Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Various streaming services
These services such as Netflix ,amazon, hulu etc, have really changed how we watch films and television series at least for most of us..a few are sticking to over the air like da good old days when we WERE the remotes for dad..
 I use a roku stick for most everything anymore and  we still have cable although I rarely watch it.. My dad is the cable junkie in our home .
Anyways, I got to thinking about how much cheaper it is to subscribe through streaming sticks and other types of devices than just a few years ago when if you wanted to watch recent movies you either went out to the movies or rented a vcr tape for a few days and 5 or 6 movies for the weekend was a 20 dollar bill out the window and half the time the tapes were already shot..
Now you can subscribe through (in my case roku) to various streaming services for $5-8 per month each and have access to hundreds..thousands of titles ,both movies and television series from around the world . Compare that to the old system with stores like Blockbuster and the 1000s of mom and pop video stores when each movie typically ran somewhere around $2 each and you had to take them back in a few days .
So now I have Netflix ,hulu, amazon (through my old woman's daughters account ) MHz Choice and now Sundance Now.. All for about $20 a month and even better I can drop services real quick if I don't like them with 1000s of different movies and genres to pick from. I don't have to drive anywhere, don't have to worry about the vcr tape getting lost or chewed up in the machine. 
Us old guys remember back when you wanted to see a new flick it was either a theatre or wait 5 years for it to show up on one of the networks and if you weren't home that night or the folks wanted to watch Lawrence Welk or some crap then tough luck ..

I enjoy a lot of foreign produced films with subtitles so I watch a lot of series from other countries.. My two current favorites are MHz Choice and Sundance now .
What are you currently subscribing to for your binging pleasures?  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Damn. I thought this was going to be about getting somone to pee on you.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2018, 12:22 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Damn.  I thought this was going to be about getting somone to pee on you.

Ok Fred .Your sense of humor credentials have been suspended pending investigation by the WTF committe ..  

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Streaming sites are great, until you want to watch live TV or live sports. Plus, you don't have the guide like you do on cable. I like being able to go to the guide, see what's on, what's going to be on, make my decisions for the evening. With app based, you just have to hunt and "know" what you want to watch.

Now, you can load the app for ESPN go or NFLN, etc. but unless you have a paid subscription on some "authorized" source, you're shit out of luck.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2018, 12:36 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Streaming sites are great, until you want to watch live TV or live sports.  Plus, you don't have the guide like you do on cable.  I like being able to go to the guide, see what's on, what's going to be on, make my decisions for the evening.  With app based, you just have to hunt and "know" what you want to watch.

Now, you can load the app for ESPN go or NFLN, etc.  but unless you have a paid subscription on some "authorized" source, you're shit out of luck.

There's only about 4 channels on cable worth bothering with if you include news  ..with this polarized country you pick your own personalized news.. Oh yippy huh?  Oh wait .I forgot the cooking desserts with hot peppers and garlic and pickle juice and bacon channels. . 

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2018, 12:32 AM)grampahol Wrote: Ok Fred .Your sense of humor credentials have been suspended pending investigation by the WTF committe ..  

Don't cross the streams.....

It could be bad
Reply/Quote
I use Netflix for movies and such... both outside of that I just have cable. So the wife and I can watch our shows when they come on or when we want thanks to DVR.

But most my free time is spent in gaming not tv land. So I really have no use for more streaming services. or Roku tvs etc.
Reply/Quote
Right now I have Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime and DirectTv Now. I’ve got a FireTv, Fire Stick and Roku stick to stream on. And an antenna for local channels (I think it’s been almost 3 years since we got rid of cable).

I just signed up for DirectTv Now over the weekend. Before that i had Sling (and before that PlayStation Vue, and before that Sling). I switched because I got 30 more channels and HBO for $14 more a month, so I thought I’d give it a shot. The thing I’m not liking is that it won’t run on my FireTv or Stick (they’re both 1st gen) so I have to alternate between the FireTv and Roku. I mean, I could use only the Roku, but I love the interface on the FireTv(and it’s easier to access the Amazon content using the Amazon devices).
Reply/Quote
Spectrum has an App called Spectrum TV Choice:
https://www.spectrum.com/choice.html

For less than $22 you get all the local channels plus you get to pick 10 "a la carte" channels. This is must better than "bundles" other streaming services offer. You can also get 5 premiums. (Starz, Showtime, HBO, StarzEncore, The Movie Channel) for an additional $15. This is about 25 additional channels of premium movies/series.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote