Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eugenio Suarez could be real deal at SS
Last year when the Reds called up Kristopher Negron I was really impressed with his ,271 average and .479 slugging percentage. Then I looked up his stats and found out he was a 28 year old career minor league player with a .267 BA and .405 slugging percentage at the AAA level. I realized his production last year with the Reds was just a fluke. Sure enough he has hit only ,141 with the Reds this year.

This year the Reds have called up Eugenio Suarez (obtained from Detroit in the Alfredo Simon trade) to play shortstop after Cozart was injured. He has been killing it with the Reds hitting .316 with a .361 on base percentage. However, unlike Negron, Suarez looks like he could be the real deal. I don't expect him to hit .316 for the season, but he is still just 23 years old and has put up very good offensive numbers for a shortstop in the minors. Over the last two seasons he has 401 ABs in the minor leagues (246 at AAA, 155 at AA). He has hit a combines .272 with a .474 slugging percentage, 27 doubles, and 14 HR. He has also drawn 47 BB, drove in 61 runs and scored 62. Projected over a full season (600 AB) that would project to 41 doubles, 21 HR, 71 BB, 92 runs and 93 RBI.

I have always been a big supporter of Cozart. He is a much better offensive player than a lot of people give him credit for, and he is a great defensive shortstop. However if Suarez continues to hit and can play decent defense we may be able to trade one of them for some other position of need.
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2015, 03:31 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Last year when the Reds called up Kristopher Negron I was really impressed with his ,271 average and .479 slugging percentage.  Then I looked up his stats and found out he was a 28 year old career minor league player with a .267 BA and .405 slugging percentage at the AAA level.  I realized his production last year with the Reds was just a fluke.  Sure enough he has hit only ,141 with the Reds this year.

This year the Reds have called up Eugenio Suarez (obtained from Detroit in the Alfredo Simon trade) to play shortstop after Cozart was injured.  He has been killing it with the Reds hitting .316 with a .361 on base percentage.  However, unlike Negron, Suarez looks like he could be the real deal.  I don't expect him to hit .316 for the season, but he is still just 23 years old and has put up very good offensive numbers for a shortstop in the minors.  Over the last two seasons he has 401 ABs in the minor leagues (246 at AAA, 155 at AA).  He has hit a combines .272 with a .474 slugging percentage, 27 doubles, and 14 HR.  He has also drawn 47 BB, drove in 61 runs and scored 62.  Projected over a full season (600 AB) that would project to 41 doubles, 21 HR, 71 BB, 92 runs and 93 RBI.

I have always been a big supporter of Cozart.  He is a much better offensive player than a lot of people give him credit for, and he is a great defensive shortstop.  However if Suarez continues to hit and can play decent defense we may be able to trade one of them for some other position of need.

Someone on the radio brought up a good point yesterday on the topic of Cozart/Suarez. Guys like Zack are hard to come by. He's great defensively and decent hitting (aside from the 2014 season). We've seen Suarez struggle lately in the infield, im hoping he can tighten things up, im not worried about his bat. Maybe he can be the successor at 2B.
Reply/Quote
Suarez still going strong.

Still hitting over .300 with 5 HR and 17 RBI in just 121 ABs. That projects to 25 HR and 85 RBI over a full season.
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2015, 03:31 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Last year when the Reds called up Kristopher Negron I was really impressed with his ,271 average and .479 slugging percentage.  Then I looked up his stats and found out he was a 28 year old career minor league player with a .267 BA and .405 slugging percentage at the AAA level.  I realized his production last year with the Reds was just a fluke.  Sure enough he has hit only ,141 with the Reds this year.

This year the Reds have called up Eugenio Suarez (obtained from Detroit in the Alfredo Simon trade) to play shortstop after Cozart was injured.  He has been killing it with the Reds hitting .316 with a .361 on base percentage.  However, unlike Negron, Suarez looks like he could be the real deal.  I don't expect him to hit .316 for the season, but he is still just 23 years old and has put up very good offensive numbers for a shortstop in the minors.  Over the last two seasons he has 401 ABs in the minor leagues (246 at AAA, 155 at AA).  He has hit a combines .272 with a .474 slugging percentage, 27 doubles, and 14 HR.  He has also drawn 47 BB, drove in 61 runs and scored 62.  Projected over a full season (600 AB) that would project to 41 doubles, 21 HR, 71 BB, 92 runs and 93 RBI.

I have always been a big supporter of Cozart.  He is a much better offensive player than a lot of people give him credit for, and he is a great defensive shortstop.  However if Suarez continues to hit and can play decent defense we may be able to trade one of them for some other position of need.

He's been a terror at the plate, for sure. He's fielding ability - in particular his arm strength - makes me think he may be a better fit for second. But he's earned a greater role and more PT on this team. I am excited to see how he progresses. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If they trade BP, I see Suarez filling the void at second and Cozart remaining at short.

Off topic (kinda), but there's a rumor floating around about a Reds-Yankees trade with Cueto and Phillips going to the New York and the Reds getting Robert Refsnyder (2b, OF) and Gary Sanchez (catcher) in return. The main benefit to the Reds would be purging BP's contract from the payroll.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2015, 07:56 PM)samhain Wrote: If they trade BP, I see Suarez filling the void at second and Cozart remaining at short.  

Off topic (kinda), but there's a rumor floating around about a Reds-Yankees trade with Cueto and Phillips going to the New York and the Reds getting Robert Refsnyder (2b, OF) and Gary Sanchez (catcher) in return.  The main benefit to the Reds would be purging BP's contract from the payroll.

and Refsnyder being in the system. Votto, Winker and Refsnyder would give us an unbelievable amount of patience and quality hitting 
Reply/Quote
Trading BP is a bit of an issue since he has a the ability to block any trade, and I believe he has said he doesn't want to go to New York. I'd hate to see them deal Phillips, the guy is amazing defensively, and I'd just like to see him retire a Red.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I could see Suarez moving over to 2B. Phillips' defense is incredible, but his bat is tired. He's had a minor resurgence this year, batting .274/.310/.357 but his power is gone entirely. 17 extra base hits in 332 ABs. Ugh.

I don't know exactly what we'd do with Phillips, as his contract makes him difficult to move (12 million for that little production is troubling), but he doesn't really have the offensive production to justify starting him next season, despite his incredible defense.
Reply/Quote
Fans always love the newest flavor of ice cream....

Yes, he could be the real deal.....or not....

What I mean is, Pete Rose, The Hit King, said players come in and maybe are hot. Then players of all teams trade notes on him. Scout who only watch baseball games find weaknesses.....The Suarez Canal may be the real deal, but it will take years to tell. As with all Reds players, the fans will turn on him way before then. ( I never thought I would hear fans boo Bench or Morgan, but they did. I learned the fans are idiots. )
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Good bat, but fielding leaves a bit to be desired......

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote