Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Etymology of "asshat" unclear.
I love the term "asshat" and have often wondered where it came from.  I always thought it meant someone with his head up his ass.  Clueless to his surroundings.  

But apparently it also means "subject of severe abuse."...... https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/asshat

The seemingly nonsensical linking of ass and hat has a curious earlier history as a sort of cultural meme. Examples of the linkage can be found in dialogue lines from films: “Anyone found bipedal in five wears his ass for a hat!” (addressed to the employees of a bank as the robbers leave, Raising Arizona, 1987, script by Ethan and Joel Coen); Of more immediate etymological relevance may be this dialogue sequence from the television series That ‘70’s Show: “RED: Eric, if you don't want to wear your ass for a hat, you'll get up here, pronto! DONNA: You better go. You know how that ass-hat screws up your hair” (“Red Fired Up,” Episode 24 of Season 2, script by Dave Schiff, first aired May 8, 2000).

Then there was, “I like your ass. Can I wear it as a hat?” (a character’s parody of a flirtatious advance, City Slickers, 1991, script by Lowell Ganz and Babaloo Mandel).

So what does it mean?

Can it mean whatever you want it to mean?

Is "asshat" the modern art of insults?
Reply/Quote
My understanding is back when the FCC started allowing use of the "a-word", they did not allow it in combination with the word "hole". So radio guys started saying a-hat because they couldn't say a-hole.
Reply/Quote
I have a couple of these.

[Image: d321.jpg]
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
So I guess this makes you an asshatemologist.. One who studies the origins of ass hattery.. 
Or let's get fancy here.. gaidaroskapeloemology which is roughly the Greek translation of ass hat emology.. 

This is important stuff you know..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote