Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Evan McPherson, Franchise Record Holder
(12-19-2021, 08:07 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Evan McPherson now holds the following Bengals franchise records after just 14 games as a Bengal:
Longest FG - 58 yards
Most 50+ yard FGs made as a Bengal - 9 (and counting)

For the first record, McPherson passes Randy Bullock, who kicked a 57-yarder against the Dolphins in 2019.

For the second record, he passed the following Bengals:
Muhlmann - 8
Pelfrey - 8
Nugent - 8
Graham - 7
Bullock - 7
Breech - 6

The 2nd record is especially impressive, as all of the above guys kicked for the Bengals for 4+ years each.
Keep an eye on his FG%, as he's currently sitting at 2nd behind only Shayne Graham for Bengals kickers who have 25+ attempts with the club.
Graham ended his Bengal career at 86.8%
At the time of posting this, McPherson is 3/3 today, putting him at 24 made against 28 attempted - 85.7%

That play by Burrow right before halftime to get Evan a shot ended up being huge.  If they don't get those 3 points, Denver can win with a FG when they were on their last drive.  

Evan has had some lumps, to be expected.  He should never miss an extra point, but his dominance from beyond 50 has been amazing.  It has helped win games, and that is what you hope for when you use a 5th round pick on a kicker.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Very strong leg but he's a bit erratic. Most of the time he has a nice clean hit with a slight hook and sometimes he has a strong hook. He's been pretty solid as of late so hopefully he's fixed that issue.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Does that mean he's gonna get expensive? As far as I know, that's how players end up playing somewhere else in today's NFL.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 03:25 AM)Wyche Wrote: Ya know, me too. Pretty crazy that most of misses are short (for him) and XPs.

I know of at least one XP that was not snapped and placed correctly. You could tell by the ball flight. It's not always on the kicker, sometimes it's just a bad snap/hold. Luckily, he who is never mentioned and Huber are very good at what they do.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 08:11 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Very strong leg but he's a bit erratic. Most of the time he has a nice clean hit with a slight hook and sometimes he has a strong hook. He's been pretty solid as of late so hopefully he's fixed that issue.

I'm hopeful it's just a young rookie still developing his kicking game & nothing to be concerned about in the long run. Still, I'll take the hooks when when he can put up 3 points with 50+ yard kicks.
Reply/Quote
This is why you select kickers before other teams.

5th looked too early but I was pretty excited about him. He’s a legitimate weapon and now teams have to defend us harder because of him.

More wins. That’s important.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 10:07 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: This is why you select kickers before other teams.

5th looked too early but I was pretty excited about him. He’s a legitimate weapon and now teams have to defend us harder because of him.

More wins. That’s important.

I think it can't go understated how smart of a pick he was in the 5th round. I appreciate Duke and the team didn't wait to see if a kicker was available as UDFA, but rather targeted their guy and made the pick. As Huber inches closer to his career ending, I'd also be okay if the Bengals use a 5th to 7th round pick on drafting a replacement punter. The special teams game shouldn't be overlooked.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 10:00 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'm hopeful it's just a young rookie still developing his kicking game & nothing to be concerned about in the long run. Still, I'll take the hooks when when he can put up 3 points with 50+ yard kicks.

Simmons is pretty darned good at getting kickers dialed in...
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2021, 11:02 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: His reaction is the best. Big Grin

What a difference a week makes. ST from the doghouse to setting records.

Is it me or does it look like he does the "suck it" gesture to the opposing sideline?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 08:07 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: That play by Burrow right before halftime to get Evan a shot ended up being huge.  If they don't get those 3 points, Denver can win with a FG when they were on their last drive.  

Evan has had some lumps, to be expected.  He should never miss an extra point, but his dominance from beyond 50 has been amazing.  It has helped win games, and that is what you hope for when you use a 5th round pick on a kicker.  

Back when the XP was a chip shot, I'd agree. But ever since they moved the XP back, most NFL kickers don't go 100% on XPs in a season.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 10:21 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Is it me or does it look like he does the "suck it" gesture to the opposing sideline?

I see him channeling a little Triple H there....
Reply/Quote
Does anyone think that McPherson could be included in "Rookie of the Year" talk?
Reply/Quote
No fear, son.
Reply/Quote
Can't imagine how far his legendary status would be right now if that kick against GB is good instead of just barely missing.

Best part about Evan is he could and should be kicking in Bengal stripes for the next 20 years.

That is a very nice luxury for the Bengals and may even relieve some stress from us fans too. Not only from Evan being such a threat with his leg but to not have to worry about addressing that need in offseason where it can be a crapshoot as we all know.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Have never bought a jersey in my life always thought it would be a Defensive player if I did.

Yet now Im considering rockin' a McPhearson #2 as my first

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
It's worth also mentioning that McPherson has the most 50+ FGs attempted and made this year among the entire league.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
It's no secret kickers usually end up as the top scores on teams. McPherson has passed the century mark for points scored as a member of the Cincinnati Bengals. His 109 points put him 42nd on the franchise all-time list. He only needs 1,000+ points to take the top spot. Cool

1. Breech - 1151
2. Graham - 779
3. Nugent - 718
4. Pelfrey - 660
5. Muhlmann - 549

Number 6 is the first non-kicker, Johnson (FB) with 420 points.

Fat Randy, the previous kicker, is 8 on the list with 394 points. McPherson can climb into the top 10 in a few years. Depending on how the current season plays out, McPherson is in line to pass Stanford Jennings, Ken Anderson, Tony McGee, Paul Robinson, Chris Henry, and Peter Warrick to catch up to current Bengal, Tyler Boyd (132 points). The next kicker McPherson is chasing is Neil Rackers. He is 23rd on the list with 206 points.

I find this stuff interesting to look at: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cin/career-scoring.htm.
Reply/Quote
The kid is great but I think we try more 50 yarders nowadays.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2021, 01:46 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: The kid is great but I think we try more 50 yarders nowadays.

The most 50+ FGs Bullock attempted in any season was 5.
Nugent only attempted 4 at most in a season.
They are both "nowadays."

So what you say isn't really true. It's more about the kicker's leg. McPherson has a better leg than both of his predecessors.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I wondered about the pick on draft day but as soon I as I watched his college film I was thrilled. It's an absolute steal to get a guy in the fifth round that can immediately come out and impact games. Now we're in that club with the Ravens where clubs know they've probably given up points once we cross the 40. Or that if the game is on the line they have to defend practically half the field.

We'll see that scenario from the end of the first half in Denver play out at the end of games in the future. McPherson is another great weapon for Burrow.
Reply/Quote