Poll: Continue to try and return or keep and move on?
Yes, Continue.
No, you’ve done enough.
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethical or not?
My wife and me do a lot of online shopping. Specially more since the holidays are here. One of the retailers we visit often sent us a package along with our order that, well, we didn’t order and they didn’t charge us for it. Since it arrived with a few more other packages we ordered from this retailer, she open the box and loved it, but explained to me she didn’t order. She wanted to keep it, but doing the right thing was more than keeping the product to her and me.

Today she called the retailer in hopes of them resolving the situation. We were on hold for 58 minutes and 54 seconds before I told her to finally hang up. Not to mention she tried to call them yesterday and was on hold for longer than her patience would allow.

Financially, we are not poor nor rolling in money either. However, with the efforts and time put in on trying to return are worth more than the cost of the item itself, is it ok to call it even and just keep it? It’s valued at $24.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I mean depending on how much you value your time your already spent more in time trying to return it than it's worth. Maybe just shoot them an email and leave it at that.
Reply/Quote
Keep it. Time = Money, and they don't seem to value yours.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Keep it. You tried.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
It's likely that the cost of shipping it back and fixing the issue will be more costly than them just sending refilling the order to the person that made it. You've made a good faith effort, that is enough in my book.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
As some of you have mentioned time, this is something I pondered while listening to that awful hold music. So while I'm sitting there I'm thinking, ok, so this is a second attempt and all in all, probably was on hold for 1.5hrs between both calls. So, either A). They probably should have staffed themselves properly for the holidays, or B). Maybe after so long of being on hold, my call was parked at an extension nobody was monitoring. So I took my hourly wage and her hourly wage and it was way more than the price of the item vs. the effort we had put into returning it. Yet, we had to try because it was actually an item she had almost purchased several times and even had in her cart once and removed. Had it been something neither of us wanted, the decision would have been much easier. Due to that fact, it became a question of ethics to both of us. Sometimes it can be very easy to convince yourself something is right, when it is not.

Reply/Quote
Something similar happened to me this year.....I got sent the same item twice.  After all of the hits I took financially this year, I saw it as a blessing and kept that shit. Tongue

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
About 8 years ago I ordered my son an AJ green jersey. I called the Bengals pro shop about 4 days after the package was to arrive at my house. Since it was a Christmas gift, they said they would send another and get to it us by Christmas. About 3 days later the original package finally arrived, so I called the pro shop again and the lady told me to just keep both jerseys....
Reply/Quote
Last year I ordered a nice Bengals pool table cover. When I received and opened, there was a small smudge of white smeared off the Bengals "B." I called and told them I would like to return and the same thing happened. They told me to keep it and sent a new one.

Reply/Quote
Something similar happened to my wife this year. She tried calling, and that turned into a waste of time. She sent an email, and was rewarded for her honesty by being told that she can keep the item if she likes it. I think they were goofy socks, our college bound daughter just loves crazy looking socks, especially the ones with the individual toe slots.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I've had that happen with two Amazon orders. They sent me the same item twice but they arrived a few days apart. I went to live online customer support and told them they sent me a duplicate item and asked how to return it. Both times they told me to just keep the extra item and thanked me for my honesty and time. Granted they were not expensive items.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Some of the feedback in here kinda lets me realize how cheap the crap is we must be buying. Hilarious

Reply/Quote
I now own a set of crap chisels I once ordered online. I called them more than once to return them and they did actually replace them with a much better set, but never got around to giving me the information of where to return the bad set. They were clear about one thing .. DO NOT RETURN THEM TO THEM. . As if I was supposed to perhaps book a tramp steamer to have them sent to a sea port somewhere in China?  
I managed to modify them to be fairly decent and gave them to my son so technically I don't own them anymore and the guilt I may have ever felt actually subsided to the point that I don't actually feel bad and I pretty much tossed my ethics aside in the matter..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2018, 04:47 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Some of the feedback in here kinda lets me realize how cheap the crap is we must be buying. Hilarious

Oh I don't know about that.. What's cheap crap to you might be high quality and expensive commodities somewhere else in our never ending global cheap crap market place.  Yeah. uhhh no.. lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote