Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Even with signing minter, you take foster
(04-08-2017, 03:12 PM)Beaker Wrote: You'd take arguably the third or 4th best DE over the top LB in the draft?

Minter is signed for 1 yr., and LB has been the weak spot on the Bengals  for many seasons now. Its always been some aging veteran, or UFA that they try to fill the LB corps with. Its about time they addressed it in the draft. Foster can rotate and learn from Minter and Burfict for a year. He then gives us leverage next season when Minter's (and Burfict's) contracts are up.

Foster is the BPA if Thomas is gone.

I disagree that Foster is the BPA if Thomas is gone, and, yes, that means there are four DEs that are rated higher than any LB.  I see a lot of problems with Foster (small, injured, most plays that occurred near LOS were created by amazing front four, D-bag alert at combine) and I wouldn't even use a first round pick at the bottom of the first round on him. 

Minter is only on a one year deal, but the Bengals will either pay him or Burfict to stay longer.  This was a warning shot to Burfict that if he is fat or his stupid side trumps his amazing side that he will not be here much longer.  I love it.  Competition at that spot will pay huge dividends.  Vigil will be a very capable SAM and nickel backer in rotation.

They will still be drafting a LB, but not in Rd 1.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2017, 03:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thought so, i wouldn't be mad at the pick but i like Hassan Reddick and Zach Cunningham better honestly.

Both can cover and Reddick can rush the passer. I just don't like how Foster lowers his head all the time when making tackles.

Interesting article about Foster's weight.  

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2016/08/trimmed_down_reuben_foster_now.html

I think Zach Cunningham is a better prospect as well.  Reddick is a better athlete but I am not as sure of his instincts.  
Reply/Quote
At this point I have my favorites, but honestly as long as it's not a CB or QB, I'll be satisfied. While the Bengals have solid starters in most positions, they still have room for improvement in some way, shape, or form at WR, DE, TE, safety, LB, DT, OT, OG, C, and RB.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2017, 08:40 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I don't necessarily agree with the Reddick pick. I would be disappointed if we drafted him at 9. However, the problem with attributing rises like his to just the combine is that you're neglecting the fact that, at the end of the season, people aren't watching prospect film. They're watching game film.

So you have the Mike Williams and DeShaun Watsons near the top of the draft board.

Then, starting in February, they start watching film of all the players who are draft eligible.

When a player like Reddick does what he did at the combine, you go and find his film and watch it. Because, outside of knowing about him already, no one is going to pay much attention to a linebacker from Temple.

So, the idea of going from a 3rd round pick to a 1st round pick is not a testament to people over drafting him. It's more a situation where his true value was discovered, which was previously not done prior to him catching people's attention at the combine.

In this day and age with all of these draft gurus out there, this couldn't be further from the truth.  There aren't any secrets anymore when it comes to the draft.  Everyone is on TV these days and there are hundreds of guys that are covering the dratft year round.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2017, 02:30 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: In this day and age with all of these draft gurus out there, this couldn't be further from the truth.  There aren't any secrets anymore when it comes to the draft.  Everyone is on TV these days and there are hundreds of guys that are covering the dratft year round.

Except that it is the truth.

"Draft gurus" and Mel Kiper/Todd McShay etc etc etc aren't the same.

Sure, some dude on the internet that is obsessed with the draft probably knew exactly how good Reddick was. Or at least he thought he did.

But the general population including draft analysts, fans and team personnel probably only have a passing knowledge of him prior to the combine, if that.

If there weren't any secrets in the draft anymore, there would be no such thing as a "steal."

It would just be...the best players go first and the guys who get drafted high are the ones who have success in the NFL.

And we all know that isn't true. Players fall through the cracks every single year. And you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

So much of who guys highest in drafts is who's name is hot at the right time anyway.

Reddick is just lucky that he was able to put together a performance that caught the attention of the draftniks and then, when they went back and watched his film they said "wow, this kid is actually really good. *gives first round grade*"
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2017, 04:03 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Except that it is the truth.

"Draft gurus" and Mel Kiper/Todd McShay etc etc etc aren't the same.

Sure, some dude on the internet that is obsessed with the draft probably knew exactly how good Reddick was. Or at least he thought he did.

But the general population including draft analysts, fans and team personnel probably only have a passing knowledge of him prior to the combine, if that.

If there weren't any secrets in the draft anymore, there would be no such thing as a "steal."

It would just be...the best players go first and the guys who get drafted high are the ones who have success in the NFL.

And we all know that isn't true. Players fall through the cracks every single year. And you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

So much of who guys highest in drafts is who's name is hot at the right time anyway.

Reddick is just lucky that he was able to put together a performance that caught the attention of the draftniks and then, when they went back and watched his film they said "wow, this kid is actually really good. *gives first round grade*"

Just because someone passes on a guy doesn't mean that they didn't know about him, just means they didn't think he was good enough to take.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2017, 04:03 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Reddick is just lucky that he was able to put together a performance that caught the attention of the draftniks and then, when they went back and watched his film they said "wow, this kid is actually really good. *gives first round grade*"

Too much hype for my taste. Go and look at the UC tape and you will see a guy who didn't even make an impact, even a slight one, in the game until the mid 2nd quarter. I think people are way too high on a guy that is a bit undersized and easily gets flushed out of plays by tackles. He struggles to disengage in the run and his coverage is simply average. He is a physical freak that is a project but not worth a top 15 pick at all based on tape to me, maybe on potential, but not on tape.

People compare him to Shazier.....I don't see it.
Reply/Quote
Everyone is forgetting we only run three backers in base and we don't run base often. Burfict and Minter will play most snaps out of the nickel. When does Foster play? And a 230 pound backer better be fast and be able to cover a TE or RB but from what I understand that's not Foster. Pass.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2017, 04:39 PM)Au165 Wrote: Too much hype for my taste. Go and look at the UC tape and you will see a guy who didn't even make an impact, even a slight one, in the game until the mid 2nd quarter. I think people are way too high on a guy that is a bit undersized and easily gets flushed out of plays by tackles. He struggles to disengage in the run and his coverage is simply average. He is a physical freak that is a project but not worth a top 15 pick at all based on tape to me, maybe on potential, but not on tape.

People compare him to Shazier.....I don't see it.

Like I said, I don't want us to draft him.

But saying he only rose due to the combine is neglecting the fact that getting attention gets you more viewers that gets you a higher profile.

That's just how the NFL combine works.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2017, 08:44 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Like I said, I don't want us to draft him.

But saying he only rose due to the combine is neglecting the fact that getting attention gets you more viewers that gets you a higher profile.

That's just how the NFL combine works.

Hype trains roll, it's what they do. He played sub par teams and flashed brightest against the worst of those. People always want to call out the next gem, but the guy just doesn't have it. Watched three games and I see an under sized 3-4 OLB who doesn't have a great position anywhere. Probably a solid player but not this shooting star some make him out to be.
Reply/Quote