Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Erickson AND/OR Tate??
We need depth at slot. Boyd will be at the top of that depth chart, but he lost time last year do to injury. AJ's lost time in the past. It happens, and we have seen what happens if you don't have depth at WR (and elsewhere). No matter who wins the return jobs, we need depth there, too. I'd keep Erikson over Core.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2018, 02:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Core...

I see both Erickson and Tate making it after today. Erickson made more catches then anyone and one great catch.

Tate catches everything and will just make Touchdowns. Touchdowns win games, Auden Tate is a keeper.

Really liked Core's upside with his size, speed and physicality but he just doesn't go up for the ball like these guys.

Erickson is just seeming gritty, hard to get rid of these types of players. He is doing it as a Receiver, that is what we need.

Yeah, we haven't heard a word about Core but he does play on coverage units.  Special teams are a big question mark with the rule changes, however.  

I hope Core gets a real shot in the preseason as I remember two years ago how he finished when given the opportunity and I don't believe AJ Green was even on the field....but I could be wrong.  

Erickson seems a lot like a guy the Patriots would covet...and might offer a late round pick for him. 
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2018, 05:43 PM)Brimey Wrote: Core had some good games at the end of 2016... Bummer that didn't translate into ANYTHING in 2017.

I see Lafell being cut, especially if they're confident Malone can be the number 2.

I know it is just an excuse, but he got injured right as preseason started last year.  He had actually looked very good in camp and was going to get a shot.  Horrible timing. 
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2018, 04:28 AM)Shady Wrote: We need depth at slot. Boyd will be at the top of that depth chart, but he lost time last year do to injury. AJ's lost time in the past. It happens, and we have seen what happens if you don't have depth at WR (and elsewhere). No matter who wins the return jobs, we need depth there, too. I'd keep Erikson over Core.

Pure speculation here, but I wonder if the staff isn't giving Erickson a serious look at replacing LaFell on the depth chart. He seems to be getting enough snaps so far to show how he's progressing. LaFell's experience might be difficult to replace, but Erickson has been around long enough to start bridging that gap. And he doesn't seem to leave anything on the field. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2018, 06:16 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Erickson seems a lot like a guy the Patriots would covet...and might offer a late round pick for him. 

Right, because the Patriots know how to pick good players who are underutilized by their respective teams. Now granted, I think the reason Erickson got so few passes his way last year is because Andy never had time to get through his progressions long enough to get to him, but when he did, Erickson was always solid with the receptions.
Reply/Quote
I don't think we can screw this up. But, I see Core as #1 to be cut, Erickson 2nd and Lafell a long shot to be cut.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2018, 09:03 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Right, because the Patriots know how to pick good players who are underutilized by their respective teams. Now granted, I think the reason Erickson got so few passes his way last year is because Andy never had time to get through his progressions long enough to get to him, but when he did, Erickson was always solid with the receptions.

I agree that Erickson could be a valuable weapon if the blocking schematic improves.  Having Ross step up and take the proverbial top off the defense would help open the underneath for the slot WRs and TEs as well.  The Bengals haven't had that kind of synergy since Henry and Chad were outside and TJ got a ton of targets underneath.  They didn't even have a good TE then but that offense was tough to stop.  

I just hope and pray Ross gets the nod over Lafell and Lafell is a back up or released.  
Reply/Quote
I've never been a big fan of LaFell. I, personally would keep Erickson and Tate, and cut LaFell. I know I'm gonna' catch some crap for that, but that's my opinion.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2018, 02:48 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Disagree with this. Malone has really not shown us anything on the game field. Erikson is always a dependable catch. Alex's biggest problem is that Andy never had enough time getting through his progressions to get to him. When he did, Erickson came up with the big catches. Malone may be better on paper, but he hasn't shown anything near as good on game day as Erickson.

Agree with you.  Erickson is a clutch receiver.  That's worth his staying right there.  Brady thrives on having a stable of clutch receivers.  Can't have too many.

And I agree with Nate, as much as I like his abilities - especially on STs, I think Erickson's the more valuable player.  He's just a mentally tough dude.
Reply/Quote
And I'm not dogging Malone, I think he will be a fine player as well. My expectation is that Cody Core is the guy on the chopping block....
Reply/Quote
Believe it is a big camp for Core and he must show up big to make roster.

Erickson although not great, still see him making cut per ST.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2018, 06:16 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yeah, we haven't heard a word about Core but he does play on coverage units.  Special teams are a big question mark with the rule changes, however.  

I hope Core gets a real shot in the preseason as I remember two years ago how he finished when given the opportunity and I don't believe AJ Green was even on the field....but I could be wrong.  

Erickson seems a lot like a guy the Patriots would covet...and might offer a late round pick for him. 

Good point about the Pats, they do like those gritty Slot guys, Erickson is a lot like that.

(07-30-2018, 06:29 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: Pure speculation here, but I wonder if the staff isn't giving Erickson a serious look at replacing LaFell on the depth chart. He seems to be getting enough snaps so far to show how he's progressing. LaFell's experience might be difficult to replace, but Erickson has been around long enough to start bridging that gap. And he doesn't seem to leave anything on the field. 

Do see the change happening, Lafell as Marv said is definately feeling the heat.

Pretty clear who the best WR has been so far in camp and it has not been our Hall of Famer...

(07-30-2018, 09:03 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Right, because the Patriots know how to pick good players who are underutilized by their respective teams. Now granted, I think the reason Erickson got so few passes his way last year is because Andy never had time to get through his progressions long enough to get to him, but when he did, Erickson was always solid with the receptions.

Have to have time, cannot judge the Wideouts or Running Backs with terrible blocking, they have no chance.

(07-30-2018, 10:00 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I agree that Erickson could be a valuable weapon if the blocking schematic improves.  Having Ross step up and take the proverbial top off the defense would help open the underneath for the slot WRs and TEs as well.  The Bengals haven't had that kind of synergy since Henry and Chad were outside and TJ got a ton of targets underneath.  They didn't even have a good TE then but that offense was tough to stop.  

I just hope and pray Ross gets the nod over Lafell and Lafell is a back up or released.  

Ross opens everything up, Boyd could have a great year just feasting in the middle.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2018, 01:29 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Believe it is a big camp for Core and he must show up big to make roster.

Erickson although not great, still see him making cut per ST.

Agree with Core, he has shown he can play but never seems to put it together all at once or stay healthy.... Kind of like my golf game right now..

Erickson will make the team, not sure of the hate on the site for him? He runs precise routes, catches pretty much everything and can break the long one on KOs.... Sure he isn't PacMAn on punts, but not to many are.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2018, 02:39 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Erickson will make the team, not sure of the hate on the site for him? He runs precise routes, catches pretty much everything and can break the long one on KOs.... Sure he isn't PacMAn on punts, but not to many are.

Sorta' reminds me of Jordan Shipley.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2018, 02:39 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Agree with Core, he has shown he can play but never seems to put it together all at once or stay healthy.... Kind of like my golf game right now..

Erickson will make the team, not sure of the hate on the site for him? He runs precise routes, catches pretty much everything and can break the long one on KOs.... Sure he isn't PacMAn on punts, but not to many are.

The hate on Erickson comes from him putting the ball on the field too much last year as a Returner.

He needs to clean that stuff up. But as a Receiver he has always been pretty solid and most notably clutch.

(07-30-2018, 02:43 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Sorta' reminds me of Jordan Shipley.

I can see that and it isn't just cause they are both white lol
Reply/Quote
i think Andy Dalton had ample enough time to go through his progessions last year.
PFF had him.offically for 10 knockdowns.
I hear claims that Erickson was a good route runner in 2017.
but the numbers say he was only targeted 16 times in 16 games. and yes had 12 catches. so his hands are really reliable.
what i see is that Erickson has trouble seperating from defenders hence the low targets.
and if protection does break down Erickson has to learn to break off a route and come back to Dalton
in return game Erickson has done very little. his ypr dropped by 7.0
i hope he has improved this year. but the simple fact is that hes made plays when it didnt matter aka preseason.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2018, 05:09 PM)impactplaya Wrote: i think Andy Dalton had ample enough time to go through his progessions last year.

Are you kidding??? Did you watch any of the games last year? Andy has the 2nd fastest release in the league and was running for his life on every play....
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2018, 11:32 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Ross should be number 2 I believe.  Boyd should be slot.  

I was afraid that if I actually typed that, I would jinx the camp he's been having and he'd end up having 0 catches again
Reply/Quote
from what ive been reading the Only WRs not turning heads so far as been Core and Lafell..

Lafell Is not a lock to make this roster.

But Malone had a hammy which wont help him in the battle to come
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2018, 06:04 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: from what ive been reading the Only WRs not turning heads so far as been Core and Lafell..

I would be ok if they went with the AJ, Ross, Boyd, Erickson, Malone, and Tate. Assuming Tate continues to impress during camp and in preseason.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote