Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Estimated cap space article
http://www.cincyjungle.com/salary-cap-cba/2015/6/5/8737961/bengals-salary-cap-space-between-17-5-million-and-18-5-million

They use 3 different sources, all with different (but relatively close) numbers.

I found it interesting, as they listed the 20 highest paid Bengals, and noticed that Huber is 14th.  Our punter really makes 2.77M? Shocked
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2015, 04:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: http://www.cincyjungle.com/salary-cap-cba/2015/6/5/8737961/bengals-salary-cap-space-between-17-5-million-and-18-5-million

They use 3 different sources, all with different (but relatively close) numbers.

I found it interesting, as they listed the 20 highest paid Bengals, and noticed that Huber is 14th.  Our punter really makes 2.77M? Shocked

Well he is one of the best punters in the game and a punter can absolutely be a weapon.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2015, 04:51 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Well he is one of the best punters in the game and a punter can absolutely be a weapon.

Considering his '14 salary, he was the 10th highest cap hit for punters in the NFL. Looks like the Bengals got a bit of a bargain there compared to his talent.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2015, 04:51 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Well he is one of the best punters in the game and a punter can absolutely be a weapon.

(06-06-2015, 04:54 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Considering his '14 salary, he was the 10th highest cap hit for punters in the NFL. Looks like the Bengals got a bit of a bargain there compared to his talent.

Wow, I must be out of touch.  I had no idea that punters were paid that well. 

It just sort of surprised me to see the punter, as the 14th highest salary.

Anyway, what struck me to even post that article was that estimates show the Bengals having 17.5-18.5M in cap space. 

Many seemed disappointed in the Bengals Free Agency period activities.  As we all know, the second free agency period will begin in August, as veterans start getting cut to make space for rookies that look like they are going to pan out.

On the other hand, the Bengals have a ton of players that are coming due next year.  That money could be used to sew up a couple of those guys.

Any guesses as to what the money will actually go toward?  (save the "in Mike Brown's pocket" comments, as we already know that part)

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Seems like we have plenty of room to sign the guys we want to sign.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2015, 05:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Wow, I must be out of touch.  I had no idea that punters were paid that well. 

It just sort of surprised me to see the punter, as the 14th highest salary.

Anyway, what struck me to even post that article was that estimates show the Bengals having 17.5-18.5M in cap space. 

Many seemed disappointed in the Bengals Free Agency period activities.  As we all know, the second free agency period will begin in August, as veterans start getting cut to make space for rookies that look like they are going to pan out.

On the other hand, the Bengals have a ton of players that are coming due next year.  That money could be used to sew up a couple of those guys.

Any guesses as to what the money will actually go toward?  (save the "in Mike Brown's pocket" comments, as we already know that part)

AJ, Whit, Zeitler are the top priorities I would think....Zeitler will be questionable....We just drafted Fisher which could play RG...also have Hopkins from last year that they were very high on and I think he got hurt??.......Some people thought OL in the first 2 rounds was dumb but I have always said that you cannot have too many OL...We secured depth and future in 2 picks....  
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2015, 05:22 PM)J24 Wrote: Seems like we have plenty of room to sign the guys we want to sign.

i agree  Rock On
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2015, 05:29 PM)spazz70 Wrote: AJ, Whit, Zeitler are the top priorities I would think....Zeitler will be questionable....We just drafted Fisher which could play RG...also have Hopkins from last year that they were very high on and I think he got hurt??.......Some people thought OL in the first 2 rounds was dumb but I have always said that you cannot have too many OL...We secured depth and future in 2 picks....  

We got Zietler signed up for another year at least so I doubt he would be signed to a long term deal in August. The best bets are AJ, Iloka, Whit, and either Sanu or Jones. Doubt we sign Andre Smith though.
J24

Reply/Quote
(06-06-2015, 07:45 PM)J24 Wrote: We got Zietler signed up for another year at least so I doubt he would be signed to a long term deal in August. The best bets are AJ, Iloka, Whit, and either Sanu or Jones. Doubt we sign Andre Smith though.

I look for Iloka to be much more of a priority than some may think. If I am not mistaken he was near the top of the league in defending his side of the field last season. I really feel like Iloka is turning out to be the safety they have been seeking for many years now.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2015, 07:45 PM)J24 Wrote: We got Zietler signed up for another year at least so I doubt he would be signed to a long term deal in August. The best bets are AJ, Iloka, Whit, and either Sanu or Jones. Doubt we sign Andre Smith though.

I'm sure they want to lower his 2016 cap hit though with a long term deal.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2015, 05:22 PM)J24 Wrote: Seems like we have plenty of room to sign the guys we want to sign.

We always do. 
Reply/Quote

Someone already said it but that option put on Zeitler was just a show of good faith so they could negotiate long term...The Bengals will not pay him 8 million next year....That is why I said he was a priority...In case you did not know the Bengals can drop that option after the season (Super Bowl) and before the next league season starts (some time in March)...It is not guaranteed money.....AJ will be on his option this year..I would think that they will pay him his option if necessary since he is considered a top 10 WR and the money fits but I said him for obvious reasons being a priority....I would agree with Iloka, MLJ and others but IMO they can be replaced....Every other team in the NFL does it....The Bengals need to learn how to replace these mid tier guys without giving them overblown contracts
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2015, 04:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: http://www.cincyjungle.com/salary-cap-cba/2015/6/5/8737961/bengals-salary-cap-space-between-17-5-million-and-18-5-million

Here is a link to the NFL Players Association Public Salary Cap Report. This is the gospel...the others are all subject to spin form the writers. This is updated daily. This link was repeatedly deleted by the mods of you know where as I would post it! LOL!

Enjoy

https://www.nflpa.com/public-salary-cap-report
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2015, 12:45 PM)Rhinocero23 Wrote: Here is a link to the NFL Players Association Public Salary Cap Report. This is the gospel...the others are all subject to spin form the writers. This is updated daily. This link was repeatedly deleted by the mods of you know where as I would post it! LOL!

Enjoy

https://www.nflpa.com/public-salary-cap-report

One of the sources in the link that I posted was the NFLPA.

However, I do understand that the number is dynamic, and would explain the slight difference from the day that I posted.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2015, 12:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: One of the sources in the link that I posted was the NFLPA.

However, I do understand that the number is dynamic, and would explain the slight difference from the day that I posted.

I should have looked better...sorry! 

Good post topic!
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2015, 01:13 PM)Rhinocero23 Wrote: I should have looked better...sorry! 

Good post topic!

Don't feel badly, I went back to double check the article. ThumbsUp

So, how do you feel they should spend the money?

Personally, I would make extending Zeitler and Iloka the top two priorities.  I realize that the AJ Green megadeal is hanging overhead like an albatross..  I just see them tagging him, in hopes of achieving a team-friendly deal for the long term.

As for the rest of the money, I would really look at what veterans are getting cut (cap casualties, etc), in hopes of adding a starting quality LB to the mix.  I just don't feel comfortable with what we have on the roster, as long as Burfict is an unknown status.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I don't get why people want Whit resigned? He will be 34 at the end of this season. Do you really want to extend a 34 year old when we have 2 draft picks waiting in the wings at a much lower cost? I would rather resign Andre Smith for age reasons. I know that pff or whatever says he's (Whitworth) great but honestly when I watch him and I go back and watch the games I am able to record, I really am not impressed with him. He may not give up sacks but he sure as hell gives up a lot of pressures that are almost sacks if Dalton didn't get rid of the ball so fast. I honestly feel he was one of the weak links on our o-line. That's just me though..
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2015, 01:54 PM)whodey4life84 Wrote: I don't get why people want Whit resigned? He will be 34 at the end of this season. Do you really want to extend a 34 year old when we have 2 draft picks waiting in the wings at a much lower cost? I would rather resign Andre Smith for age reasons. I know that pff or whatever says he's (Whitworth) great but honestly when I watch him and I go back and watch the games I am able to record, I really am not impressed with him. He may not give up sacks but he sure as hell gives up a lot of pressures that are almost sacks if Dalton didn't get rid of the ball so fast. I honestly feel he was one of the weak links on our o-line. That's just me though..

This is why:

[Image: K4Svs2w.jpg]

Now, whether he'll be relatively close to this production this year is yet to be seen, but how dare your say the best LT in football was our "weak link"

Good God.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2015, 12:12 PM)spazz70 Wrote: Someone already said it but that option put on Zeitler was just a show of good faith so they could negotiate long term...The Bengals will not pay him 8 million next year....That is why I said he was a priority...In case you did not know the Bengals can drop that option after the season (Super Bowl) and before the next league season starts (some time in March)...It is not guaranteed money.....AJ will be on his option this year..I would think that they will pay him his option if necessary since he is considered a top 10 WR and the money fits but I said him for obvious reasons being a priority....I would agree with Iloka, MLJ and others but IMO they can be replaced....Every other team in the NFL does it....The Bengals need to learn how to replace these mid tier guys without giving them overblown contracts

Iloka is a very good player and needs to be signed  to long term deal. I agree that we won't be paying Zietler 8 million next year but we can work out a long term deal with next off season no need to do it now.
J24

Reply/Quote
(06-07-2015, 01:54 PM)whodey4life84 Wrote: I don't get why people want Whit resigned? He will be 34 at the end of this season. Do you really want to extend a 34 year old when we have 2 draft picks waiting in the wings at a much lower cost? I would rather resign Andre Smith for age reasons. I know that pff or whatever says he's (Whitworth) great but honestly when I watch him and I go back and watch the games I am able to record, I really am not impressed with him. He may not give up sacks but he sure as hell gives up a lot of pressures that are almost sacks if Dalton didn't get rid of the ball so fast. I honestly feel he was one of the weak links on our o-line. That's just me though..

Yes, I absolutely would extend Whit for 2 years.  Let him retire on his own terms, as a Bengal.

As far as Whit giving up pressures?  He's still ranked #1.  I'd say that you might want to get your eyes checked.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote