Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evangelical Support for Trump Eroding?
(10-17-2018, 11:27 PM)GMDino Wrote:

First off:
Quote:Robertson advocated for behind-the-scenes diplomacy instead of publicly leveling harsh sanctions.

Secondly, Pat Robertson? This is one of the very few guys who've probably said MORE stupid things over his career than Trump.

Lastly, is Robertson one of the evangelicals who no longer support Trump or what?
[Image: giphy.gif]
(10-18-2018, 01:59 PM)PhilHos Wrote: First off:

Secondly, Pat Robertson? This is one of the very few guys who've probably said MORE stupid things over his career than Trump.

Lastly, is Robertson one of the evangelicals who no longer support Trump or what?

Just figured it was a better place to post than to create another thread.

I'd place it as an evangelical who supports Trump... purely for political reasons.
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(10-18-2018, 02:03 PM)GMDino Wrote: Just figured it was a better place to post than to create another thread.

I would say you figured correctly.  ThumbsUp
(10-18-2018, 02:03 PM)GMDino Wrote: Just figured it was a better place to post than to create another thread.

I'd place it as an evangelical who supports Trump... purely for political reasons.

Wouldn't that be true of anyone who supports any politician? Well, other than those that have a personal friend or family member in office they support.

Edit: Well, that's still kind of political when you get to the root of what politics is. Nevermind.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(10-18-2018, 02:23 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Wouldn't that be true of anyone who supports any politician? Well, other than those that have a personal friend or family member in office they support.

Edit: Well, that's still kind of political when you get to the root of what politics is. Nevermind.

Indeed.  Just that some (in this case evangelicals) are willing to go against what they claim are their own religious beliefs to do so.  To me that is worse.
(10-18-2018, 03:04 PM)GMDino Wrote: Indeed.  Just that some (in this case evangelicals) are willing to go against what they claim are their own religious beliefs to do so.  To me that is worse.

Well, that is in line with the theme of this thread.  Many, or some at least, Evangelicals have begun to question the Trump presidency precisely because it so blatantly seems not only to contradict Christ-based living, but also to positively celebrate venality and the reduction of ethics to "job"s and contracts.

There are theological precedents for looking the other way when the state violates the values advanced in the Sermon on the Mount, but there is a line between church and state that cannot be indefinitely stretched.  (There may be some selectivity in where and one decides the state goes to far. Separating families may be ok, but not abortion.)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(10-18-2018, 01:59 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Secondly, Pat Robertson? This is one of the very few guys who've probably said MORE stupid things over his career than Trump.

Yeah, but he says stupid things to a large evangelical audience every day. And other evangelicals — as far as we know — go along with it. And share the stupid things he says on social media, which gives them an even larger audience. Pretty soon, you've got people who think Christians should accept murder provided we can sell $100 billion worth of weapons.
Story is a couple months old, but funny as hell because his followers probably believe him...

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressivesecularhumanist/2018/07/christian-tv-host-warns-rachel-maddow-will-lead-coup-against-trump/?fbclid=IwAR2zaADYnrfIReGZREjuc3vHvGasEKDCfundtEoeqYKXUFWEVp86ZJ2aH2s

Quote:Christian TV Host Warns Rachel Maddow Will Lead Coup Against Trump

Christian TV host Rick Wiles warns his followers that MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow is preparing to lead a bloody coup to overthrow the Trump administration.

Right Wing Watch
 reports:

Quote:End Times broadcaster and radical conspiracy theorist Rick Wiles used his “TruNews” television program last night to warn that MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow had signaled that a violent coup will take place within the next 72 hours during which President Trump and his family will be dragged out of the White House and beheaded.

On his program Wiles lamented the fact that “people like Maddow and CNN’s Anderson Cooper on television is evidence that America has been ‘homosexualized’ and is ‘no longer a Christian nation.’”
Speaking on the TruNews network, Wiles, commenting on a recent Maddow segment in which the MSNBC host argued that the U.S. must prepare for “the worst case scenario that Trump is compromised by Russia,” declared:

Quote:America, you’ve been homosexualized. You’ve been Jewdy-ized. I’m just telling it how it is. She (Maddow) was spewing out, last night, calls for revolution. She was telling the left, ‘Take a deep breath, we’re at the moment, it’s coming, we’re almost there, we’re going to remove him from the White House.’ We’re about 72 hours — possibly 72 hours — from a coup.

Be prepared that you’re going to turn on the television and see helicopters hovering over the roof of the White House with men clad in black rappelling down ropes, entering into the White House. Be prepared for a shoot out in the White House as Secret Service agents shoot commandos coming in to arrest President Trump.
That is how close we are to a revolution. Be prepared for a mob — a leftist mob — to tear down the gates, the fence at the White House and to go into the White House and to drag him out with his family and decapitate them on the lawn of the White House.

Bottom line: Christian TV host Rick Wiles warns  that MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow will lead a bloody coup to overthrow the Trump administration.
(10-23-2018, 08:04 AM)GMDino Wrote: Story is a couple months old, but funny as hell because his followers probably believe him...

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressivesecularhumanist/2018/07/christian-tv-host-warns-rachel-maddow-will-lead-coup-against-trump/?fbclid=IwAR2zaADYnrfIReGZREjuc3vHvGasEKDCfundtEoeqYKXUFWEVp86ZJ2aH2s

I finally had to block someone on Facebook who was sharing someone's posts that God gives him visions and that in x amount of days someone is going to try and kill Trump, and therefore needs prayers. 
(10-23-2018, 08:44 AM)Benton Wrote: I finally had to block someone on Facebook who was sharing someone's posts that God gives him visions and that in x amount of days someone is going to try and kill Trump, and therefore needs prayers. 

First let me say that if someone feels that Trump needs their prayers then more power to 'em.

But also people who think god tells them/show them the future that just so happens to coincide with what they already believe probably need some kind of help.
Maybe we should not be so hard on the evangelicals. I mean is it really that shocking that people who believe in talking snakes, 900 year old men, giants, and flying winged creatures from the sky would also believe that they are helping poor people by giving more money to the wealthy and promoting peace and love by spending billions on weapons of murder and destruction?
(10-23-2018, 08:55 AM)GMDino Wrote: First let me say that if someone feels that Trump needs their prayers then more power to 'em.

But also people who think god tells them/show them the future that just so happens to coincide with what they already believe probably need some kind of help.

I'm a believer, but it's hard to have a conversation with someone who thinks they have visions. 

'Hey, Bill, you said the end of the world was today at noon. It's 1:30 p.m. Maybe it's time to get help?'
'See! Prayer worked! I saved the world!'

And the harder things get, the more people are willing to believe, because they need to believe something bigger than their weight is going to make things right. Which, as a Christian, is troubling. I think it makes it too easy for people to abuse the religion for their own ends. 
(10-23-2018, 11:18 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Maybe we should not be so hard on the evangelicals.  I mean is it really that shocking that people who believe in talking snakes, 900 year old men, giants, and flying winged creatures from the sky would also believe that they are helping poor people by giving more money to the wealthy and promoting peace and love by spending billions on weapons of murder and destruction?

[Image: andre-the-giant-height-2.jpg]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysopelea
(10-23-2018, 12:09 PM)Benton Wrote: I'm a believer, but it's hard to have a conversation with someone who thinks they have visions. 

'Hey, Bill, you said the end of the world was today at noon. It's 1:30 p.m. Maybe it's time to get help?'
'See! Prayer worked! I saved the world!'

And the harder things get, the more people are willing to believe, because they need to believe something bigger than their weight is going to make things right. Which, as a Christian, is troubling. I think it makes it too easy for people to abuse the religion for their own ends. 

Wait, are you suggesting that people cling to their bibles?  Next you'll suggest they do the same with their guns!  Ninja
(10-23-2018, 12:30 PM)GMDino Wrote: Wait, are you suggesting that people cling to their bibles?  Next you'll suggest they do the same with their guns!  Ninja

People should cling to their Bibles. Or their Koran. Or whatever gives them peace and guidance. There's nothing wrong with that.

My issue is with the people who manipulate it for their advancement while ignoring the message, which leads to others missing the point. Like a guy at my church whose solution to the 'mob migration' heading this way is to line the border with machine guns and open fire to "Send a message to all the immigrants" because they're a threat to Trump.
(10-23-2018, 12:49 PM)Benton Wrote: People should cling to their Bibles. Or their Koran. Or whatever gives them peace and guidance. There's nothing wrong with that.

My issue is with the people who manipulate it for their advancement while ignoring the message, which leads to others missing the point. Like a guy at my church whose solution to the 'mob migration' heading this way is to line the border with machine guns and open fire to "Send a message to all the immigrants" because they're a threat to Trump.

Yeah I'm in a church organization and last night I heard one guy on the other team (it's a dart league) railing on the ISIS members and terrorists that are marching on our border.

Of course half these guys refuse to believe that the Earth is not 6000 years old or that Trump has ever lied either.
(10-23-2018, 12:53 PM)GMDino Wrote: Yeah I'm in a church organization and last night I heard one guy on the other team (it's a dart league) railing on the ISIS members and terrorists that are marching on our border.

Of course half these guys refuse to believe that the Earth is not 6000 years old or that Trump has ever lied either.

How can they be Trump supporters and still believe that ISIS exists?  Trump has been president for almost 2 years...ISIS has to haven eradicated by now.  They're fake-ass Trump fans.  They're probably undercover Hillary-lovers.