Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eugenio Suarez HR race
Suarez currently is tied for the major league lead in HR with 47.  He has 12 games left which gives him a a shot at George Fosters team record of 52.  Leading the league would be an incredible feat.  Even if the ball is juiced it is juiced for all the players.  So I don't want to sound like I am bashing Suarez, but it would be a shame if he broke Fosters team record under these circumstances.

Foster hit his team record 52 in 1977.  This was in a "dead ball" era.  There are probably other factors that determine how many home runs are hit besides the ball, but when the numbers go down across the entire league part of it is clearly out of the control of the hitters.  Fosters 52 HR season was like a lightening bolt out of the blue.  Over the previous 5 seasons there had only been four 40 home run seasons and no one had hit 45.  It had been 12 years since anyone hit 50+.

Compare that to today.  Over the last 5 years there have been twenty-six 40 home runs seasons with 6 of 45+.  Just two years ago 2 players hit 50+.

The year Foster hit 52 Jeff Burroughs would have had to hit over a quarter again as many home runs as he did (41) to catch Foster.  He was the only other player to hit 40 that year. This year there are already 7 players with 40+ and 6 more within 37 who could easily hit 40.  Three already have 45+ with three more sitting at 44.
Reply/Quote
I really miss old school baseball. I miss legit homeruns, speedy base stealers, small ball and pitching duels. Having said that, it would be great to see Suarez win the HR Title.
Reply/Quote
George Foster was a scary dude. With that Said, G. Vaughn was even more scary. The Punisher sort of reminds me of Foster in the plate. Just to think Suarez is approaching those records with the team down is amazing. Again, Suarez is close to breaking Andrés Galarraga’s record (fellow Venezuela player from 1990s).
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 10:39 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I really miss old school baseball. I miss legit homeruns, speedy base stealers, small ball and pitching duels. Having said that, it would be great to see Suarez win the HR Title.

When it comes to sports many people like the "old ways" just because of nostalgia, but with baseball the new game is really more boring.

More walks means less balls in play and less action.

More strikeouts means less balls in play and less action.

More home runs means less balls in play and less action.

Fewer stolen base attempts means less action.

The game is turning more into "home run derby" where the fielders just stand around and watch the batter either walk, strike out, or trot around the bases after a HR.

The NFL has turned into a passing league, and the NBA is all about the three-point shot, but there is still the same amount of action to watch.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2019, 11:23 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: George Foster was a scary dude.

I was at a Reds game when Foster hit one into the Red seats (upper deck) at Riverfront.  It is the kind of thing you can't get a good perspective of unless you see it live.  It was incredible how far that ball was hit.

I don't remember what season it was, but it was right after the 7th inning stretch.  Foster must have been leading off because fans were just settling back into their seats.  It sounded like a gunshot when he hit it and everyone just froze and watched it.
Reply/Quote
I don't really care about the ball. It's been juiced before and MLB has tinkered with rules a lot over the years. This is just another phase. I give Suarez a lot more credit than the roid boys of Sosa, Bonds and McQuire..    
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I hope he hits a dinger today, he is running out of opportunities.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Alonso with number 48.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2019, 11:44 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Alonso with number 48.

Dammit.  
Side thread note, The Punisher hits #16...
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2019, 12:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: When it comes to sports many people like the "old ways" just because of nostalgia, but with baseball the new game is really more boring.

More walks means less balls in play and less action.

More strikeouts means less balls in play and less action.

More home runs means less balls in play and less action.

Fewer stolen base attempts means less action.

The game is turning more into "home run derby" where the fielders just stand around and watch the batter either walk, strike out, or trot around the bases after a HR.

The NFL has turned into a passing league, and the NBA is all about the three-point shot, but there is still the same amount of action to watch.

All good points. I happened to notice that of the qualified hitters in the Nl that only 12 are hitting over .290. That’s really bad!
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2019, 08:11 PM)grampahol Wrote: I don't really care about the ball. It's been juiced before and MLB has tinkered with rules a lot over the years. This is just another phase. I give Suarez a lot more credit than the roid boys of Sosa, Bonds and McQuire..    

I don’t remember the balls being juiced before last year. I definitely remember the players being juiced and the league obviously knew what was going on but turned their head and let it happen.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2019, 03:11 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: All good points. I happened to notice that of the qualified hitters in the Nl that only 12 are hitting over .290. That’s really bad!

Outlaw the shift.

My proposal was that you get 8 shifts per game. Put a red hash mark 12-15 feet of each side of second base. If a 2B, 3B or SS goes past that mark, it is a shift. I proposed 8 because that means that at least one inning per game . . . no shifts. No extra shifts allowed for extra innings.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2019, 06:47 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Outlaw the shift.

My proposal was that you get 8 shifts per game. Put a red hash mark 12-15 feet of each side of second base. If a 2B, 3B or SS goes past that mark, it is a shift. I proposed 8 because that means that at least one inning per game . . . no shifts. No extra shifts allowed for extra innings.

That would be like outlawing the slider.

Batters just have to adjust and hit the other way.  You can't punish smart managers.
Reply/Quote
And there's #48!
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2019, 06:47 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Outlaw the shift.

Agreed. There should be defined positions. That’s probably factored a lot on how Votto has hit too.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2019, 11:04 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Agreed. There should be defined positions. That’s probably factored a lot on how Votto has hit too.

Votto back to squatting down low again and just looked bad striking out.

Love to see Suarez take another one deep next inning
Reply/Quote
Nice!
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Reds play the Mets at home starting tomorrow. Both home run leaders in one of the friendliest home run parks in MLB. Should be a fun weekend.
Reply/Quote
Alonso just golfed #50 over the Toyota sign in right center.
Reply/Quote
I sure hope he can club two more before it's over ! It's just cool for a Red to reach 50 HR crown or not.
Reply/Quote