Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Even I have to admit....
(04-06-2018, 04:56 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Here's my thing. I don't fault Ross for last year like most do. I think he will definitely be more involved then last year. But he's so small looking and proven to be injury prone,he even pulled a hammy doing the 40. I don't think he's a guy you can rely on already in his early career.

Also we are basically going into next year with the same weapons and hoping improving the o line will be the difference. I'm not feeling real good about that. If it was me I might be looking for a receiver in the first 3 rounds just to make sure. I'd even consider Ridley if he dropped to 21 but I know they wont do that and our fans would be upset.

The two big concerns with Ross are (as you say) being injury prone, being smart and being competitive enough.   And the concerns are legit.   But I think he has the potential to overcome.    I mean he came into the locker room all messed up.  For the first time, he's (allegedly) healthy.

Houshmandzadeh is the man.  Not only can he build Ross up and train him, he has the knowledge of how to solve recurrent hamstring issues.  His hamstrings were a legendary mess.   He went out and found out how to cure the problem with power yoga.   Hopefully he imparts this to Ross.

We need to take care of T, C, DT and LB before we look at another receiver.   I think Boyd learned his lesson last year and Malone will be in his second year.   With Eifert back I think we'll have enough weapons.

And maybe we'll get lucky in the 5th round again...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2018, 01:01 PM)3wt Wrote: The two big concerns with Ross are (as you say) being injury prone, being smart and being competitive enough.   And the concerns are legit.   But I think he has the potential to overcome.    I mean he came into the locker room all messed up.  For the first time, he's (allegedly) healthy.

Houshmandzadeh is the man.  Not only can he build Ross up and train him, he has the knowledge of how to solve recurrent hamstring issues.  His hamstrings were a legendary mess.   He went out and found out how to cure the problem with power yoga.   Hopefully he imparts this to Ross.

We need to take care of T, C, DT and LB before we look at another receiver.   I think Boyd learned his lesson last year and Malone will be in his second year.   With Eifert back I think we'll have enough weapons.

And maybe we'll get lucky in the 5th round again...

Assuming you are referring to 5th round as Marvin Jones. And if so, it will be important for fans to remember that Jones wasn't much of a contributor until his second year. People shouldn't have false hope that a 5th round WR is going to come in and contribute much on offense as a rookie. Especially with Boyd, Ross, and Malone all ahead on the depth chart. A 5th round rookie would be competing with Core/Erickson (most likely Core) for the final roster spot and will have to work his way up the depth chart within a year or two.

As for DT, which DT gets bounced in favor of what I believe you are implying is a 4th rounder or higher? I don't see Bengals rolling with 5 DTs, that's not their style. Atkins obviously isn't going anywhere. They signed Baker for a reason, so I'd be shocked to see them cut him. Glasgow and Billings essentially have only played their rookie seasons so I doubt the Bengals would drop one of them so quickly.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-06-2018, 01:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Assuming you are referring to 5th round as Marvin Jones. And if so, it will be important for fans to remember that Jones wasn't much of a contributor until his second year. People shouldn't have false hope that a 5th round WR is going to come in and contribute much on offense as a rookie. Especially with Boyd, Ross, and Malone all ahead on the depth chart. A 5th round rookie would be competing with Core/Erickson (most likely Core) for the final roster spot and will have to work his way up the depth chart within a year or two.

As for DT, which DT gets bounced in favor of what I believe you are implying is a 4th rounder or higher? I don't see Bengals rolling with 5 DTs, that's not their style. Atkins obviously isn't going anywhere. They signed Baker for a reason, so I'd be shocked to see them cut him. Glasgow and Billings essentially have only played their rookie seasons so I doubt the Bengals would drop one of them so quickly.
From what I could see Billings had the harder time maintaining his gap and staying on his feet.

But yeah, someone will have to go.   If they go with someone like Payne or Hurst (which I don't think they will), either Billings, Glascow or Baker will have to go.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2018, 10:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What a lovely offseason fluff piece by Mr. Hobson.  Wasn't last year's on how Ogbuehi was "toughing it out" at MMA camp?

The year before that it was Hunt going back to his Olympic workout regimen.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2018, 01:48 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The year before that it was Hunt going back to his Olympic workout regimen.

Didnt someone do yoga one year? 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Good to see the young man taking initiative.....fluff piece or not.  TJ was a tenacious player, and meticulous route runner....I can't see this not helping at least a little.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2018, 10:20 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: True, but it's the offseason, so it's perfectly fine to be excited about possibilities.

Ross has the ability to be a beast, but he just needs some polishing.

I think it will take a little more than polish to take the guy from zero catches to meaningful production, to say nothing about what a top 10 pick should do.

Reply/Quote
(04-06-2018, 06:28 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I think it will take a little more than polish to take the guy from zero catches to meaningful production, to say nothing about what a top 10 pick should do.

Maybe, but sometimes it just takes a little fine-tuning to make something click and get a player going.

Maybe he was a lot closer than everyone, including the coaches, have been giving him credit for.
Reply/Quote
I sure hope it helps
Reply/Quote
I remember Utect playing the guitar. did wonders for him too
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2018, 11:49 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Kirkpatrick is one of the worst corner backs in the league. 

id say the worst.   but easily so most overpaid athlete in the NFL.   hands down 
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2018, 11:42 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Just stop with this. He doesn't need to explain anything to you or anyone. 

I have been repping these stripes a lot longer than him and therefore he should respect the hatred for a rival. This is just the AAU, select teams generation.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2018, 10:57 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I remember when Ogbuehi was taught MMA and got tougher n became a better NFL player too.

Ogbuehi did improve. He went from really, really sucking to just really sucking. CO's problems aren't with his body, they are with his mind. He doesn't have the mean streak and the heart to play in this league. You can't teach that. If Housh can teach Ross to run better routes instead of just trying to use his speed, which is not going to work in a league where everyone can run, then we may see vast improvements in Ross. And we may see TJ get a receivers coach position...
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2018, 11:49 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Kirkpatrick is one of the worst corner backs in the league. 

(04-06-2018, 09:35 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: id say the worst.   but easily so most overpaid athlete in the NFL.   hands down 

These claims are ridiculous.  I don't have the '17 numbers yet but

In 2015 Dre played 97% of the snaps on a defense that finished ranked 5th in the league in pass efficiency. Of the 75 CBs that qualified for the stats compiled by ProFootballOutsiders Dre ranked 18th in yards per target allowed, 32nd in success rate (formula based on stats), and top 25 in completion percentage allowed.

In 2016 Dre played 94% of the snaps for a team that again finished 5th in pass efficiency. He ranked 5th in the league in yds per play and 18th success rate yet.

I am betting that the '17 numbers will also place Dre solidly among the top 20 CBs in the league.  Considering that 32 NFL teams now play 3 CBs on a majority of snaps that is a pretty good ranking.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2018, 07:04 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Maybe, but sometimes it just takes a little fine-tuning to make something click and get a player going.

Maybe he was a lot closer than everyone, including the coaches, have been giving him credit for.

The guy had a lot to overcome.  
  • No OTAs
  • Limited training camp
  • Never fully over his injuries
  • In the dog house with pretty much everyone, including his HC, OC and QB (despite Marvin saying he doesn't have one of those)
  • An unfortunate fumble that probably 80-90% of pros would have also made
  • Really limited practice time
  • And just being a rookie - which everyone acknowledges significantly limits the production of pretty much 80 - 90% of rookie WRs
The guy never had much of a chance his rookie year.   Hopefully he gets a chance, but really he will be a rookie again in 2018.   And he'll have a wall of skepticism to get over from everyone.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2018, 01:29 PM)3wt Wrote: The guy had a lot to overcome.  
  • No OTAs
  • Limited training camp
  • In the dog house with pretty much everyone, including his HC, OC and QB (despite Marvin saying he doesn't have one of those)
  • And just being a rookie - which everyone acknowledges significantly limits the production of pretty much 80 - 90% of rookie WRs
The guy never had much of a chance his rookie year.   Hopefully he gets a chance, but really he will be a rookie again in 2018.   And he'll have a wall of skepticism to get over from everyone.

I agree with everything and, yes, he will essentially be a rookie, but he'll be way ahead of the curve and have a chance to start his career.  Working with JuJu and just coming in healthy and focused will do a lot for him and he'll be ready to start clicking and jumpstart his career.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2018, 11:02 AM)fredtoast Wrote: These claims are ridiculous.  I don't have the '17 numbers yet but

In 2015 Dre played 97% of the snaps on a defense that finished ranked 5th in the league in pass efficiency. Of the 75 CBs that qualified for the stats compiled by ProFootballOutsiders Dre ranked 18th in yards per target allowed, 32nd in success rate (formula based on stats), and top 25 in completion percentage allowed.

In 2016 Dre played 94% of the snaps for a team that again finished 5th in pass efficiency. He ranked 5th in the league in yds per play and 18th success rate yet.

I am betting that the '17 numbers will also place Dre solidly among the top 20 CBs in the league.  Considering that 32 NFL teams now play 3 CBs on a majority of snaps that is a pretty good ranking.

I am  betting his '17 numbers were terrible or else you would have posted them.   Dre played like trash last year
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2018, 03:27 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I am  betting his '17 numbers were terrible or else you would have posted them.   Dre played like trash last year

Not certain which site he was referencing, but I do know that Pro Football Outsiders only has stats through 2016, for example.  Whereas Pro Football Reference has stats through current, but not the categories that we're looking for, in the Dre K. example.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2018, 01:29 PM)3wt Wrote: The guy had a lot to overcome.  
  • No OTAs
  • Limited training camp

Exactly, i don't know how some people can hate on the guy after all of this.

He will surprise some people once he starts to get it. Had a lot holding him back so far, but now he doesn't and he is getting
help from probably the best guy there could be in game smarts. I bet Housh is a WR coach in a few years, if Bicknell cannot
get anything out of these guys, hope we give him a job on the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
With AJ Green being the 4th pick overall and Ross the 9th, you wouldn't think there'd be much separating the two. It appears that is far from the truth, as AJ was a star from the time he entered the league.

From the article, Housh makes it apparent that his technique and fundamentals of route-running leave something to be desired. It's nice that he's trying, but one would think he'd have this stuff down by the time he entered the pros. When ML won't even let you suit up, something's seriously wrong IMO. Let's pray it all clicks for him. He has 5 months left.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote