Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ever Had A Police Shooting Near You?
I mean a high profile one that was recorded and put on TV or social media because I was just going through Facebook videos and I see this description of Man Gets Shot By Cops After He Pulls a Gun on Them in Villa Hills, Kentucky because Villa Hills is one town over. I grew up with a lot of friends in Villa Hills, practiced pee-wee football there, and Northern Kentucky is one big bubble, especially this area, so I know it very well.

Anyways, there's a dude on there that gets pulled over and he doesn't seem drunk or anything, but he does put in gum when the cop starts talking to him, so that's kind of a dead giveaway that he's trying to erase the alcohol in his breath. The cop keeps talking to him and the guy is joking, talking back, answering questions, and seems fine, but then the cop asks him to get out of the car and dude pulls as gun.

Actually, I don't know how I didn't hear about it, but it was in March of 2021.

Maybe I didn't hear about it because of Covid, but usually something like that happening around here is all over Facebook and it wasn't.

You have anything big like that happen around you? It ever show up in your Facebook video feeds?
Reply/Quote
I grew up in Dayton and ran around with the "wrong crowd" so yeah..Witnessed a few. Dayton was murder city USA a few years back..  I ain't ever going back.. I got caught up in a drug sweep once on the west side of town. They grabbed everyone who happened to be outside that day regardless of why they were outside..
One of the reasons among several that make me hate drug warrior cops. (another story and rant)
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If i'm using your definition of near....daily. :)

I don't really consider things that happen more than a mile away from the house to be "near" me.

However, there was a "shooting" two blocks away from me on Tuesday that made me think "oh ok" and just move on. Maybe i'm just desensitized.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/dallas-isd-superintendent-police-chief-after-shots-were-fired-outside-woodrow-wilson-high/287-e9563f1f-b45c-481e-9cae-57b330771db6
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 03:27 PM)grampahol Wrote: I grew up in Dayton and ran around with the "wrong crowd" so yeah..Witnessed a few. Dayton was murder city USA a few years back..  I ain't ever going back.. I got caught up in a drug sweep once on the west side of town. They grabbed everyone who happened to be outside that day regardless of why they were outside..
One of the reasons among several that make me hate drug warrior cops. (another story and rant)

Dayton in Ohio or Dayton in Northern Kentucky?

I assume you mean Ohio, but that's crazy!

Never knew that about Dayton.

It's just shocking because, like I said, you might hear about that kind of thing in Covington or any of the cities near the river, but never in a city like Villa Hills, and especially not with an old guy like this!
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 04:36 PM)basballguy Wrote: If i'm using your definition of near....daily.  :)

I don't really consider things that happen more than a mile away from the house to be "near" me.  

However, there was a "shooting" two blocks away from me on Tuesday that made me think "oh ok" and just move on.  Maybe i'm just desensitized.  

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/dallas-isd-superintendent-police-chief-after-shots-were-fired-outside-woodrow-wilson-high/287-e9563f1f-b45c-481e-9cae-57b330771db6

Northern Kentucky, especially the west side, is a bubble where everyone knows everyone, so this was near me. 

Two of my best friends were girls from Villa Hills, my brother's wife is from Villa Hills, and, like I said, we partied there a lot in junior high and high school.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 04:37 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Dayton in Ohio or Dayton in Northern Kentucky?

I assume you mean Ohio, but that's crazy!

Never knew that about Dayton.

It's just shocking because, like I said, you might hear about that kind of thing in Covington or any of the cities near the river, but never in a city like Villa Hills, and especially not with an old guy like this!

Ohio.. Back around 199x (some time in the 90's) Dayton had the highest murder rate in the country for a while. I have seen shootings, but not actual cops shooting people which feels a bit odd considering how many happen on a regular basis. I don't want to see that part of my life again..I had enough of it.. 

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2022, 10:02 AM)grampahol Wrote: Ohio.. Back around 199x (some time in the 90's) Dayton had the highest murder rate in the country for a while. I have seen shootings, but not actual cops shooting people which feels a bit odd considering how many happen on a regular basis. I don't want to see that part of my life again..I had enough of it.. 

East Side of Hamilton was also pretty bad around that time... My uncle that lived there kept a loaded assault rifle for protection
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2022, 10:02 AM)grampahol Wrote: Ohio.. Back around 199x (some time in the 90's) Dayton had the highest murder rate in the country for a while. I have seen shootings, but not actual cops shooting people which feels a bit odd considering how many happen on a regular basis. I don't want to see that part of my life again..I had enough of it.. 

The 90's were wild in Lexington. We had gangs there tied to gangs in Dayton. Besides selling, the Dayton guys would come to Lexington to commit murders for the Lexington gangs then go back to Dayton, and the Lexington guys would go to Dayton to do the same for them. We worked pretty close with Dayton narcotics. They were "different"
Reply/Quote
In the early 1970's my cousin was in a car driving back from a high school basketball game.  It was somewhere around Jackson County Kentucky.  The police mistook his car for a car being used my violent criminals and opened fire on them.  They killed my cousin's friend who was riding with him at the time.  The police just let my cousin go home from the hospital and told him not to talk about it to anyone.

I heard this story for the first time just a few years ago at a family reunion and it sounded kind of unbelievable.  The next year my cousin's sister brought a copy of the story from a Lexington newspaper.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2022, 09:27 AM)Sled21 Wrote: The 90's were wild in Lexington. We had gangs there tied to gangs in Dayton. Besides selling, the Dayton guys would come to Lexington to commit murders for the Lexington gangs then go back to Dayton, and the Lexington guys would go to Dayton to do the same for them. We worked pretty close with Dayton narcotics. They were "different"

Now that you mention it I seem to remember mention of Lexington about that time although my recollection is rather vague at best.. A few years later I hooked up with a sheriff from the Middletown area who was doing off duty foreclosure work. he told us some hair raising stories of stuff going on..  Good guy though..One of those guys who would give anyone a break if they weren't too deep into things.. 

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2022, 10:12 AM)fredtoast Wrote: In the early 1970's my cousin was in a car driving back from a high school basketball game.  It was somewhere around Jackson County Kentucky.  The police mistook his car for a car being used my violent criminals and opened fire on them.  They killed my cousin's friend who was riding with him at the time.  The police just let my cousin go home from the hospital and told him not to talk about it to anyone.

I heard this story for the first time just a few years ago at a family reunion and it sounded kind of unbelievable.  The next year my cousin's sister brought a copy of the story from a Lexington newspaper.

Sounds more like something that would happen in Jackson, in Breathitt County than Jackson County, Ky, but I wouldn't put it past either place. They don't call it "Bloody Breathitt" for no reason.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2022, 12:01 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Sounds more like something that would happen in Jackson, in Breathitt County than Jackson County, Ky, but I wouldn't put it past either place. They don't call it "Bloody Breathitt" for no reason.

Or Drexel just west of Dayton's west side..That part of town outside city limits where thugs have to move to after Dayton cops tell them to leave town or else.. LOL  That part of town where gas pipes just seem to miraculously burn down every third house..  Nervous

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2022, 12:01 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Sounds more like something that would happen in Jackson, in Breathitt County than Jackson County, Ky, but I wouldn't put it past either place. They don't call it "Bloody Breathitt" for no reason.

My cousin is actually from Breathitt County.  That is where my Dad was from.  But he had gone to another county to watch the basketball game.

I have actually done a good bit of research on "Bloody Breathitt".  It is quite fascinating that a tiny rural county n Kentucky could get a nationwide reputation like that.  The killing was all politically motivated based on the divisions from the Civil War.  But it was framed as a "feud" because defending family honor sounded better than "political assassinations".

The guy who wrote "Hillbilly Elegy", J.D. Vance, is a great grandson of Judge William Blanton who was behind many of the murders.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2022, 12:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: My cousin is actually from Breathitt County.  That is where my Dad was from.  But he had gone to another county to watch the basketball game.

I have actually done a good bit of research on "Bloody Breathitt".  It is quite fascinating that a tiny rural county n Kentucky could get a nationwide reputation like that.  The killing was all politically motivated based on the divisions from the Civil War.  But it was framed as a "feud" because defending family honor sounded better than "political assassinations".

The guy who wrote "Hillbilly Elegy", J.D. Vance, is a great grandson of Judge William Blanton who was behind many of the murders.

The history thoughout this state is full of that stuff. There is a picture of a courtroom in the Mercer County Courthouse where the Judges bench, walls and furniture are all shot to shit from a gunfight that took place in the courtroom between 2 families in the 1890s. People remember the Hatfields and McCoys, but this whole state is full of that crap. It really is an interesting place. It still goes on today in some parts.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 04:36 PM)basballguy Wrote: If i'm using your definition of near....daily.  :)

However, there was a "shooting" two blocks away from me on Tuesday that made me think "oh ok" and just move on.  Maybe i'm just desensitized.  

I hear ya bud.

498 fatal shootings in Philly last year, 105 already this year and it hasn't even warmed up yet.  Going to be a very bad summer.  
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2022, 03:07 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: I hear ya bud.

498 fatal shootings in Philly last year, 105 already this year and it hasn't even warmed up yet.  Going to be a very bad summer.  

Louisville is no different. Things are going to be bad everywhere. Last year people chose sides, and they chose the criminal elements over the police. Now they have to live with that decision.
Reply/Quote
He said he's actually from Hamilton In Cinci.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2022, 03:46 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Louisville is no different. Things are going to be bad everywhere. Last year people chose sides, and they chose the criminal elements over the police. Now they have to live with that decision.

I'd beg to differ on both counts, but this isn't the forum for said discussion.  
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2022, 03:07 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: I hear ya bud.

At least none of us call Chicago home. I think we can all drink to that blessing. :)
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2022, 04:49 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: East Side of Hamilton was also pretty bad around that time... My uncle that lived there kept a loaded assault rifle for protection

Mine is close by and he clips are in arms reach.
Reply/Quote