over flags and songs. I get all choked up when I know my countrymen and women are being killed for no good reason. I get all choked up when I know that the land of the free has the highest incarceration rate in the world and I do get all choked up when I see young men getting paid millions of dollars willing to risk losing it all to make sure our nation becomes a better place . That's what I get all choked up about and before you go waving flags at me and my kind my father, both my brothers, a sister and myself all have honorable discharges from the United States armed forces. We served our country. I'm going to the VA this week for treatment. I respect people who put their own lives and earnings on the line, but have very little respect for people who wrap themselves in the flag and pretend that they speak for me . They don't .
And just for the record the entertainment industry in has long been involved in service to this nation. The football industry is a part of the entertainment industry.
I’m curious as to if there are people here that support the political protest but at the same time are against any political conversations on the board. I don’t reallget that stance.
My two cents is football is a job, not a political forum nor a circus arena to show your azz and ask for more money like certain Steelers and bleached blondes are doing here lately. As with any other job, there are and/or should be rules and standards, and if you don't like them find another job. Joe Lawyer who's on the bottom of the list can't wear his cowboy boots to court because he thinks they're cool, or he will be unemployed. The line worker at a ham plant can't wear his football cap or hat protesting something when he's supposed to be wearing a hard hat. Nascar "workers" get it, and nobody has to tell them. Protesting is fine, but in the right venue on your own time. These are kids, lest we forget; just out of college, and if they're lucky they may have this job for ten years or so, respect it while you have it, at their age they don't know what they believe, geez, I championed Jimmy Carter at that age, but not at work. While at work, I worked, and worked hard, it's kinda what companies expect. Half our jobs are in China because people over here forgot how to work hard. If anyone should respect the job, it should be NFL players, with a 465k minimum salary for unproven rookies. All that said, I agree with someone else who said we shouldn't worry about Reid until when/if he becomes a problem. Right now, we could use a good safety, and he just might be the guy, so welcome should you choose the Bengals, it would be one more free agent surprise to add to the growing list like we've never seen before.
If another human being decides to kneel during the anthem and you are offended by it, you are an extremely thin skinned person. You should probably pour some of that energy into things that actually affect the well-being of others. 
(04-11-2018, 08:09 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: If another human being decides to kneel during the anthem and you are offended by it, you are an extremely thin skinned person. You should probably pour some of that energy into things that actually affect the well-being of others. 

Like serving your country? I've seen some of my closest friends die for the flag. Those guys had families, friends, etc... Personally I am not offended by it, but certainly not something I would call thin skinned if you're upset about it. To a lot of people who seen lives lost, unfathomable amount of time invested into training, and the brotherhood you share... it's something you take extremely personally like your family/kids.
(04-11-2018, 08:06 AM)Bengalsrob Wrote: My two cents is football is a job, not a political forum nor a circus arena to show your azz and ask for more money like certain Steelers and bleached blondes are doing here lately. As with any other job, there are and/or should be rules and standards, and if you don't like them find another job. Joe Lawyer who's on the bottom of the list can't wear his cowboy boots to court because he thinks they're cool, or he will be unemployed. The line worker at a ham plant can't wear his football cap or hat protesting something when he's supposed to be wearing a hard hat. Nascar "workers" get it, and nobody has to tell them. Protesting is fine, but in the right venue on your own time. These are kids, lest we forget; just out of college, and if they're lucky they may have this job for ten years or so, respect it while you have it, at their age they don't know what they believe, geez, I championed Jimmy Carter at that age, but not at work. While at work, I worked, and worked hard, it's kinda what companies expect. Half our jobs are in China because people over here forgot how to work hard. If anyone should respect the job, it should be NFL players, with a 465k minimum salary for unproven rookies. All that said, I agree with someone else who said we shouldn't worry about Reid until when/if he becomes a problem. Right now, we could use a good safety, and he just might be the guy, so welcome should you choose the Bengals, it would be one more free agent surprise to add to the growing list like we've never seen before.

Politics aside, I don't think jobs moving to China had anything to do with the quality of the American worker.

In fact, one of the biggest gripes with labor done in China and India is how low quality it is.

It's the cost that really made the jobs leave America.

Turns out, when you can pay someone a 1 dollar per hour to make shoes it doesn't really matter if the American, who has a minimum wage of 8 to 10 dollars per hour, can do the job better or not.
(04-10-2018, 07:57 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: You are totally right about the media. Their agenda only causes more hate and divide, they know this and still do it. Here’s an easy example.. More whites than blacks get killed by cops. Do any of those deaths get pushed by the media? If twice as many whites get killed by cops but the black deaths get like 50 times more media coverage... Why is this?  These protesters go off of what the media pushes as top stories vs. actual numbers. I just can’t figure out why the media wants hate between races. It’s both sad and sickening.

It's the old Divide and Conquer.....follow the money, you'll find out why. :andy:

"Better send those refunds..."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/11/kneeling-issue-arises-during-bengals-meeting-with-eric-reid/

Over the years, the Bengals have looked the other way on a variety of actual and alleged criminal activities when signing, drafting, and/or keeping players. When it comes to one specific type of conduct that is neither illegal nor a violation of any applicable rule or provision of the relationship between the NFL and its players, that could be where Bengals owner Mike Brown draws the line.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Brown personally met with Reid when Reid visited the Bengals on Monday. Brown, according to the source, initiated discussion regarding the issue of kneeling during the anthem. The conversation almost exclusively centered on the topic, with Brown explaining that he intends to prohibit it — and with Brown at one point asking Reid for his response.

Reid, caught off guard by the line of questioning, wasn’t willing to make a commitment on the spot. Last month, Reid said he’s currently not planning to kneel or otherwise demonstrate during the anthem. But Reid, who is considering other options for bringing attention to societal issues he considers to be important, hasn’t made any final decisions, and he wasn’t willing to do so at the direct request and behest of Brown.

After the meeting with Brown, Reid took a physical and spent time reviewing film with members of the coaching staff. He developed a clear sense that the coaches (specifically, defensive coordinator Teryl Austin) were interested in signing Reid and weren’t concerned about whether he’d kneel or otherwise demonstrate during the anthem or at any other time. Late in the visit, however, coach Marvin Lewis asked Reid if he wants to clarify anything that Reid told ownership regarding the anthem. Reid said that he had no clarifications or changes to make to what he had said, and the visit ended not long after that without an offer being made to Reid.

Reached for comment by PFT regarding the alleged interactions between Brown and Reid, the Bengals provided the following statement: “The Club conducts many interviews with players throughout the year. The Club views these interviews as confidential and does not comment on them.”
(04-11-2018, 08:27 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Politics aside, I don't think jobs moving to China had anything to do with the quality of the American worker.

In fact, one of the biggest gripes with labor done in China and India is how low quality it is.

It's the cost that really made the jobs leave America.

Turns out, when you can pay someone a 1 dollar per hour to make shoes it doesn't really matter if the American, who has a minimum wage of 8 to 10 dollars per hour, can do the job better or not.

Abso-damn-lutely.  You beat me to it.

"Better send those refunds..."

(04-10-2018, 07:57 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: You are totally right about the media. Their agenda only causes more hate and divide, they know this and still do it. Here’s an easy example.. More whites than blacks get killed by cops. Do any of those deaths get pushed by the media? If twice as many whites get killed by cops but the black deaths get like 50 times more media coverage... Why is this?  These protesters go off of what the media pushes as top stories vs. actual numbers. I just can’t figure out why the media wants hate between races. It’s both sad and sickening.

What is that metric's relation to the percentage of races among the population?

Because twice as many whites dying when they are 60% of the population vs 10% black, for example, would still mean more blacks per Capita are being killed by the cops.

Now, if that's adjusted for population percentage, that's another thing.

And, to dive a little deeper, what percentage of those white deaths were unarmed? And what for blacks?
(04-11-2018, 10:52 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/11/kneeling-issue-arises-during-bengals-meeting-with-eric-reid/

Over the years, the Bengals have looked the other way on a variety of actual and alleged criminal activities when signing, drafting, and/or keeping players. When it comes to one specific type of conduct that is neither illegal nor a violation of any applicable rule or provision of the relationship between the NFL and its players, that could be where Bengals owner Mike Brown draws the line.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Brown personally met with Reid when Reid visited the Bengals on Monday. Brown, according to the source, initiated discussion regarding the issue of kneeling during the anthem. The conversation almost exclusively centered on the topic, with Brown explaining that he intends to prohibit it — and with Brown at one point asking Reid for his response.

Reid, caught off guard by the line of questioning, wasn’t willing to make a commitment on the spot. Last month, Reid said he’s currently not planning to kneel or otherwise demonstrate during the anthem. But Reid, who is considering other options for bringing attention to societal issues he considers to be important, hasn’t made any final decisions, and he wasn’t willing to do so at the direct request and behest of Brown.

After the meeting with Brown, Reid took a physical and spent time reviewing film with members of the coaching staff. He developed a clear sense that the coaches (specifically, defensive coordinator Teryl Austin) were interested in signing Reid and weren’t concerned about whether he’d kneel or otherwise demonstrate during the anthem or at any other time. Late in the visit, however, coach Marvin Lewis asked Reid if he wants to clarify anything that Reid told ownership regarding the anthem. Reid said that he had no clarifications or changes to make to what he had said, and the visit ended not long after that without an offer being made to Reid.

Reached for comment by PFT regarding the alleged interactions between Brown and Reid, the Bengals provided the following statement: “The Club conducts many interviews with players throughout the year. The Club views these interviews as confidential and does not comment on them.”

1. I now appreciate Mike Brown a little more than I did yesterday.
2. Eric Reid and his people obviously leaked this, especially given how much detail there is to the report, 1 day after the visit was even reported.
3. Looks like we dodged a bullet with this wannabe Che Guevara. 
4. And these guys wonder why they don't get signed? Kaep's girl posting racist pics of the Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti before a planned visit, now Reid leaking details of his only visit.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(04-11-2018, 11:09 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. I now appreciate Mike Brown a little more than I did yesterday.
2. Eric Reid and his people obviously leaked this, especially given how much detail there is to the report, 1 day after the visit was even reported.
3. Looks like we dodged a bullet with this wannabe Che Guevara. 
4. And these guys wonder why they don't get signed? Kaep's girl posting racist pics of the Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti before a planned visit, now Reid leaking details of his only visit.

Looks like marvin tried to give him a chance to save himself a job.
and.... Mike Brown is now a headline.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-bengals-owner-plans-to-prohibit-anthem-protests/ar-AAvLVYd?ocid=spartandhp
(04-11-2018, 10:52 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/11/kneeling-issue-arises-during-bengals-meeting-with-eric-reid/

What?  Like he thought it would never come up?  His agent and his attorney should have had him well versed in his canned response to the questions that were inevitably going to be asked.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(04-11-2018, 12:28 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Looks like marvin tried to give him a chance to save himself a job.

This guy has to realize he can't have his cake and eat it too. The owners have as much right to deny him employment as he has a right to protest. 

Marv did throw him a life preserver. He just turned it down and is now complaining that he's drowning. Smh.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(04-11-2018, 02:10 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This guy has to realize he can't have his cake and eat it too. The owners have as much right to deny him employment as he has a right to protest. 

Marv did throw him a life preserver. He just turned it down and is now complaining that he's drowning. Smh.

I know right. It's crazy to think that actions have consequences.  :andy: