Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eric Reid is visiting the Bengals
(04-09-2018, 06:08 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Is/was the visit today or just officially scheduled?

Today, per this: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Report-Reid-to-visit/c4f3b71d-675b-44fa-ae8f-15047ea17eaf

Note that Hobson states not to expect anything soon, as the indication is the club is waiting until after the draft to sign any additional FAs. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 06:11 PM)pally Wrote: or trading one

Wouldn't mind trading Shawn just don't know how much value he would have.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 06:16 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Today, per this: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Report-Reid-to-visit/c4f3b71d-675b-44fa-ae8f-15047ea17eaf

Note that Hobson states not to expect anything soon, as the indication is the club is waiting until after the draft to sign any additional FAs. 

Sounds like we will sign him after the Draft, so yeah, will be awhile.

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 06:16 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Today, per this: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Report-Reid-to-visit/c4f3b71d-675b-44fa-ae8f-15047ea17eaf

Thanks!
My impatient side wants to hear they signed him today. But in reality it makes a lot of sense to wait. Anything can happen in the draft. I just wish it would get here already.

Reply/Quote
This is a reminder to keep all National Anthem Kneeling discussion in P&R
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 05:24 PM)Beaker Wrote: Why did SF let him go?

Injuries (Concussions), $$$ and he's been replaced.

I'd rather sign Tre Boston, but both are cover safeties. Tre just doesn't have the injury history.
Reply/Quote
I would be stoked with this offseason if they make this happen! Hopefully Hobspin is out of the loop and they actually get the deal done before he leaves town!
Reply/Quote
Strictly as a football move, I'd approve. He's a good player.

This kinda reminds me of Taylor Mays. Former 49er and capable of playing LB/safety hybrid. He's probably better than Taylor though.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Good player, but I have to wonder if the Bengals want him in the locker room.

Not sure if the pros outweigh the cons.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Pretty stoked to hear this. Bring him here and tell him to play ball.

Reply/Quote
Ehh, kinda hedging their bets that he'll still be on the market after he draft. If you think he'd be a good fit and it frees up a draft pick for another position, why let him leave the stadium without a deal?
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 08:01 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Ehh, kinda hedging their bets that he'll still be on the market after he draft.  If you think he'd be a good fit and it frees up a draft pick for another position, why let him leave the stadium without a deal?

Agreed. If they truly want him, letting him leave would be a huge mistake. There's bound to be another team out there that won't take a wait-and-see approach over the next few weeks.
Reply/Quote
Obviously I'd love the pick up. This is from way back in January:
http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Which-ONE-player-would-you?highlight=eric+reid

smartestmanalive Wrote:I really like Morgan Burnett when he came out of College; however, he is pushing 29 years old. So if I get to wish give me Eric Reid. A more realistic option would be another bfine fav coming out of College tre Boss-10
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 08:07 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Agreed. If they truly want him, letting him leave would be a huge mistake. There's bound to be another team out there that won't take a wait-and-see approach over the next few weeks.

The only reason I see would be maybe the FO already has a safety in mind from the draft, and they want to see how that plays out. Then again, it's still daylight out, so maybe he signs up at dinner tonight  Wink
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 08:01 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Ehh, kinda hedging their bets that he'll still be on the market after he draft. If you think he'd be a good fit and it frees up a draft pick for another position, why let him leave the stadium without a deal?

My guess is that they hope to be able to free up some cap space after the draft. For example, if one of the top DE’s fall to them at 21, maybe they grab him and cut Micheal Johnson. Now all the sudden you can afford Reid.

Or what if Derwin James is somehow there at 21? Or Ronnie Harrison is there at 46? Then maybe you don’t need Reid?

Lots of variables. And my guess is money is the number one variable.

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 08:01 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Ehh, kinda hedging their bets that he'll still be on the market after he draft.  If you think he'd be a good fit and it frees up a draft pick for another position, why let him leave the stadium without a deal?

I agree but I'm wondering if it has to do with affecting their compensatory picks for 2019. Shortly after the draft, any free agents signed don't have any affect on compensatory draft picks, whereas if they signed him now it would take away a possible pick. The Bengals seem to go after those picks every year.

That being said, none of the Bengals free agents signed any huge contracts this offseason and they only look to only be in line for some 6th round picks based on this site.
https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

There's been a lot of talk about the soft free agency market for safeties this offseason; I wonder how much signing Reid would cost... it could potentially be a bargain signing for a decent player. 
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 08:12 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: The only reason I see would be maybe the FO already has a safety in mind from the draft, and they want to see how that plays out. Then again, it's still daylight out, so maybe he signs up at dinner tonight  Wink

I agree, there is a target in the draft that will tip the dominoes one way or the other.

Reply/Quote
Video 
I know Hobspin said if we sign anyone it wont be till after the draft but I swear that Ian Rappaport said he wouldn't be surprised if a deal was done by the end of the visit. Hopefully that's the case.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 08:01 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Ehh, kinda hedging their bets that he'll still be on the market after he draft. If you think he'd be a good fit and it frees up a draft pick for another position, why let him leave the stadium without a deal?

This is their strategy and it’s a dumb one. Either you like Reid enough to sign him now, or you just plan on drafting a safety high. Hedging your bets that he’s going to be around in 3 weeks is silly. So far this is his first official visit, but i doubt we’re the first team to show interest. Clearly Reid is interested in being here. When Hobson writes stuff like this it really makes me despise the guy.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 08:44 PM)whodey4life84 Wrote: I know Hobspin said if we sign anyone it wont be till after the draft but I sweat that Ian Rappaport said he wouldn't be surprised if a deal was done by the end of the visit. Hopefully that's the case.

They could always go the route of "agreeing to a deal in principle", and hope that he doesn't shop it with other teams.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote