Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eric Weddle More concerned about winner than Money.
If the Bengals can only manage to re-sign either Nelson or Iloka, Weddle if healthy would be a great pick up.
There was a bleacher report today, talking about how Weddle wabts to play for a team with a good chance of winning more than getting paid.
[Image: 2qGWGd.png]
Reply/Quote
If we lose Iloka id like to see us take a run at Weddle.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 12:08 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: If we lose Iloka id like to see us take a run at Weddle.

Me took, because they are saying he may go to Pittsburgh.
Reply/Quote
I'd take a run at him....as others said, especially if you lose Iloka...or even Nelson.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Weddle is a good choice but I say for Illoka only. He is getting up in age and played more strong safety last year. He is well rounded just worried that DBs lose their speed real quick.
Reply/Quote
I never liked Weddle.... He is a pretty good player, but I just don't like the guy in general. He is a pretty feisty player too, add him to Cinci and he will be the dirtiest thing since Burfict and Jones lol
Reply/Quote
Wouldn't Weddle cost as much, if not more than Iloka?

Give the money to George. He is much younger.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 03:09 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I never liked Weddle.... He is a pretty good player, but I just don't like the guy in general. He is a pretty feisty player too, add him to Cinci and he will be the dirtiest thing since Burfict and Jones lol

Sign him. Tongue

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 03:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Wouldn't Weddle cost as much, if not more than Iloka?

Give the money to George.  He is much younger.

I would think his age *might* make him cheaper....and shorter terms.  I'd rather have Iloka, but he didn't seem too enthused about returning.

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 12:13 PM)Au165 Wrote: Me took, because they are saying he may go to Pittsburgh.

Very, very doubtful.  They have no room to add him cap-wise.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 04:13 PM)Wyche Wrote: I would think his age *might* make him cheaper....and shorter terms.  I'd rather have Iloka, but he didn't seem too enthused about returning.

Like you said, I would much rather have George on a 5 year deal, more than anything.  However, Weddle on a 2 year deal, would be an acceptable safety net, if a deal with Iloka cannot be reached. 

Quick question, is Iloka tag eligible?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 03:09 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I never liked Weddle.... He is a pretty good player, but I just don't like the guy in general. He is a pretty feisty player too, add him to Cinci and he will be the dirtiest thing since Burfict and Jones lol

So, in your opinion, the guy is good, AND plays with a chip on his shoulder.  What's not to like about that?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 07:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Like you said, I would much rather have George on a 5 year deal, more than anything.  However, Weddle on a 2 year deal, would be an acceptable safety net, if a deal with Iloka cannot be reached. 

Quick question, is Iloka tag eligible?

Yes, but the tag is projected to be $10.7m for safeties.

Iloka is simply not a $10m+ safety. Not even sure he's an $7-8m safety (at least for the Bengals) considering he was down for at least 4.5 games in 2015 and Williams filled in without the defense suffering.

George Iloka in 645 defensive snaps: 47 tackles, 4 Pdef, 1 INT
Shawn Williams in 474 defensive snaps: 32 tackles, 5 Pdef, 2 INT

Roll with Nelson and Williams, and draft a safety in the 4th or 5th for depth.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2016, 12:23 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yes, but the tag is projected to be $10.7m for safeties.

Iloka is simply not a $10m+ safety. Not even sure he's an $7-8m safety (at least for the Bengals) considering he was down for at least 4.5 games in 2015 and Williams filled in without the defense suffering.

George Iloka in 645 defensive snaps: 47 tackles, 4 Pdef, 1 INT
Shawn Williams in 474 defensive snaps: 32 tackles, 5 Pdef, 2 INT

Roll with Nelson and Williams, and draft a safety in the 4th or 5th for depth.

If I were a betting man, I'd say the Bengals will transition tag Iloka.  I can't recall them ever spending big money on a safety, so if they don't deem him a 10M player they will let him find his own deal.  This basically puts the ball in George's court to actually sign the dotted line for another team and Cincy can match if they want, though they lose him for nothing if not.  I believe he would still factor into a comp pick count.  As for chasing Weddle, I think it's a win/win.  Iloka and Nelson's agents will see that Cincy won't be an option for one of them if Weddle signs.  If Weddle signs a reasonable two year deal, then Cincy has insurance to not have to pay top dollar for their own guy (or another FA) or have to draft one or two very high.    
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2016, 01:46 AM)phil413 Wrote: If I were a betting man, I'd say the Bengals will transition tag Iloka.  I can't recall them ever spending big money on a safety, so if they don't deem him a 10M player they will let him find his own deal.  This basically puts the ball in George's court to actually sign the dotted line for another team and Cincy can match if they want, though they lose him for nothing if not.  I believe he would still factor into a comp pick count.  As for chasing Weddle, I think it's a win/win.  Iloka and Nelson's agents will see that Cincy won't be an option for one of them if Weddle signs.  If Weddle signs a reasonable two year deal, then Cincy has insurance to not have to pay top dollar for their own guy (or another FA) or have to draft one or two very high.    

I suppose I wouldn't be against that for Iloka. At least then you get to see what he'd sign for and decide then. If you don't, nothing lost.

I'm really not so sure about Weddle though. His declining coverage stats kind of worry me.

2011: 11 Pdef, 7 INT
2012: 9 Pdef, 3 INT
2013: 9 Pdef, 2 INT
2014: 8 Pdef, 1 INT
2015: 6 Pdef, 0 INT

I know he's still a good safety, but I don't know. You already have Nelson performing at a high level, in the system, knowing the scheme. I wouldn't overpay Nelson, but I do think it'd be best to keep him, pair him up with Williams, and then draft a safety in the 4th or so.

Not to mention I think it's a moot point because....
https://www.playerline.com/nfl/newsitem/espn's=coley=harvey=expects=the=bengals=to=re=sign=free=agent=reggie=nelson.?$deeplink_path=newsitem-1984991&$fallback_url=http://www.playerline.com/nfl/newsitem/espn%2527s%253Dcoley%253Dharvey%253Dexpects%253Dthe%253Dbengals%253Dto%253Dre%253Dsign%253Dfree%253Dagent%253Dreggie%253Dnelson.&_branch_match_id=227382905796626493

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2016, 03:19 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I suppose I wouldn't be against that for Iloka. At least then you get to see what he'd sign for and decide then. If you don't, nothing lost.

I'm really not so sure about Weddle though. His declining coverage stats kind of worry me.

2011: 11 Pdef, 7 INT
2012: 9 Pdef, 3 INT
2013: 9 Pdef, 2 INT
2014: 8 Pdef, 1 INT
2015: 6 Pdef, 0 INT

I know he's still a good safety, but I don't know. You already have Nelson performing at a high level, in the system, knowing the scheme. I wouldn't overpay Nelson, but I do think it'd be best to keep him, pair him up with Williams, and then draft a safety in the 4th or so.

Not to mention I think it's a moot point because....
https://www.playerline.com/nfl/newsitem/espn's=coley=harvey=expects=the=bengals=to=re=sign=free=agent=reggie=nelson.?$deeplink_path=newsitem-1984991&$fallback_url=http://www.playerline.com/nfl/newsitem/espn%2527s%253Dcoley%253Dharvey%253Dexpects%253Dthe%253Dbengals%253Dto%253Dre%253Dsign%253Dfree%253Dagent%253Dreggie%253Dnelson.&_branch_match_id=227382905796626493
First off, that's great news you brought and I'm hope they end up getting a deal done.  Its funny that I've learned to trust the FO with a signing like this as I know they won't lump a bunch of guaranteed money into a deal and have dead money to pay when he's 36.  Weddle wouldn't be a target over the other two, but the byproduct of persuing him at least puts on heat on getting numbers to either match or move on.  As for Weddle the player, he was given too big of a deal that he isn't worth today but his a stable starter.  If you look at the situation he was in and as in now, you can see that the decline in stats isn't due totally to age and the Pdef/Int stats aren't absolutes in rating DBs.  I'm not even saying I know what is now adays it's beyond me, I'm sure someone does something similar to a zone rating in baseball (what is it with us and baseball references) but when you consider the players around him in the secondary and the rush he's somewhere in the middle of those stats really.  Crafty and a solid defender but not someone you put on man coverage vs a starting WR, or good TE.  He's a fallback you'd use for leverage, though if Williams had a good enough camp maybe he beats him out.  The key is they have to have options not to force you to draft one and try to start one early.  Hopefully they get that Nelson deal done quick, transition Iloka and when his agent sees the dream offers aren't coming then they get a deal done.  Cincy has a history of seeing contracts through, and he isn't a flash in the pan so slightly increase the guaranteed money and make it a four or five year deal with a bit lower base salary.   
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 12:08 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: If we lose Iloka id like to see us take a run at Weddle.

I agree, would be a great addition.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 03:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Wouldn't Weddle cost as much, if not more than Iloka?

Give the money to George.  He is much younger.

100% agree but Iloka may want to leave.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote