Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eric Weddle?
He was cut by Baltimore. He turned 34 in January, but did make the Pro Bowl the last 3 years. Could use him, Williams, and Bates as a 3 safety look. Interested in him as a veteran presence for the back end of the defense. Tony Jefferson said this about Weddle: "Undeniable amount of respect I have for him. He changed my whole outlook about football & life. I can't stop working out or watching film bc this guy showed me how to be a pro." I would love that kind of mentality for some of the younger players on the defense.
Reply/Quote
Much rather invest in a young top free agent linebacker then on a 34 year old safety on a retooling team. I agree with your assessment of Weddle always respected him as a player but he’s not a fit for us. We have way bigger needs and were looking pretty good at safety thought Bates had a very good rookie year and has a bright future. Willams had 5 ints last season.
Reply/Quote
if he's cheap and a rotational backup sure why not.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2019, 03:30 PM)Okeana Wrote: if he's cheap and a rotational backup sure why not.

This.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If he passes a physical I'd love to sign him. If we re-sign Dennard also then the secondary would be the most solid part of the defense. He might be reaching the end but he could help Bates reach his potential.

Reply/Quote
Again, not sure people's rush to get Williams off the field. I doubt he comes here to be a back up, someone in a much worse situation will bring him in to let him start. If he will be a back up making back up money sure.
Reply/Quote
If the moneys right I don’t see an issue. Doesn’t sound like a bad guy to influence rookies. Plus, although it seems Merv had Baltimore’s number and knew how to beat them, Zac does not have the same knowledge of the Ravens. Might be able to contribute there too.

Reply/Quote
If on a one year deal, MAYBE, but this seems like it would be another one of those signings where we get all hyped up (just like the front office wanted us to) for a guy past his prime (like we did with Dexter Jackson) and end up disappointed.

I'd like to give these new coaches young guys that they can mold into their system and coach them to be Pro Bowl players.

It's a new era in Cincinnati!

That said, maybe a one year deal as a rotational guy, but I'd still like to bring in someone younger or even draft a safety.
Reply/Quote
We're fairly set at safety with Fej as the 3rd Safety. I don't see Weddle coming here.
Reply/Quote