Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Even with addition of Hart and Glenn......
(03-15-2018, 12:52 PM)jj22 Wrote: Would you leave a job in an exec position, just to come back as a janitor? While your friends (coworkers) are still around to see the fall from grace?

Nah, you'd just go somewhere else to be a janitor. Save face.

I don't see how being a back up on another team "saves face" compared to being a back up with the Bengals.

But the main thing I would do is go where they pay me the most money.  Since Bodine is familiar with our scheme, coaches, and teammates I think he has more value to us than other teams.  So I think we may offer him the most money even if we don't bring him back as a starter.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 01:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't see how being a back up on another team "saves face" compared to being a back up with the Bengals.

But the main thing I would do is go where they pay me the most money.  Since Bodine is familiar with our scheme, coaches, and teammates I think he has more value to us than other teams.  So I think we may offer him the most money even if we don't bring him back as a starter.

New Scheme, New Coaches, and likely new teammates.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 01:04 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Although am not a huge Andre Smith fan or hater, kind of in the middle on him. 

Still Andre has a much better resume than Bodine's and should have been picked before him. 

while we did sign 2 OT's   or signed 1 traded for 1...  Andre was still the best OT on the roster last year... (was surprised on facebook by how happy where to see him go or say he shouldn't have even been here last year... when we signed him to play OG last year could have been much worse)
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 01:14 PM)Synric Wrote: New Scheme, New Coaches, and likely new teammates.

You mean if he goes to another team?
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 01:14 PM)Synric Wrote: New Scheme, New Coaches, and likely new teammates.

Same scheme, new line coach, Boling and Hopkins/Westerman/Redmond still the same beside him.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 12:52 PM)jj22 Wrote: Bodine won't return as backup.

Would you leave a job in an exec position, just to come back as a janitor? While your friends (coworkers) are still around to see the fall from grace?

Nah, you'd just go somewhere else to be a janitor. Save face.

I'll have to see it to believe it. Unless  it's a one year deal, and even then he's still starting. It just means center may be taken a little earlier. I think it's a long shot for them to pick a center in the first. I know things may be changing, but they don't think that highly of the position.

Bodine has to do a walk of atonement. 

If his ego gets in the way then ba by.

More than likely they will re sign him because nobody else will and we get a cheap backup with starter experience.

They have to draft a high center. At this point i dont see them having a choice. Replace bodine in the draft or get ready for another 3 ypc season with constant pressure up the middle.
Reply/Quote
Damn, Piano Man really F'ed us on this one...
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Pouncey from Miami is asking for his release. I would love for him to be our C. That would be a definite upgrade.
Reply/Quote
Pouncey has chronically bad hips played 16 games for first time since 2012 and ranked 34 out of 36 centers according to PFF.

At this point he's all name. Buyer beware.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 01:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You mean if he goes to another team?

New line coach, Lazor doesn't have to mix and match his scheme with Zampese/Alexander's verbage and blocking scheme will be different and likely some big changeover on the offensive line. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
It seems that you either have confidence in Pollack to get the best out of Bodine or you don't . While I'm in no way thrilled with  the prospect of having Bodine starting this year I'm also willing to see if Pollack can light a spark in him and turn him into the center we all once hoped he could become. Most of you understandably don't want Bodine back, but he will have a new line coach who may just be able to hit paydirt with him . We shall find out one way or another. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I am curious to see Bodine with a new coach, whether that be here or elsewhere. As a rook I kinda liked him. He was strong and aggressive. He missed some blocks but it was mostly from sliding off from being aggressive or having his weight too far forward. Then he became a dancing bear like most of the rest of the gang. Almost like someone, some piano someone, coached him to not be aggressive and just try and get in the way before you get rag dolled. Just wondering if Pollack or someone else could turn him into something?
Reply/Quote
I'm fine with them signing Bodine to a cheap contract as long as they get a Center in the first 3 rounds of the draft for competition.

Also, Bobby Hart is terrible. I really hope they don't look to him as an answer.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2018, 12:17 AM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: I'm fine with them signing Bodine to a cheap contract as long as they get a Center in the first 3 rounds of the draft for competition.

Also, Bobby Hart is terrible. I really hope they don't look to him as an answer.

Not sure if you fully get the "big picture", as far as the Bengals thoughts on the OL go.  If they sign Bodine, they are going to consider the position "solidified".  Bobby Hart was brought in as a straw man, for Fisher to knock down, en route to the starting RT position.

I'd sure like to see them watch Bodine sign with another team, and ride off to lull in his abandon, but I really think they just want to sign him back for cheap.  Hopefully that plan fails, and they spend an earnest pick on a Center, as well as a Tackle for the future.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 12:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The Bengals still have only 3 O-linemen (Boling, Westerman, Glen) under contract beyond this season, and Glen is the only one signed past '19.

So we will still be looking at O-linemen in this draft.  I don't know how high, but I predict multiple picks will be used on O-linemen.

Yep, completely agree.

We need a RT and there should be one when the Bengals pick 21 or in the second round.

I agree that even if Bodine is re-signed the team will end up giving another player a try, it's not certain he'll end up being the starter come mid-season. We really could see a prove it deal for Bodine and, of course, he won't.

I'm hoping there's enough young talent brought in with our draft picks that they push Ogbuehi right off the roster.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 01:09 PM)jj22 Wrote: Well we'll see (hopefully we won't).

Only way I agree is if it's a 1 year deal.

Agreed, one CHEAP year to see if Pollack can make anything out of him that PA couldn't.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 01:09 PM)jj22 Wrote: Well we'll see (hopefully we won't).

Only way I agree is if it's a 1 year deal.

Agreed with this. I'd be okay if it's a 2 year deal with an option for the 2nd year. I just don't want to commit long term and bring in no competition for him.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Mixon is calling for pouncey why not give him the center he wants.instead of Russell skates
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 12:32 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I can promise you they will be going after another tackle, possibly two.  I hope they pass on Guard and look after the Center.  I would love to see Orlando Brown (maybe you could slide again in Rd 1 and still get him?) and then go after the Center (Ragnow?) in Rd 2.  Since I am already on day 2, I would also go after Shaq Griffin in Rd 3.

Biggest issues shored up in the first two days of the draft. 

If you want Orlando Brown you can get him in the second or third round he will slide that far no team likes the way he plays straight up and down with no bend 

He won't be able to do that against NFL players so he will slide big time
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2018, 05:01 AM)The_WiseOne Wrote: If you want Orlando Brown you can get him in the second or third round he will slide that far no team likes the way he plays straight up and down with no bend 

He won't be able to do that against NFL players so he will slide big time

We will see if you are wise or if I am  Cool
Reply/Quote