Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Everyone remember how this off seasn started?
(08-02-2018, 06:29 PM)McC Wrote: I'll explain it all in three words--steps were taken.

[Image: hit-the-nail-on-the-head-on-a-solid-deep...ground.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 12:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Every time the Bengals have a losing season the fan base is upset at the end of the year, but last year even the hard core "homers" lost it when the bengals gave marvin a new two year contract.

Every year I here people talk about how they are "giving up on the Bengals".  Of course they usually come back in a while, but when Marvin got that new contract I actually believed people when they said they were through.

Now just a few months later a lot of people are talking about how they are more excited for this season than any one in recent memory.

I think the main cause for optimism was the removal of Paul Alexander then getting Frank Pollack.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
C'mon,  you know you're all just droolin for opportunity to dig deep into your pockets and bank accounts for the erection of the 70 foot gold statue of Mikey and Marvin on Fountain Square.  
My choice of words not withstanding..  Shocked
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-03-2018, 12:34 AM)Shady Wrote: I mean besides Carson Palmer? 

Wes Mantooth did......and several others have dropped season tickets on here.  I quit going to games after the last extension.....and I still don't.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 09:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yes, I was one of those "ready to jump off a bridge" types, after Marvin was retained.  However, after the coaching changes started happening, particularly the exits of both Bodine and Alexander, I started feeling a pulse.  When you add the coaching and personnel changes, along with how well this camp appears to be going, I'm pretty stoked about the Bengals prospects for the season.

And the key to all this? If we dont win a playoff game, the organization as a whole has gotten better. Sometimes a great team that is put together don't fully gel. Considering the new coaches and the new playbooks, etc? This is a posability that we don't fully come together. But what's more important is we are heading in the right direction and if we fail to gel this year, they will be that force to be reckoned with next year. Very exciting. Hope tank was on empty. Now the needle is on "F"

Reply/Quote
(08-03-2018, 11:19 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: And the key to all this? If we dont win a playoff game, the organization as a whole has gotten better. Sometimes a great team that is put together don't fully gel. Considering the new coaches and the new playbooks, etc? This is a posability that we don't fully come together. But what's more important is we are heading in the right direction and if we fail to gel this year, they will be that force to be reckoned with next year. Very exciting. Hope tank was on empty. Now the needle is on "F"

I know it's very early in the season, but this team seems to actually get along with each other. If they need to gel, I don't think it will take long. I fully expect this team to surprise everyone this season.

As to the OP, I don't think anyone was happy here that ML was kept. I don't know what was said between ML and MB, but things sure changed in a hurry! I might add for the better. I just read somewhere, I think it was media day, an interview with MB, where he doesn't like change because it takes to long to work..... That blew me away  Kind of explains the last 30 years
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2018, 09:32 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Well, I feel like they earned my interest:

Cordy Glenn and Billy Price with one first round pick.  Awesome.

Lazor given a chance to finish what he started, with a full offseason to put it together.

New DC.

Signed Preston Brown

Excellent draft class

New offensive line coach and scheme

No starting players lost

Eifert and Ross healthy and ready to contribute

Tyler Boyd seems to be out of the doghouse and in to the spotlight.

I have seen off seasons where the cupboard was left bare and no significant moves were made.  This was the biggest, and hopefully, best offseason in ages.  I am beyond excited to see what this team can do now.
Couldn't have said it better!
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2018, 09:54 AM)ochocincos Wrote: What would really concern me is if Marvin Lewis really wanted to make offseason moves like this both in coaches and players since he came in 2003 but only now was Mike Brown willing to allow those moves to be made.
I do have to wonder too if a big reason Mike Brown decided to keep Marvin was because he's looking to retire soon and didn't want to have to deal with an unfamiliar HC in his final years of his tenure as owner.

I don't think there's any doubt Mike Brown has meddled in the roster, who we keep, let go, play, and so on. The J. Simpson incident is proof, the Hard Knocks episode where MB is at team meeting and says let's try some DE at TE. I'll always believe until proven otherwise MB said you guys picked Ogbuehi and Fisher and they're playing ! None of this is a ML defense btw.

How much MB has really dictated though is hard to say ? I believe he's meddled A LOT

I do agree though MB doesn't want to deal with a new HC in what amounts to his sunset seasons. It's been speculated, hashed, rehashed, and touted forever now that Mike stepped back after the 2010 season, after this, after that. And I don't believe he really did. He may have gave some lip service he was but then when the rubber met the road right back at the table he was.

Has he really stepped back now ??? $64 question
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2018, 11:19 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: And the key to all this? If we dont win a playoff game, the organization as a whole has gotten better. Sometimes a great team that is put together don't fully gel. Considering the new coaches and the new playbooks, etc? This is a posability that we don't fully come together. But what's more important is we are heading in the right direction and if we fail to gel this year, they will be that force to be reckoned with next year. Very exciting. Hope tank was on empty. Now the needle is on "F"

Mine was past empty, now it's about 3/4

The MB/ML tenure has left a really bad taste in my mouth ! I remember being pretty drunk at a bar years ago and picking up a beer that I though was mine and it wasn't, had a cigarette in it and I damn near puked. That kinda bad taste !

I just can't get the sugar loaded kool-aid taste just yet. Perhaps I will if we start looking like a true NFL team this season.

But I have hope  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 06:29 PM)McC Wrote: I'll explain it all in three words--steps were taken.

yep big steps and not baby steps

I am warming up, but not near my previous years enthusiasm level. Now watching from home or bars versus in seats in the club section
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2018, 11:57 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't think there's any doubt Mike Brown has meddled in the roster, who we keep, let go, play, and so on. The J. Simpson incident is proof, the Hard Knocks episode where MB is at team meeting and says let's try some DE at TE. I'll always believe until proven otherwise MB said you guys picked Ogbuehi and Fisher and they're playing ! None of this is a ML defense btw.

How much MB has really dictated though is hard to say ? I believe he's meddled A LOT

I do agree though MB doesn't want to deal with a new HC in what amounts to his sunset seasons. It's been speculated, hashed, rehashed, and touted forever now that Mike stepped back after the 2010 season, after this, after that. And I don't believe he really did. He may have gave some lip service he was but then when the rubber met the road right back at the table he was.

Has he really stepped back now ??? $64 question

Yes, the meddling of Mikey Boy was definately on display on Hard Knocks that time. It is a real thing.

Hopefully it is a thing of the past and the moves made this Offseason kind of confirm that it is in the past IMO.

We will see is all i can say but i am both intrigued and extremely excited this year. Much different then last.

(08-03-2018, 12:03 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Mine was past empty, now it's about 3/4

The MB/ML tenure has left a really bad taste in my mouth ! I remember being pretty drunk at a bar years ago and picking up a beer that I though was mine and it wasn't, had a cigarette in it and I dam near puked. That kinda bad taste !

I just can't get the sugar loaded kool-aid taste just yet. Perhaps I will if we start looking like a true NFL team this season.

But I have hope  ThumbsUp

Lol, i have done that before! Terrible taste at the time but still makes me lol everytime i think about it... Hilarious
Reply/Quote
I've noticed all the positivity on the boards, and really I'm surprised. Not because I disagree with the reasons given, but because Marvin is still there. It makes me wonder if people have forgotten how important the HC position is, or if they're numb to Marvin, or if they just think all the changes will be enough to overcome Marv and his propensity to fail when the lights are brightest.

I just watched a video of Marvin talking to the team last year, and his pep talk to the players was downright gentle and he ended it by telling them to "go have fun". How can we expect fiery leadership from our players when our Head Coach lacks that fire himself? The positive side to this is that players love a player's coach and it's good for cohesion, but I don't want soft leaders when the games get tough (playoffs).

Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of things about this off-season, but Marv still being here is a giant wet blanket on my enthusiasm. The changes (particularly swapping Pollack for PA) were just enough to keep me around, but I'm not going to start talking championship...or even a playoff win.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2018, 01:36 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I've noticed all the positivity on the boards, and really I'm surprised. Not because I disagree with the reasons given, but because Marvin is still there. It makes me wonder if people have forgotten how important the HC position is, or if they're numb to Marvin, or if they just think all the changes will be enough to overcome Marv and his propensity to fail when the lights are brightest.

I just watched a video of Marvin talking to the team last year, and his pep talk to the players was downright gentle and he ended it by telling them to "go have fun". How can we expect fiery leadership from our players when our Head Coach lacks that fire himself? The positive side to this is that players love a player's coach and it'd be good for cohesion, but I don't want soft leaders when the games get tough (playoffs).

Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of things about this off-season, but Marv still being here is a giant wet blanket on my enthusiasm.

I think McC kind of put it best, that Marv Marv proofed this team lol

Last year you are right, Marv was about as inspiring as a wet blanket. He looks much better this year, he seemed
like almost uninterested and like you said soft last season. It was ugly all the way around and it shown when AJ
went after Ramsey, complete frustration. looks different this Offseason we will see.

Just hoping the changes take away Marv's weaknesses. A great run game can do it i think.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2018, 01:36 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I've noticed all the positivity on the boards, and really I'm surprised. Not because I disagree with the reasons given, but because Marvin is still there. It makes me wonder if people have forgotten how important the HC position is, or if they're numb to Marvin, or if they just think all the changes will be enough to overcome Marv and his propensity to fail when the lights are brightest.

I just watched a video of Marvin talking to the team last year, and his pep talk to the players was downright gentle and he ended it by telling them to "go have fun". How can we expect fiery leadership from our players when our Head Coach lacks that fire himself? The positive side to this is that players love a player's coach and it's good for cohesion, but I don't want soft leaders when the games get tough (playoffs).

Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of things about this off-season, but Marv still being here is a giant wet blanket on my enthusiasm. The changes (particularly swapping Pollack for PA) were just enough to keep me around, but I'm not going to start talking championship...or even a playoff win.

100% agree

All the positive stuff that's happened this offseason is great, fantastic, and been badly needed. And I don't doubt we'll be a better team this season because of it.

But when the fat lady starts singing at the end of the season and the playoffs are ahead we still have Marvin holding the mike. And nothing, not a thing, about this offseason leads me to believe this years post season Marvin (if we get there) will be any different from years past.

Hope I'm wrong
Reply/Quote
I remember thinking... "Im done if Marvin isnt gone" ... and then he wasnt gone, doh! Well, the reality of leaving my team was too much to bare, so I started thinking how can I be ok with Marv being here? Well, PA has to go I thought. We need a revamped OL, a good draft and some upgrades in the coaching department and we could be good. Well, here I am, as happy as ever. They far exceeded my expectations in what I thought they would do, but step by step, starting with getting rid of PA and bringing in Pollack, it just kept getting better. Now we have major upgrades at coaching, a revamped OL, more depth at LB, some healthy players who we missed, a good draft class and some younger players primed to emerge big time. Best offseason I can remember. I';m not only won back over, but I'm legit pumped about the potential of this team.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2018, 02:02 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I remember thinking... "Im done if Marvin isnt gone" ... and then he wasnt gone, doh!  Well, the reality of leaving my team was too much to bare, so I started thinking how can I be ok with Marv being here? Well, PA has to go I thought. We need a revamped OL, a good draft and some upgrades in the coaching department and we could be good. Well, here I am, as happy as ever. They far exceeded my expectations in what I thought they would do, but step by step, starting with getting rid of PA and bringing in Pollack, it just kept getting better. Now we have major upgrades at coaching, a revamped OL, more depth at LB, some healthy players who we missed, a good draft class and some younger players primed to emerge big time. Best offseason I can remember. I';m not only won back over, but I'm legit pumped about the potential of this team.

Yes, after we brought back Marv i said the same thing, well they better move on from PA or i will be pissed.

Said i wouldn't put any money into Bengal memorabilia and such. But getting Pollack and then move after move
was pretty much exactly what i would of done. I think about the only move they didn't make that i would was i
would of drafted an OT instead of Walton. But hey, Pollack must of liked what he had to work with and Walton
could end being a stud ST'er and a great backup in case Mixon or Gio get injured.

I heard from Lap that Kent Perkins has been looking very solid BTW.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2018, 01:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think McC kind of put it best, that Marv Marv proofed this team lol

Last year you are right, Marv was about as inspiring as a wet blanket. He looks much better this year, he seemed
like almost uninterested and like you said soft last season. It was ugly all the way around and it shown when AJ
went after Ramsey, complete frustration. looks different this Offseason we will see.

Just hoping the changes take away Marv's weaknesses. A great run game can do it i think.

So we can expect not to see Merv standing on the sidelines, with his mouth open, catching flies and have that stupid look on his face??  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2018, 02:24 PM)sandwedge Wrote: So we can expect not to see Merv standing on the sidelines, with his mouth open, catching flies and have that stupid look on his face??  Ninja

Sure hope so, the WTF look needs to go lmao.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2018, 01:50 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: 100% agree

All the positive stuff that's happened this offseason is great, fantastic, and been badly needed. And I don't doubt we'll be a better team this season because of it.

But when the fat lady starts singing at the end of the season and the playoffs are ahead we still have Marvin holding the mike. And nothing, not a thing, about this offseason leads me to believe this years post season Marvin (if we get there) will be any different from years past.

Hope I'm wrong

The only hope I have is that Paul's soft lines played a major role in our offensive performance - and in a way, I'm sure they did. I don't think he's the reason we've gone so pass-heavy in the playoffs though, and he had zilch to do with the defense falling apart.

(08-03-2018, 02:24 PM)sandwedge Wrote: So we can expect not to see Merv standing on the sidelines, with his mouth open, catching flies and have that stupid look on his face??  Ninja

"Did you jus say sumfin abouts meh?"

[Image: 605b3080d74c057a7bb6e409d29f3eac.jpeg?w=...316&crop=1]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2018, 02:36 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The only hope I have is that Paul's soft lines played a major role in our offensive performance - and in a way, I'm sure they did. I don't think he's the reason we've gone so pass-heavy in the playoffs though, and he had zilch to do with the defense falling apart.

"Did you jus say sumfin abouts meh?"

[Image: 605b3080d74c057a7bb6e409d29f3eac.jpeg?w=...316&crop=1]

Hilarious

Still, if the O-line sucks it pretty much kills everything...

Your running game, passing game and your Defense cause they are on the field all the time.

Even sabotages the HC even though we all know he has HIS problems as well.

Will be interesting if we actually have a good running game and Dalton has a pocket to step into. Last time we had
these things we were 8-0 with Dalton as an MVP candidate and this was with Marv and PA with no Pollack, Mixon,
Boyd or Ross.
Reply/Quote